back to article Mercedes mulls driverless limo future

The company that in the 19th century helped put “horseless” in front of “carriage” wants to empty the driver's seat in the 21st. Speaking to Reuters prior to the Frankfurt auto show, Daimler's CEO Dieter Zetsche said on-demand driverless limousines are “a concrete development goal of ours”. If it gets to a point where …

1. AMBxx Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Mercedes - no thanks

Got rid of my A Class - too many rattles. Seems to be a problem for A,B & C at the moment.

That said, at least they'd be able to get rid of that really ugly screen. Plus, you'd no longer have buttons hidden from view by the steering wheel.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Keeping up appearances

I think the ultra rich prefer the visible status symbol that is a chauffer

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Keeping up appearances

I think they prefer the car with a robot arm to load the boot and open the door for them - but actually the driverless limo might well be the ultimate status symbol - for a while

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not convinced this will slash car sales

Overall car miles driven will increase if there's a large move to summon-on-demand, so other things being equal the practical lifespan of cars will decrease. Also people are going to be a lot less forgiving of minor faults that they'd just put with in their own geriatric vehicle, so the fleet of shared cars will have to be quite young, much as hire cars are now. And if shared-use-on-demand really takes off then demand for those ex-fleet vehicles will be low and they're going to effectively become worthless at a much younger age than current vehicles.

Hopefully autonomous cars will crash less often, so that will work in the opposite direction and reduce new vehicle sales.

All in all I don't think it's at all clear that this new ownership model will be bad for car manufacturers. It might well turn out to be another acceleration of the disposable consumer society that's been developed for other consumer durables.

4. muddysteve

Johnny-cabs. They're going to happen one day.

5. jake Silver badge

Driverless cars? Do not want.

I know entirely too much about road-going hardware and market-driven code to think this will ever be a good idea. Far too many things to go wrong. The concept WILL kill people. Honestly, the mind boggles ...

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Driverless cars? Do not want.

@jake - "The concept WILL kill people. Honestly, the mind boggles ..."

Erm - are you saying that meatbag controlled vehicles don't?

I suggest that there will be far fewer fatalities (evidenced by the reduction in minor incidents that the current crop of cars are experiencing) with something that doesn't get tired or angry at the controls of the lethal weapons we seem content to let rule our lives.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I suggest that what's actually likely to happen is that automated driving will become the norm, but for many years regulators will insist that a fully licensed driver is in place at all times to take control (and any legal blame) when things go wrong. Just like in the civil airliner business. And just like in that industry, in practice the fully trained, fully licensed, bored and inattentive, totally out of practice, meatbag will be dropped in it at zero notice and will stuff up the save. And the subsequent crash will be put down to human error.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"The concept WILL kill people"

All it has to do is consistently drive better than humans do. That's not hard.

Our roads are such that it takes some pretty amazingly bad driving to end up in a crash (usually on all parts if there is more than one party involved) - which is why there aren't crashes more frequently.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Is it me or is 'driverless' a bit of a misnomer?

Does the computer not become the driver?

Wouldn't something like auto driven be more correct?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it me or is 'driverless' a bit of a misnomer?

Or just call it an automobile...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lousy job prospects for suicide bombers

Driverless cars and cheapo drones are going to play havoc with the suicide bomber's job prospects. "Take this errr pizza and deliver it to this address, and wait for a tip, while I have another frappacino".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like