back to article MYSTERIES of remote ICE WORLD PLUTO: New pics BAMBOOZLE boffins

Top space brains have confessed that a new batch of Pluto images downloaded from the New Horizons probe have left them stumped. Let's go straight to the snaps to see what it is exactly that has got the boffins so baffled. The pic below has been described as a “synthetic perspective view of Pluto, [that] shows what you would …

1. Roger Varley

Wow!

On July 20th 1969 I was 11 years old, and I still remember watching the grainy black and white images with my grand parents and thinking "Wow!" Some forty-odd years later I'm still looking at images from far off places and still thinking "Wow!", and wondering if I really made the correct career choice.

1. Winkypop Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Wow!

^ This!

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

Why all the complexity? Why so fractal?

To think that there must be many boulders like these in the galactic halo.

1. phil dude
      Joke

Re: Why all the complexity? Why so fractal?

It should be the other way around! Nature loves fractal geometry.

If I saw some Euclidean geometry, that would be proof of Alien life.

If I saw an obelisk, that would be Jovians.

If I saw a soup dragon, well....

P.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why all the complexity? Why so fractal?

But if you saw some alien geometry with impossible angles and dark corners that could not have been designed by a human eye, loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours ... you are in R'lyeh!

3. AbnormalChunks

Is it just me or is that last close-up actually the Isle of Wight?....

1. Roger Kynaston

IoW

It could be but if so St Catherines point has got a sudden outgrowth into the English Channel. Would make the Round Island Race more interesting.

2. Elmer Phud

IoW?

Could be the Isle of Wight, but there's only room for one timewarp in our solar system

3. Jedit Silver badge
      Pint

"Is it just me or is that last close-up actually the Isle of Wight?...."

Can't be - it looks far too interesting.

1. Roger Kynaston

Re: "Is it just me or is that last close-up actually the Isle of Wight?...."

Time Warp

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "Is it just me or is that last close-up actually the Isle of Wight?...."

Migoo invasion test site?

4. nematoad

Re. IoW?

Could be, if the Island was italicised.

Luckily the real thing is a bit warmer as well, though it doesn't feel like at times.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Coat

Re: Re. IoW?

"Could be, if the Island was italicised."

Isle of Wight

4. Mark 85

Who would have thought 30-40-50 years ago (or back to the dawn of humanity) that one day we'd see this? My mind is boggled by all the developments from Hubble to lunar landings to Mars and rendezvousing with a comet and more. But Pluto, just seemed to be something that we'd never see. I'm wondering what else will be sent back and wait in awe.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

The only thing that can compete in the 'constant suprise' box is that of the short-sightedness of those in whom we entrust the running of the planet we live on.

Some of the shit these people think of to screw us over just one more time never ceases to amaze and horrify in equal measure.

2. bob, mon!

re: Who would have thought 30-40-50 years ago ...

30-40-50 years ago we dared to dream that we'd be there in person by now. Wahhhhhh.....

5. 0laf

Well we were hoping Pluto would be weird and it is.

That plane looks like ice but not quite. the Left of it looks like a sort of flow, but not quite.

If anything it looks more like cream on coffee than anything else.

1. Tom 7

It looks to me like an impact crater - there are the characteristic sprays of debris in three different directions but its weird as it looks like whatever hit was moving relatively slowly - and possibly by a train of connected objects - the first (few?) melting a lake of nitrogen and the later one(s) sploshing it out of the crater as mostly waves not spray - possibly taking large nitrogenbergs and depositing them as mountains?

1. Just Enough

This is why experts interpret these images.

Some of them even have doctorates and stuff.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Impact hyposthesis

I'm tentatively inclined to agree with you re impact hypothesis for the area shown in the pics.

The first thing that struck me was that it looks like those are convection patterns on the frozen plains, accompanied by a large melt flow towards the bottom right of the pic.

The aligned ridges, better seen in the second pic, look more like folds than dunes, and there also appear to be several mucking great faults/cracks in the cratered region below the fold region.

The light shaded region to the top right of the frozen plain might be ejecta but, on a body as small as Pluto, a lot of any ejecta would likely have a velocity => Pluto's escape velocity, and that which didn't might orbit the body a few times before coming back down just about anywhere, not just near the impact site.

But then who knows?

There's less cratering on Charon than I would have expected, and more uneven too.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Pint

Re: Impact hyposthesis

It totally looks like the close-up of a cast bronze pipe fitting with additional pelting by a few sand grains.

Probably the same mathematical description somewhere in there, with a scale factor....

