back to article Hey you! Better 'fess up to submarine cable cockups, FCC demands

Incredible as it may seem, there are currently no rules around the reporting of outages in submarine cables. On Thursday, America's Federal Communications Commission (FCC) tried to rectify that by putting out new rules for public comment that would make it obligatory for US companies to report any outages that saw more than 50 …

1. Mephistro
    Flame

WHAT???

"But this was working on an assumption of two hours per report and a cost of $50 per hour to produce the report."

So, either the concept of an automatically generated report is too difficult to grasp for these companies? Any good programmer can write a script or program to generate and send the reports. Shouldn't take him much more than a couple hours. After paying that cost, every other report cost them essentially zero and bags them $100. As if that wasn't enough, they raised that amount to $160?

This is fucking incredible!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: WHAT???

Spoonful of sugar and all that I guess.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: WHAT???

tbh I find the cost of $50/h to already be a bit on the high side for something that'll most likely be done by a low level administrative drone. All the info will already be available in the company anyway, it just needs to be formatted into the right form and submitted. Part of that can be automated, the rest can be done by someone who doesn't have a clue what it all means (read, is cheap)

3. Stevie

Re: automatically generated report

Worse, a copy of a report generated internally for after-disaster blame allocation sorry process adjustment is all that's required, so the work will have been done by most businesslike companies who have boards of directors and shareholders anyway.

2. BenBell

If the fees increase by much more, it's almost worth me running a few dozen broken pairs on purpose

3. Christoph

"Outage due to NSA splicing their bug into the cable"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

there hasn't been any splicing since before operation ivy bells

4. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Thumb Up

"radio stations will be required to say where people can find the full rules online"

On Facebook? With login required? Aw yeah, I need a reason to file another FCC complaint.

5. User McUser
    Devil

For our complete rules...

radio stations will be required to say where people can find the full rules online.

Forourcompletecontestrulesgotoofficialcontestrulesdotcomslashrulesslash-toofasttounderstandclearlygoodluckrememberingithahaha

6. Stevie

Bah!

Running cabled internet to submarines is a bloody stupid idea anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like