back to article Internet Doomsday scenario: How the web could suddenly fall apart

Engineers have recommended a small but important change to the internet's underlying structure in order to avoid a possible doomsday scenario. A report [PDF] from the Root Server System Advisory Committee (RSSAC) argues that a key parameter in the internet's address books – namely, how long the information should be stored – …

1. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Domesday scenario?

Is that where you have a lot of Assessors going around every website and server and TLD finding out what they're worth and how much tax can be levied from them?

1086 and all that...

1. Shadow Systems

Re: Domesday scenario?

Or did you mean DoomsDay, an event that spells disaster? Because a DomesDay sounds like it involves geodescics & a plot point to lock Pauley Shore inside one for a few years.

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

You people are no fun. Domesday is the archaic spelling of doomsday (the last day of the world's existence). I'm only changing it because I can't be bothered dealing with all the armchair critics.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How about getting someone to write a corrections process that uses functionality similar to Splunk's create-new-extractions. Also one that, when I'm logged in, allows me to simply click a button to submit the correction, since I can't be bothered to look up the email account password just to send an email telling you that you should have already hired a proofreader (or that you need a different one.)

2. Shadow Systems

This could have been handled more eligantly by simply making a link of the first instance of the term to it's Wiki article that explained it.

Not being quite old enough to remember back in the early Thousand A.D., I was unaware of the fact that the DomesDay Book meant the DoomsDay Book, an accurate examination of all the property, holdings, & livestock plus the value thereof in order to keep a legal record for The Tax Men. Having now read (located at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesday_Book) I am educated to that fact & humbly retract my whiney blurb to the contrary.

But I still think it sounds silly. When I hear "dome" I think of architectural things not the end of the world. I reserve that link for phrases like "Microsoft Works", "Microsoft Linux", and "Ballmer for President".

*Shudder*

3. Frumious Bandersnatch

archaic spellings, was Re: Domesday scenario?

I know this is a bit OT (we're quite some time from the 5th of November, for one), but the word "bonfire" was originally "bone-fire". It might seem a bit of a pointless factoid except for (a) burning Guy Fawkes in effigy and (b) modern Irish still uses "tine chnámh" (literally "bone fire").

Anyway, I guess I'm just chyming in to support your regurgitation of obsolete/archaic/obscure words. You never know, it might end up giving them a resurgence in use.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wouldn't he related networks also be borked.

Also, what if one of the key signers wears thermite trousers and torches the lot of them. Then what happens?

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Happy

Simple.

You run around in random directions flailing your arms and screaming.

2. bob, mon!

"The" root zone server?

There are 13 of them, each one replicated in different geographic locations.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn

So *if* the TLD is DNSSEC signed, *and* a recursive server is validating it, *and* a root server is still answering queries *but* doesn't have sufficient connectivity to get the updated keys, *then* you get a stale signature and so DNSSEC rejects it?

DNSSEC breaks things in much more severe ways than this. Just don't deploy it.

1. Charles 9

Re: Yawn

Then what do you propose as an alternative solution to DNS Hijacking, which has already been exploited in the wild by malware?

1. Shadow Systems

Re: Yawn

A replacement for DNS? That's easy! How about semiphore towers & big, garishly bright, obscenely decorated flags? It's foolproof!

/sarcasm

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon