back to article OFFICIAL: Facebook growth BIGGER THAN ... JESUS, the INTERNET!

Mark Zuckerberg has finally ticked off a mammoth item on his bucket list: Facebook usage – his company reckons – has eclipsed internet growth, and the UN Broadband Commission parroted those claims on Monday. The free content ad network, along with mobile broadband access, apparently outstripped global internet usage in what …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All those 'friends' you've got...

Would you take a Bullet for them?

2. Dadmin
    Holmes

prang me on wankbook

Very apt photo, very ironic....very clever.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lets all cheer for FB

and hope that everyone gets wise to their snooping/tracking on everything you post.

I shall raise a few glasses when they go out of business.

1. Mark 85

Re: Lets all cheer for FB

While I will raise a glass or two with you, I just don't see it happening. Too many folks will give away all their personal info without thinking twice. Or give away passwords for a chocolate bar.

Now if the media decides to start reporting on what's being slurped by FB and sold of to world+dog advertisers, etc. then things would change. But it won't happen as the media is part of the data feeding frenzy from FB.... and let's not forget Twatter...

Everything can be had for a price and generally those who know the price of everything, know the value of nothing including privacy.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

"growth in internet users is below 10 per cent for the fourth year in a row"

What ?

So who's no longer creating profiles for their little doggies/skunks/lizards ?

5. Your alien overlord - fear me

Why is LTE not the same as mobile broadband. My telco certainly flogs it as such.

And no, 3G (certainly where I live) is too pants to be either mobile or broadband.

LTE however, beats local DSL by a factor for 10 (4Mb vs. 40Mb download speeds) so I dumped DSL and surf only on 4G/LTE.

6. skeptical i
    Paris Hilton

AOL v2.0?

re: "But that particular [Internet.org] project is really more about ... offering a very narrow number of website[s] over Internet.org, including (surprise!) Facebook."

Forgive my faulty memory, but isn't the proposed Zuckernet more or less what AOL did way back in the day, i.e., plug people into AOL's cache of its version of (or a heavily filtered entree to) the interwebs instead of creating an onramp to the "real" interwebs?

7. LINCARD1000
    Devil

TFTFY

...content free ad network...

8. Camilla Smythe
    Coat

Fuck

Look folks just stop fucking each other. Orgasms result in procreation and more fodder for....

Oh Fuck It. That French Cunt Jean-Luc Picard lives in a non-parallel Universe. We are all fucked.

God save our gracious Zuck!

Long live our noble Zuck!

God save the Zuck!

Send him victorious,

Happy and glorious,

Long to reign over us,

God save the Zuck.

Resistance is futile. In World War Z....

My tablets are in my coat. Can someone get it for me.

9. FozzyBear
    Devil

I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere

drawing on the parallel between the irrational ficitious content of religion and the content in facebook, I just can;t find it.

10. jake Silver badge

As a great sage opined ...

... EAT SHIT! 4 billion flies can't be wrong!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And so the case..

..for involuntary euthanasia grows stronger.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bring net access to poorer parts of the world

"Facebook, with its Internet.org plans, has claimed that it wants to bring net access to poorer parts of the world where broadband infrastructure is virtually non-existent."

In other words ...

Facebook wants to capture and indoctrinate potential internet users into their walled garden before they can discover the freedom of the real internet ...

I guess having a company that large, you have to go to extraordinary lengths to be able to provide ongoing "growth" for your shareholders.

13. johnwerneken
    Thumb Up

Zuckered again? Don't think so

FB's ad-based model will most likely fade, so adapt they ought and it appears they are adapting. Bravo!

That which extends access and opportunities yo obtain, publish, share content are awesome.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love the picture of the kitty. Was there an article there somewhere?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like