back to article 'I may be winning this ad-blocker game, but I hate it. I'm outta here (with $100k). Buh-bye'

We do hope you've enjoyed this week of botched Apple updates, unlikely Linux lovers and surprise birthday gifts. Here are our favourite quotes. Bitcoin backers have had a long and contentious relationship with sovereign states, and this week they got some unwanted recognition from the US. The Commodity Futures Trading …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We do hope you've enjoyed this week of botched Apple updates

No, I didn't, I had no problems with my Apple IOS stuff.

Please try harder, you are supposed to be journalists, on a technical web site, and currently failing every day.

Go to the naughty step and relect on your badness.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: We do hope you've enjoyed this week of botched Apple updates

So you didn't have any problems so nobody should write about the people who did? Wow.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes by all means write about problems, but not in such a way to emulate various newspapers, who can only see the negativity in everything.

The Register is supposed to be a tech web site, sadly its lost its way.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The Register is supposed to be a tech web site, sadly its lost its way."

So why are you still reading it?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Aimee's hoping against hope that this plaint will somehow reach the ears of those in the Reg inner circle and effect change for the better. Whatever better is these days...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Well possibly, though from all the DV's it seems some are happy with the situation.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

I'm not getting your complaint. There was a problem and it got reported on. If you look at the comments under the original article the problems were genuine and seemingly fairly common...you got lucky is all. Problems like this *should* be reported because 1) Knowing it wasn't something you did can save hours of time and 2) Even if a fix isn't around at the time of article writing; you'll often get some help -or at least sympathy from fellow-sufferers- in the comments.

Possibly it was the snarky style of the article; but El Reg has always been like that. "Biting the hand that feeds IT"...says it right there on the tin. It fits right in with the cynical, hard bitten attitude that develops over time with a career in IT (that time is about 20 minutes if you deal with end users). Apple don't come in for much more of a shoeing than other companies; except that Apple's style is pretty pompous; which lends itself naturally to a snarky response.

Or possibly it was the clickbait style. That, unfortunately, is the business El Reg is in. If every other bugger starts doing it (and they have) then El Reg has to play along to a certain extent because that's what pays for the beer.

I didn't downvote you, but it was a close call.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Docter Syntax Re: We do hope you've enjoyed this week of botched Apple updates

In the hope it will improve.

In the hope there will be more decent articles.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

It really depends upon what the term "botched" means.

Any fule knows... uh, what DOES it mean, exactly...?

1. Mark 85
        Pint

@ Big John -- Re: We do hope you've enjoyed this week of botched Apple updates

I think it means that things are cobbled beyond belief or situation is normal and we'll work around it. Or something like that... It's not on my corporate buzzword list... yet.

It's Sunday.. my cell hasn't screamed at me about the latest cock-up at work.. so I guess things are not botched in my part of the IT Universe.. I suggest this............ ---------->

1. phuzz Silver badge
          Trollface

Re: @ Big John -- We do hope you've enjoyed this week of botched Apple updates

Unless your cell phone has received a botched upgrade and isn't receiving messages...

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Boffin

"he made over $100,000 in his fleeting reign as king of the App Store."

Although he's offering refunds so I assume that figure will fall. If you've got half a brain you'd ask for a refund and jump ship to another maintained ad blocker.

1. John Tserkezis

Re: "he made over $100,000 in his fleeting reign as king of the App Store."

"If you've got half a brain you'd ask for a refund and jump ship to another maintained ad blocker."

Let's hope the new guy doesn't succumb to a dump truck full of money on his driveway - or threats of knowing where his daughter goes to school either.

Let's face it, the ad shills are fighting back, and there's only one user - everyone not involved in ads.

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

In America we have bible-reading applications: every single one of those applications asks permission to turn on your microphone, your camera, it wants permission to read your e-mails and the right to send e-mails wherever it chooses. That scares me.

This is talking about a book that primarily appeals to people who believe in a deity that sees everything, knows all their secrets, and judges their suitability for a future afterlife, and he's worried that the app might be spying on him?

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Meanwhile in other news...

IOS9 is installed one more than 50% of active devices.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-says-ios-9-installed-on-more-than-50-of-active-devices-fastest-adoption-ever.1919094/

So a few updates might have borked but that adoption rate is something that Google can only dream about.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like