6. NobbyNobbs

wonderous

Give it a hundred years or so and we will be seeing pictures like this from other solar systems. Sadly I won't be around to see them.

1. ravenviz Silver badge
      Angel

Re: wonderous

Well you never know!

Coat

Re: wonderous

Ahasuerus, please!

7. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pint

Absolutely wonderful stuff

It is always exciting when new scientific data throw up more questions than answers

8. Alister

There seem to have been a number of "baffled Boffins" stories recently with regard to images from space. Could it be that our perceptions of how things should be are being challenged by all this new data, or is it that we have a lower grade of Boffin these days?

1. dotdavid

Boffins like being baffled; it means previously-considered-accurate theories are proven to be wrong and we are getting closer to understanding our universe.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch
        Coat

Boffins like being baffled

Not if they're giving an important speech in a crowded auditorium. Sometimes good acoustics is as important as the message.

Paris Hilton

Re: Boffins like being baffled

Well, El Reg changed the "baffle" to "bamboozle", which does not sound correct. At all.

Is it a SEO thing?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Franken-plantoid

Looks like a few big clumps got pushed together, making areas with traits of the former clump.

Nitrogen oceans with drifting H^2O islands (calling them glaciers or ice seems to suggest that they would melt one day) from a former comet, dark pitted rock from near the sun and regular sandy brown stuff that got caught loitering in the vaccinity.

10. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Dear {deity}

Can you grant me another 50 years please?

There is so much really interesting stuff coming up.

1. Turtle

Re: Dear {deity}

"There is so much really interesting stuff coming up."

When wasn't there, though?

1. cray74

Re: Dear {deity}

> "There is so much really interesting stuff coming up."

"When wasn't there, though?"

Well, in many centuries the "interesting stuff" usually verified the curse, "May you live in interesting times." It was interesting if you would die giving birth to your first or fifth child, interesting which disease would kill you by age 35, interesting which religion would bring war to your land, interesting whether the weather or pests would destroy your crops and bring famine, and so on.

The 18th and 19th Centuries were interesting in a different, better way because mankind started overcoming those millennia-old problems with things like innoculations and the electric light bulb, but I prefer "interesting" in the form of "I get to see the first flyby of Pluto (and Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune)." That's because the latter is also accompanied by humanity finally moving beyond subsistence farming, hunting, and gathering. Today, I have access to most of the knowledge of humanity in my hand, and four days ago I took a quick trip of 1500 miles sitting beside carriage-sized engines with more mechanical horsepower than some ancient kingdoms - and I did that for a couple days' wages.

I'll take that last kind of interesting stuff over the interesting stuff that filled most of humanity's history.

2. Michael Dunn

Re: Dear {deity} @Will Godfrey

Sadly, Will, it's a little late for me! As Sound of Music would have it: I am 81 going on 82.....

Re: Dear {deity} @Will Godfrey

In understand. You will miss the Jihad Show, then....

11. Matthew 17

Given that the surface partially melts and refreezes

every time it laps the Sun, it was always going to be a right ol' hotch potch of a terrain but it's all a bit nuts!

12. DubyaG

Wrong Name

The Sputnik Planum is misnamed. If it is next to the Cthulu region, it should be the Plateau of Leng another cold nasty place in the Lovecraft universe.

13. Turtle

One Caveat To Keep In Mind

That Pluto - a planet that is, galactically speaking, a very close neighbor - holds surprises should not be all that surprising. But it really should make one wonder about the the accuracy of the claims made for exoplanets located many light years away. Less is actually known, and the uncertainties are greater, than some people seem to realize.

1. Chris G

Re: One Caveat To Keep In Mind

@Turtle, I'm inclined to agree with you, I find some of the broad sweeping assumptions made on the sketchiest of information fairly annoying. Perhaps it's just the way it's reported but to blather on about an 'Earth like' planet in the Goldilocks zone, that is light years away is too much like wishful thinking, especially when everything is based on reading a microscopic amount of gravitational and/or spectroscopic data.

The Pluto pics remind me of candle wax that has been poured onto water in the flat areas and some of the craters have a similar appearance to the impact a bullet can make in lead. Idon't whatthat says about the consistencyof those parts of Pluto at such low temperatures.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: One Caveat To Keep In Mind

@ChrisG - An oblique squishing impact event seems to be the consensus. I think the factor that is there in the discussion but fully explored might be the effect of impact heating , low gravity and rapid cooling in a slow motion dance of variously slushy stuff (our customary gaseous materials) and hard stuff (water ice?) some of which might have cracked off original surface and been variously flung up, sunk and propelled before settling down back in the deep freeze. The relative densities and phase transitions of these materials during such a temperature adventure as each bit experiences a different 'profile' over different routes would make a fascinating study for someone with a lifetime to squander! Then they could move on to considering how all that stuff will sublimate and travel across the landscape over time while the water ice does its usual tricks of crawling around with a mind of its own!

