back to article FireEye: The face of hacking is changing – and it's getting uglier

Cyberattacks from Russia have increased because of sanctions related to the Ukraine while assaults from Iran have dropped over recent months, thanks to the recent Iran nuclear deal. David DeWalt, FireEye chief exec, said these changes show how the diplomatic landscape affects what is happening in cyberspace even though the …

1. Bronek Kozicki
    Holmes

I cannot say I'm surprised

There is small difference between state-backed hackers and outright global spying programme. One relies on freelance hackers, stringy budged and no judicial oversight, and the other on employed hackers with huge budget and no judicial oversight. The more important difference is that one seems focused on perceived external enemies and the other on indiscriminate spying of everyone, external or internal, enemy or not.

It would appear to me that, surprisingly, the latter approach enabled by huge budged, seems to yield worse results - due to lack of focus, perhaps. Which might be related to demonstrated severe lacks in defensive capabilities.

2. Ben Liddicott
    1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FireEye Kit: the IDS is the vulnerability

I was going to make that same point.

John, I think you were waylaid by the local FireEye rep strictly for diversionary reasons.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like