back to article Cryptome founder revokes PGP keys after weird 'compromise'

The creator of digital library and whistle-blowing site Cryptome.org, John Young, has revoked a host of his PGP key pairs after learning they were compromised. In a site statement on Tuesday, Young claimed to have learned "that all PGP public keys of John Young and Cryptome have been compromised." He added "the keys have been …

1. phil dude
    Black Helicopters

a thought about PGP...

Whereas the maths is, so far, non-trivial to crack.

Did they steal some hardware? Or was something connected that shouldn't be?

P.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Appears to be a breach of an isolated secure storage medium"

Somebody plugged a bootable USB drive into their server, nicked the contents and left behind a root kit.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Big Brother

Anticitizen One, hello?

Really, those soundbites remind me of Half-Life 2 citywide announcements

breach of an isolated secure storage medium

What.

For mutual protection, to expire, isolate, expunge.

I predict guys in white gas masks beating the crap out of civvies..

3. Amos1

I'm missing something here. Public keys are, well, public. That's how RSA works. I hope he meant his private keys were what was compromised or he just revoked a bunch of certs for no reason.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Amos1

Well, yeah. Revoking one revokes the other. So it's the public-private key pairs he's pulled.

C.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Word transposed in headline

Should read "Weird Cryptome founder revokes PGP keys after 'compromise'"

1. Joe Harrison

Re: Word transposed in headline

He is a bit weird. A few years ago I emailed him and encrypted to the key on his website at that time. He replied with some rambling story and would I mind resending in plain text. To my mind that is an odd thing to do after you have gone to the bother of generating and displaying your key.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Are you sure it was him that replied?

If someone had intercepted his emails and asked everyone to do this then whoever that was would have lots of plain-text versions of information that he would have thought were secured with his key-pairs.

Seeing some of that information somewhere might actually have led to him believing his keys were compromised?

Who knows, it's all gobble-de-gook to me.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

He is a bit weird.

Yes, rather. Young has an idiosyncratic and often somewhat opaque style of writing (which often manages to be simultaneously verbose and terse, no mean feat), and he's a curmudgeon's curmudgeon.1 But he's been doing real, consistent, substantial work against various police states (most of all the US) for a couple of decades, without the attention-grabbing antics (and possible moral failings) of Assange the the like.

I've had an argument or two with him myself online. But I really think he's on the side of the angels, whatever his quirks and faults. More power to him.

1Apropos of this, I have long suspected ... no, never mind.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He used one of those new storage devices....

... that allows you telnet access with the username and password of root & root.

1. phil 27
      Joke

Re: He used one of those new storage devices....

Enterprise level san then?

Joke, or is it...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

B-movie

Why does this guy write like a villain in a tacky B-Movie?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like