back to article This new new chip will self-destruct in less than 10 seconds

Engineers at Xerox PARC have developed a prototype chip capable of self-destructing upon command. The Mission Impossible-style integrated circuit might be used for applications such as the storage of encryption keys. The chip is fabricated on a Gorilla Glass substrate and capable of shattering on demand into thousands of …

1. Alan Denman

Usful...

for when the post 2 year warranty runs out and you dont upgrade.

2. MacroRodent

no residual footprint?

and then be effectively removed from the environment with no residual footprint,

"Ouch", say the barefooted hurricane survivors stepping on the glass shards... Glass splinters are evil as litter, since they never decompose.

1. Muscleguy

Re: no residual footprint?

Have you never wandered along a sandy beach and actually looked down? You can, in the well settled parts of the world usually find small pieces of glass that have been worn smooth by weathering.

Weathering is what you are thinking of. Those shards will weather into sand in next to no time.

1. MacroRodent

Those shards will weather into sand in next to no time.

Beaches are one thing, but in organic soil a glass shard is as sharp as new after 50 years. Saw this firsthand when digging in my backyard. Some previous owners decades ago had dumped trash there.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

in organic soil a glass shard is as sharp as new after 50 years

Strangely, not all glass is exactly the same. The broken glass shards of your anecdote - very likely untempered soda-lime-silica glass, probably from a curved sheet at least a couple of millimeters thick - might not be quite the same as pieces of shattered highly-tempered, very thin sheets of aluminosilicate.

For that matter, around these parts, there's enough sand in the soil and movement of it (thanks to high rainfall) that even common glass shards generally get the sharp edges worn off pretty quickly. Not that that's at all relevant to the glass discussed by the article. Might as well complain about the sharp edges on tin lids.

2. PassiveSmoking

Highly stressed glass tends to fragment into little lumps, like the glass in a windscreen, not shards.

3. bazza Silver badge

DON'T...

...drop it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Well...

that'll be 5 years in the pokey when UK PC plod demands access to your device and you genuinely can't let them

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Don't go giving the likes of MS Ideas

This PC/Laptop/Table will self descruct in 5...4...3...2...1..0 boom

Just because you didn't pay your Office 365 subscription

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't go giving the likes of MS Ideas

Just because you didn't pay your Office 365 subscription

Correction:

Just because in the light of propriatary and confidential information gathering acquired in the licence evaluation process, the operational environment was found to display certain characteristics consistant with typical breach of the terms and conditions.

Naturally, you can appeal and / or litigate at any stage once the 3... 2... 1... 0 has been executed. Have a nice day!

6. Elmer Phud

Hackerz

Ah, to witness the first multi-machine hack going off . . .

7. PassiveSmoking

The chip is fabricated on a Gorilla Glass substrate and capable of shattering on demand

Ask any phone user who dropped the thing on a wood laminate floor.

8. DropBear

...or you could just buy a RunCore SSD. For years now, actually. Those chips look pretty busted to me even without turning into dust....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

...or you could just buy a RunCore SSD

Hmm, don't know. That seems to require power for both destructions - glass could be shattered by mere physical force, which is also its challenge.

9. Alister
    Black Helicopters

I await their implantation into the skull of all agents - ask them the wrong question and BOOM, no brain left...

I've seen it on the telly, it must be true...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You saw it in the telly, you read it in the book (was is Dune, or dozens of others), you WILL see it in real life. After all, it's only a younger brother to a cyanide capsule. Yeah, well, you don't get to decide, but then, you did swear to die for you king/PM and your country, right?

10. Your alien overlord - fear me
    Pint

useful for civilian use? The only thing I can think of is for fun. Imagine it's made into a beer glass, your mate is showing off his 'I can carry more than 4 beer glasses at once' skill. Aim the laser and crack 'n' splash. Ho ho ho.

1. Nigel 11

It's a new use for a very old technology. If you drip molten glass into water you get a frozen drop with a long tail. The drop's body is extremely tough. You can pound on it with a hammer. But break off the (very) fragile tail, and the whole drop disintegrates into tiny fragments. Google "Prince Rupert's Drop".

I was wondering whether there's any reason to make chips for chip-and-PIN cards which disintegrate if anyone tries to extract them from the card?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Oh bum...

I have a talent for stuffing machines. Kind of grew hand-in-hand with fixing them.

This is going to make life very difficult.

12. Tromos
    Joke

Back to the days of EPROMs

Only this time it's Exploding Programmable Read-Only Memory

13. Erewhon

I'm not Googling "Prince Rupert's Drop" from work!!

1. Bluto Nash

Nope, it's legit. Completely SFW. "Prince Rupert's DRIP," however...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's wrong with having a few large pins connected directly to the metal layers

And running as many amps through them as your power supply can output to overheat the chip so badly it actually melts?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: What's wrong with having a few large pins connected directly to the metal layers

Nothing, if that fits your threat model.

Here's an attack branch that's satisfied by the glass chip, but not by your suggestion: attacker disconnects chip from power supply and then grinds top off packaging, as is (or was; dunno what the kids do these days) SOP for reverse-engineering a chip. With the power supply disconnected, it'll be hard for the self-destruct to get the amperage to destroy the chip.

The glass chip could have a small power supply embedded in the packaging - a capacitor, probably - that's sufficient to trigger its self-destruction. The key in the article is "a small current". You might be able to do it with ambient light. Or a chemical reaction using substances layered into the packaging material.

The point is that it's useful to be able to self-destruct using a small energy input, because it's easier for attackers to remove large energy inputs.

15. Mark 85

Disposable sensors?

That's fine that the chip can destruct but what about the rest the kit such as the transmitter or storage or cabling?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like