back to article Look out, world! Apple is about to launch .apple

Apple is getting ready to launch its own piece of the internet: .apple. The iPhone and Mac manufacturer signed the agreement to run its namesake top-level domain back in May, but has only recently moved toward "delegation," meaning putting the name live in the internet's root zone. It is however the registration of 29 …

1. Haku

I wonder if they'll let me register the domain cr

On the bright side it'll make it clear what parts of the internet to avoid, or go to depending on your preferred flavour of computery stuff.

1. Ole Juul

Re: I wonder if they'll let me register the domain cr

You're right, all these new TLDs are an easy hosts file entry. However, not being an Apple fan I hardly notice that alternate universe anyway, so there's not much point.

2. frank ly

Well, yes.

"... the big corporates have been taking things much slower and trying to figure out what to do with their branded piece of the internet."

It's as if they didn't have a plan when they bought them.

3. W Donelson

Let's face it...

... the real reason we have dot-whatever is to blackmail the Whatever companies into paying huge money for useless domains.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Let's face it...

And it worked, Apple paid the $185K for .apple just to make sure someone else didn't grab it and cause potential confusion. Now that they have it they're trying to figure out what the hell it is good for (answer: nothing)

4. Richard Parkin

Boring

"Although fanbois are likely to get very excited over the idea of domain names ending in "apple" (they tend to get excited over literally anything that Apple does)"

Maybe, but not so excited as El Reg when it finds a Apple story. It's all getting a bit boring. If it wasn't for the recipes I'd have to stop looking in.

1. messele

Re: Boring

Can't blame them for relying ever more on click bait to prop up flagging ad revenues.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So you think that web pages should be chock full of Adverts that totally obscure the original (sic) content?

Those of us who use Adblockers think web pages are served with less intrusive Ads.

Please explain what is boring about being able to view pages without seeing ads for p***s extensions? Oh sorry, I must have captured your screen by mistake.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

they tend to get excited over literally anything that Apple does

How do you know that? We you one once upon a time? Come on tell us. You know it will help with your therapy.

1. Richard Parkin

@messele and AC above. Quotation marks are intended to indicate quotations. If you had read the article you would have recognised the quote. It is the sentiment expressed in the article that I find boring.

5. Mage Silver badge

Such fun

Will Apple Corp sue them a third time?

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

Re: Such fun

Apple Corps doesn't own any "Apple" trademarks anymore. Any trademarks they are using are now licensed from Apple, Inc.

6. Sebastian A

I was about halfway through the list of domains when the word "apple" started looking wrong. Such an interesting effect, really.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"http://apple/"

That would probably break a lot of URL validation that assumes a domain name has at least two fields.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Indeed, it has been proposed (by Google, if memory serves) and rejected by the IETF on the grounds that single-name URLs already mean something -- they refer to a machine on your LAN. Using them as suggested here would run a serious risk of hi-jacking either legitimate services on your LAN (by external agents) or legitimate services out there (by other users on your LAN). Probably both.

8. crediblywitless

Just think, if only the names had been the correct way round all this time, it would be 'apple.ipad', etc.

9. BenBell
    Joke

I wonder

..how long it will take apple to register .samsung and start filing lawsuits.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like