back to article Apple fanbois cry (bless) as site motionless during iPhone 6S pre-order wrest

Apple suffered website woes overnight – just as its iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus were meant to be available for fanbois to pre-order online. The multinational's site was spewing out unfriendly error messages, instead of the sunny, life-affirming sort of stuff that we've all come to love from Cupertino chief Tim Cook. Friday …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But what are apple saying?

Oh, they don't talk to el Reg.

Never mind the Apple haters can have a field day gloating over the Fanboi's problems in ordering their new fondle slab/dick replacement while the rest of us get on with our lives.

What am I doing here?

Bored at work on a Saturday evening. Drew the short straw for weekend working.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But what are apple saying?

There were no problems with the website ordering (at least I experienced no issues at all ordering a few minutes after the preorder window opened) What the Reg is reporting on is that rather un-Apple-like error message in the hours BEFORE the preorder window began, when they normally take the site down for a few hours. Something was messed up because it would alternate between a nice friendly message that they're making some changes and the site will return and that error message.

My guess is that they were temporarily adding a bunch of servers to help take the load during the preorder crunch. If so the error messages could have been because the normal number of servers couldn't handle all the people visiting the site thinking the preorder window opening at "12:01 AM" meant their local time rather than 12:01 AM PDT, or one of their admins screwed something up in the process of adding that additional capacity.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Yes, nothing to see here apart from the bottom of a journalistic barrel with scrapemarks on it.

2. Nameless Faceless Computer User

Why is "pre-ordering iPhones" still a thing?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

How to run an online store...

This happens every time the change their product lineup and the refurbished store goes offline every 24 hours to refresh the inventory... If Amazon did this their website would never get to be online.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Headmaster

Such Inacceptable Heresy!!

Really El Reg, you are asking for the Cupertinian Inquisition here ...

4. x 7

brainwashed droids

5. messele

I had no problems pre-ordering at 8am and it appears to be fine to me the rest of the day...I mean it's not like I've been banging the refresh key the last 12 hours but...

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/systemstatus/

I guess that means the perverseness of Adblock means El Reg missed a DD and got cut off temporarily?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well

I checked the US equivalent and no outages from Friday till just now , as is the UK one.

Should we believe Apple, or did the articles originator make an error, if so will she fess up?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Well

That's not an outage, it's normal functionality. The store is taken down, inventory updated, and then it's brought back up again.

6. JoshOvki

Apache Setting

MaxClients 20

7. i steal your leccy

If only The Register and Apple would smoke the pipe of peace...

Then maybe we'd have a chance of winning a MacBook or a 6S instead of some ironmongery from Western Digital:)

(haven't spoiled my chances, have i?)

8. Wizardofaus
    Facepalm

I promise I didnt laugh at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfkbxzilVC4

1. VinceH
      Happy

Re: I promise I didnt laugh at this.

I have this nagging feeling that you might possibly have been telling a tiny little fib, there.

2. Shoot Them Later

Re: I promise I didnt laugh at this.

@Wizardofaus - yep, funny-ish. But the big message I take away from that video is that many people actually prefer a smaller form factor phone, and are happy with one that's a little thicker that maybe houses a half decent battery. So when people are presented with what they are told is the new iPhone, their positive comments on its dimensions are pretty relevant I think.

The other stuff - commenting that the display is so much crisper etc. - well, they are being asked to pontificate on a 'new' piece of tech they've been handed in the street. People have a natural tendency to say what they think they are expected to say in those circumstances. I'm all for laughing at people who do dumb things, but they've got to be properly dumb things.

9. Your alien overlord - fear me

Says it's in stores 9.25 - I take it they are using the internationally recognised time format and mean 25 minutes past 9 a.m. No?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

American time format

All part of their grand plan to take over the world.

Shakes head. After all these years I still can't believe that they insist in using AM/PM

and putting the month before the day as in 09-13-2015 rather than 2015-09-13

Just don't get them started on why they don't use the metric system. That is akin to becoming a Communist.

10. DarkLordofSurrey

Why can't apple be honest and just call it the iPhone 6$

Love the video of people being shown the "new iphone" on the street and saying how great it is and how fast when it's actually the first one :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfkbxzilVC4

1. x 7

"just call it the iPhone 6$"

the "iPhone 6$hit" would be more accurate

1. Arctic fox
        Windows

@x 7 Re: "iPhone 6$hit"

No old chap they are not. Neither I or Madam Fox have bought Apple kit the last twenty years but that had nothing to do with it being "shit" as hardware. That kind of reflexive tribalism gives us the bends. We chose quite simply not to buy into their "ecosystem" because it does not suit us. Here at Arctic Fox towers we have a Lumia 1020, a Sony Xperia Z2, a HTC Desire X and a Lumia 640. We are a reasonably eccumenical household and we judge things by our user case. I do not care whether the insults posted involve such epithets as "Crapple", "Sheeple", "Windoz", "Micro$oft" or whatever other types of football-supporter-idiocy certain commentards come up with - we do not use that kind of braindead language here.

1. Handy Plough

Re: @x 7 "iPhone 6$hit"

ORLY? so this wasn't you?

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/2624120

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because about 2 minutes after it launched the collective US consumer base woud throw a colossal class action sueball at Apple wanting to purchase the new iPhone for 6$ 'as mentioned in the ad'.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Taken down on purpose

So they can spin the "our web servers buckled under unprecedented demand for out overpriced status toy".

Microsoft regularly used thus pathetic soin when Xbox lived goes down.

Remember the two week Xbox Live outage?? (The only that curiously seems to have been almost erased from the internet using Microsoft dollars)

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/03/xbox-live-outage-day-13-still-up-and-down-still-preventing-fu/

Well Microsoft spun that it was becuase Xbox was so popular

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Taken down on purpose

No, this was BEFORE the sale started. They always do this in the hours prior to a big product launch, though someone must have screwed up somewhere to leave an error message instead of a friendly "we're making some changes, come back at 12:01 AM PDT".

I noticed the website was a few minutes late coming back online, missing the promised 12:01 by a few minutes. When it did come back I had no problems ordering and the web site was very responsive. Maybe the reason they take it down is because they're temporarily adding a few hundred additional servers to help take the load? Whatever the reason it went much more smoothly than I expected from hearing about website issues with a few previous launches (this was the first time I preordered directly through Apple)

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Windows

Why the hurry though. It's not like the product is gonna disappear or run out on Sunday.

It's like these red "SOLD" stickers put up untidilydiagonally in an artsy way on panels in gardens to give the impression the real estate agent was in a particular hurry (implying sales are awfully brisk) when the market is practically titsup and festering.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Except the market for new iPhones really is "awfully brisk" (one just needs to look at their sales for the quarter following the release of a new model to see that's just not 'artificial scarcity' like the typical clueless Apple hater claims)

The longer you wait the greater the chance the version you want is on backorder. I'm a night owl so I'm up past 2am most nights anyway so placing the order at 2am Saturday morning didn't require staying up later than usual or setting an alarm.

The smoother they make things work with the website when the window opens the faster they'll run out - if they ever got things working well enough to take 10 million orders an hour they would run out of everything in an hour.

2. Paul Bartlett

Worked beautifully for me, order was a breeze, but then again I am in California.

12. Alan Denman
    Go

Waiting time is predictable

It matters not that Apple have sold x million to resellers etc, the actual percentage going out from these sales is by design. If no one is buying fewer will get theirs on release day, simple as that?

13. Paul Bartlett

The Reg

And of course el reg .com never goes down, especially when half the planet is logging onto it to do e-commerce. Have some respect for what they achieve!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sinking el reg

every time i visit this site i feel sorry how low it has gotten over the years. Wittiness has been swapped for juvenile irrationality.

1. x 7

Re: sinking el reg

"Wittiness has been swapped for juvenile irrationality."

I agree, it seems to coincide with the increase in Anonymous Coward postings

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like