14. Fungus Bob

What would really baffle the boffins...

...would be if they found a WW II bomber on Pluto.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-cRPR4AC_89c/TXJxh1qEXfI/AAAAAAAACTM/fyo0-IZOXg0/s1600/Weekly+World+News+-+Google+Books.png

Windows

Re: What would really baffle the boffins...

There is one on every ball-shaped object found in the Orion arm .... HOW MANY DID BOEING PRODUCE? DID THEY OUTSOURCE PRODUCTION TO RETICULEANS? WHAT ABOUT THE IP? WOULD AMERICA BE RICH BY NOW? THE COPYRIGHT LOBBY DEMANDS TO KNOW!!

On another tack, I grew up with the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" in my not-fully-processed-memes register and later (when I could fit together the disparate elements of written stories in my mind), with the book "2001: A Space Odyssey". The book really makes you appreciate the distances involved.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cool

I wonder what the skiing is like!

Re: Cool

Read Haldeman's "The Forever War" for more!

2. harmjschoonhoven
      Thumb Up

Re: I wonder what the skiing is like!

Great skiing resort. Gravity a little more than 1/20, atmospheric pressure roughly 10-6 to 10-5 that on Earth with occasional strong winds. But bring your own radioisotopic bodywarmer.

Hmmm.....

“Now, you didn’t get much in-suit training Earthside. We didn’t want you to get used to using the thing in a friendly environment. The fighting suit is the deadliest personal weapon ever built, and with no weapon is it easier for the user to kill himself through carelessness. Turn around, Sergeant.

“Case in point.” He tapped a large square protuberance between the shoulders. “Exhaust fins. As you know, the suit tries to keep you at a comfortable temperature no matter what the weather’s like outside. The material of the suit is as near to a perfect insulator as we could get, consistent with mechanical demands. Therefore, these fins get hot — especially hot, compared to darkside temperatures — as they bleed off the body’s heat.

“All you have to do is lean up against a boulder of frozen gas; there’s lots of it around. The gas will sublime off faster than it can escape from the fins; in escaping, it will push against the surrounding ‘ice’, and fracture it … and in about one-hundredth of a second, you have the equivalent of a hand grenade going off right below your neck. You’ll never feel a thing.

“Variations on this theme have killed eleven people in the past two months. And they were just building a bunch of huts.

Come to think of it, the suit doesn't need to be an insulator except for the boots, but you have to get rid off the body heat indeed. Best would be to scoop up some ice and make it gas out, taking the heat with it, right?

1. cray74

"Come to think of it, the suit doesn't need to be an insulator except for the boots, but you have to get rid off the body heat indeed. Best would be to scoop up some ice and make it gas out, taking the heat with it, right?"

As an aside, I'm not sure how realistic Haldeman's exploding ice threat was, since it seems like you got more energy out than radiators running at 100-200 Watts could deliver. However, it'd probably still be worth insulating the entire suit just so you can sit down with evaporating your way to the core (which I saw with exaggeration.) Insulating entire space suits is standard practice to simplify the engineering challenge of temperature control, and would have the advantage of allowing you to bump around on Pluto without evaporating the "rock" samples you touch.

Regarding the question of how to cool it, modern suits favor sublimation. They carry a block of water ice that is warmed and sublimated by a separate water loop circulated in the astronaut's long johns. This system was satisfactory for up to 8-ish hours on the lunar surface and seems to work fine on ISS space walks, except when it springs a leak and tries to drown the astronaut.

The abundance of water ice on Pluto would make refills easy. Local nitrogen ice/snow would be less ideal because nitrogen's heat capacity and heat of sublimation are small compared to water, but it would probably be usable. And I think nitrogen ice is pretty soft stuff compared to (negative OMFG) Celsius water ice.

16. xeroks

The Earth still exists

... therefore this must be the universe the Vogons crashed into Pluto.

Guess the crash site could be visible, it was a biggish fleet.

Re: The Earth still exists

The only thing that ever crashed into Pluto was a Slaver spaceship with a defect hyperdrive shunt.

17. Gartal

nor do we know how Pluto ended up in the shape we've found it in

It was like that when I got here

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: nor do we know how Pluto ended up in the shape we've found it in

"Right. That's it. You are coming with us to the central black hole. If you don't stop complaining we will put 'resisting arrest' on your rap sheet, too!"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like