back to article Samsung SP-A400B movie and business projector

Forget TVs - to get a truly huge picture, a projector is the only way to go, and if you want to take full advantage of HD media, there’s no better way to show it off. It needn’t cost you a huge amount either. Just £1000, in fact, if you opt for Samsung’s SP-A400B. It's capable of displaying 720p HD content at screen sizes of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gary Littlemore
    Paris Hilton

Wall Mounted

Why doesn't anyone make a projector with the lens on the top of the unit instead of the end, that way it could be mounted onto a wall like a flat screen TV and project into the opposite wall? Which to me makes better sence.

2. Craig

Proper 1080p projectors

... can be had for under £1,000 anyways online. What's the point Samsung?

3. Matt

I don't want to sound rude but....

I wasn't impressed by the review. You didn't mention that it has no keystone correction or lense shift. Nor the fact that it's only got one HDMI connector.

I would expect more comparisons to other projectors on the market. In my opinion the excellent Panasonic PT-AX200U beats it in every area.

See http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ax200u_home_theater_projector.htm.

4. netean
    Stop

HD

since when was 720p HD?

I've got a DVD player that outputs 720p but pretty sure that's not classed as HD.

IIRC, HD is 1080i or 1080p... or am I wrong?

5. Alan
    Happy

@netean

1280 x 720p, 1920 x 1080i & 1920 x 1080p are all classed as HDTV

DVD resolution is 720 x 576, which is probably why you're confused

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_resolutions#Television

6. Matt

Wall mounted and HD

Well, you can put the projector on a shelf, which is what I do. So, that's a wall mount, isn't it?

HD is not only 1080i or 1080p, that's full HD. Also, be careful of thinking that 1080 will look better. A good 720p projector my well look better than a 1080p.

Of course this assumes that we're talking about native resolution!

7. Christian Berger

HD and other thoughts

Actually in the UK 405 lines was also considered to be HD at one time. :)

Anyhow, this seems to be a DLP Projector. How can you possibly view movies on such a device. It has discrete pixels and displays the colours sequencially. OK, it might be enought for fun, but at almoust 1300 Euros you can almoust buy a good used HDTV capable CRT projector.

8. brainwrong

Colour

"The shift from red to green, for example, would produce yellow light."

No, it produces a mixture of red and green light, which appears yellow to our eyes. You cannot use such light to render any more colours than you already can with the red and green shone separately.

Sounds like marketing bullshit to me.

9. Richard
    Go

@netean

Your DVD may upscale to 720p...

10. Brandon
    Paris Hilton

old tech?

My Epson, 720p, 3LCD projector cost me a whopping $800 US (less than £400 for you cinema buffs on the other side of the pond) six months ago and has similar if not better performance that this thing... What's so special about this one?

Also, there's a difference between a DVD at 720p and a Bluray disc at 720p. The DVD is essetially anti-aliased so it looks good on 720p, but the detail in the frame is no where near as great on a DVD as it is on a Bluray, even on a "mere" 720p. I can very clearly tell the difference when watching movies on bluray vs dvd on my projector.

Paris, because her devil is in her details...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Christian Berger

Amen! Me and my $400 1080p BarcoGraphics 808s - with its near-silence, 35,000:1 contrast, and incredible, saturated colors - salute you. Granted, it weighs 140lbs, but since it's hanging from my ceiling and not stuffed in my briefcase I don't particularly care.

And to brainwrong: Another amen. That line is probably only a bit more bullshitty than claiming 2000:1 contrast at 2000 ansi lumens! (Usually, projectors like this will calibrate down to about 400 to 500 lumens if you want correct colors. And at that point the black get seriously awful.) It's worth noting that the Spyder 2 is awful below about 30IRE, too. Not too useful to do grayscale adjustment down in the darks.

One final word:

"It's found a good balance between the two usage modes, but unless you plan to use the same projector in the office and at home."

To that, I say:

You think you've found a good balance between having an editor and not having an editor, but unless you plan to train him better.

12. The Mighty Spang
    Thumb Up

as a projector owner

I have the said HD65, got for about £420, powered at the moment by a £60 philips 5980 upscaling dvd player.

yay its cool. its driving a 120" 16:9 picture (thats 2.65m on the long side). Let me tell you its a damn site better than the last one i bought, a Seleco SVP400 CRT projector. £4500, about 35kg IIRC and a COMPLETE BASTARD to set up (3 individual tubes all needing to be tuned to each other so the colours match up. hours of fun for the masochistic)

for this to be 2000 lumens - cool. what this means is instead of a white matt screen you can go for a grey one. this increases the depth of your blacks, yet it will still have enough power to drive to make whites appear white. hell i've been considering geting a grey screen for my HD65. apart from the fact I had to bend the screen casing of the current one to get it in the house anyway...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

svp400 for 4.5k?1

I hope you bought that thing new in 1997, or you got serrrriously screwed. That thing is barely worth 200 bucks US in mint condition these days. My barco, with probably double the brightness and resolving power, cost me 400usd (that's under 200 in blighty if I'm not mistaken). The 2k pounds for that dlp will easily but you a g90 9" crt, which will match or beat the absolute best 3chip dlps out there (eg rs2). 2000 for any non-1080p pj is tru insanity, anyway. My company paid under 3k usd for a 1080p 3xlcd almost a two solid years ago!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ David Wiernicki

"with its (...) 35,000:1 contrast".

No way. It's more like 1,000:1.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

I'd like to see some more revies of projectors...

...specifically; how cheap *should* you go.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like