back to article Salon Privé: The UK's billionaire-friendly answer to Pebble Beach

Electric cars are coming, but not in the way you would expect. The lawns of Salon Privé suggest a direction that will have the lentil-munchers puzzled. Salon Privé is the UK’s automotive equivalent to Pebble Beach. A car show for the wealthy and titled: those that actually buy Astons and Zondas. You might have to queue for …

1. I am David Jones

can't be bothered to send you an email but...

mW ≠ MW!

(but I still want one)

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: can't be bothered to send you an email but...

Dunno.. being built between Espoo and Salo suggests some input from the guys who used to eke out week of heavy use from a Nokia 6310 battery - maybe it is a milliwatt motor after all ;)

2. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Getting toward range you can live with.

So long as the range figures are 'real world' and not something like VW American emissions testing, then we're getting to range figures that you can live with. Just a shame these cars are a little bit out of my price range (my price range for an electric vehicle is more second hand milk float...).

3. Andy Tunnah

Ergh

"The only brand cooler than Apple"

Now if you're gonna bait your readers at least put some effort in.

Wait a minute...god damnit, I bit..

Bravo I suppose

4. derfer
    Coat

Is it just me...

or does the DB10 look a lot like a Ford Mondeo?

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Is it just me...

It's the grille shape. It really bugs me that Ford has copied the Aston Martin grille shape.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Richard Altmann
    Thumb Up

Toroidion

I want one! To put down the foot one needs a salt lake track. I might be running short of change for that. :-) And then ... One kicks off at one end of the lake and stops at the other end and has not gone anywhere except across the salt lake. Outstanding engineering! Add driverless controls, go into mass production and the world is your oyster.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Toroidion

Nah, you should be able to use I-10 in Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona, or I-90 in Montana.

"...about an hour (in a normal car)..." Ah, humour, I love it.

1. jzl

Re: Toroidion

One of the only times in my life I've been caught speeding was on I-10 in west Texas.

Be careful. The cops out there fund themselves on speeding tickets and don't have much else to do.

7. Frumious Bandersnatch
    Happy

"two commas in the price" ... "For a tenth of that you’ll get the Tesla P85D"

Oooh. Only 0.2 commas. I think my budget can stretch that far.

8. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Regen braking

I do agree that it can extend your range considerably but it requires a very different driving style from when using a petrol/diesel engine.

For the types who go to Salon Privee this would be a totally new experience by not exceeding around 55mph and not using Cruise Control really helps with the range.

It also helps if there are some nice long gentle downhill stretches on your route. Then you can literally coast along charging the battery at the same time.

The other downside is that when braking using only regen your car sounds like a Jubilee Line train coming into a station. The regen whine has confused a few passengers in my PHEV when running on leccy.

9. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge

Green my arse

Given that these cars probably took thousands of hours to build, the "carbon footprint" of building them far exceeds whatever is saved by having one of these electric cards. Unless this really does have a useful trickle-down effect, these are just playthings for people with too much money.

1. itzman

Re: Green my arse

Well yes, these cars certainly are not green yet.

But innovation tends to come in at the top end, and trickle down to the average joes as it stabilises and mass production kicks in.

What these cars are are development testbeds for hybrid, electric, battery, charge technology, regen braking etc etc.

Selling them to greenwashers at inflated prices is just the marketing.

And in any case, there is definite evidence the excess CO2 is greening the planet a bit, so actually the gas guzzling V8 is probably greener anyway. ;-)

10. Roger 17

Wheel Motors

Those wheel motors sound a bit like a concept Mini built by an electric motor manufacturer (PML now Protean) a few years ago.

11. Your alien overlord - fear me

But did they have any hoverboards? Cars are so passe

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon