back to article KREMLIN: Google is ABUSING ITSELF, misusing its mighty market position

The Russian state is to take action against gigantic advertising company Google for abuse of its dominant position across internet services, according to reports. The Wall Street Journal cited sources in the Russian Federal Antimonopoly Service as saying that the agency's probe into a complaint from rival Yandex had found …

1. Sebastian A

Surely the Kremlin would be familiar with rule #1?

Namely: Might makes right.

1. lurker

Re: Surely the Kremlin would be familiar with rule #1?

True, but when even Putin thinks you're a crazed tyrant, it might be time to stop for a bit of introspection.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

I am not at all opposed to a little introspection by Google, but I am not sure Putin sees them as a crazed tyrant. I think he just sees them as a potential source of protection moneyfines.

"That's a nice data centre you have there. It would be a shame if something happened to it"

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Joke

BTW, I thought rule 1 was:

"Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men"

2. Ole Juul

Western sanctions and the view from Russia

Google may only have a third of the search business there, but they still have some real advantages. They're also serious about their expansion and were the first to put servers in Russia in response to the new data sovereignty laws. I can see how Yandex feels threatened despite currently being in the lead. Regardless, current western sanctions may well be a disadvantage to Google right now.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fine

Would paying a fine even be legal under the current sections?

1. Tenacal

Re: Fine

If Google are still happily operating in Russia then I don't think that they're in a position to use sanctions as an excuse for avoiding a fine.

4. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

My Irony Detector...

... has just packed its bags and gone on holiday...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: My Irony Detector...

Got that right, Graham!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like