back to article C5 tablet-using newsreader hotness

Well, it's been something of a week: and one of the main tech news events, like it or lump it, has been the appearance of the Apple MaxiPad - aka the Apple Surface Pro, or even in some circles iPad Pro Air Beats. Naturally the forecast appearance of the strokable whopper led us here at the Register to speculate on the target …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. i steal your leccy

Obvious really, its...

Tom Tucker...or maybe Trisha Takanawa.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Obvious really, its...

Or a midget in a bikini*

*South Park > The Simpsons > Family Guy. #Fact

1. Crazy Operations Guy

El Reg really needs an age verification system...

2. GitMeMyShootinIrons

"Or a midget in a bikini*"

Surely, after the Snow White dwarf discrimination debacle, this should be "friend in gender-neutral swimwear"?

2. msknight

Obviously, as I'm unable to vote in this, I expect a similar pole for women, on the male newsreaders in due course!

1. Richard Wharram

Pole?

*chortle*

1. msknight

Re: Pole?

@Richard Wharram

I'm dyslexic. So sew me.

Seriously ... I am dyslexic. Just don't ask me how I can always spell dyslexia first time ... nor how I'm also a published fiction author.

1. noj

Re: Pole?

Hey! I'm dyslexic too. Never held me back from much so when I was diagnosed with dyslexia it wasn't a big deal. My mother on the other hand got pretty involved in raising awareness about it and became an outspoken member of DAM - Mothers Against Dyslexia.

2. That Lewis Page (Written by Reg staff)

The issue you raise was anticipated

The poll has more than one question, you need to vote for a male newsreader selection in Q2.

1. msknight

Re: The issue you raise was anticipated

@ThatLewisPage ... OK ... so what if I can't get past question 1 !!! And are there going to be people who, by definition, can't get past question 2 ;-)

1. That Lewis Page (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: The issue you raise was anticipated

If you find yourself unable to answer any given question we suggest getting a friend or colleague to answer it for you. Our AI neural net algorithms will be able to handle the differing data sources without difficulty.

1. Anonymous Custard
            Joke

Re: The issue you raise was anticipated

So if we take part in the poll, are we going to end up in a double-page spread in the Daily Fail next week like that pair (ooer) from Linkedin seem to have done repeatedly?

Enquiring minds probably want to know, although personally I don't give a toss. That said I would like to know how the poll actually managed to get past work's p(r)oxy server, which routinely used to eat all of Lester's LOHAN polls (or at least the Javascript behind them).

2. Sir Sham Cad

Re: can't get past question 1

msknight, if you are having trouble answering question 1 then I can offer you assistance in selecting the "correct" answer.

Vote for Natasha.

Then vote for the male newsreaders poll. Although Bill Turnbull will win that one, obviously.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sir Tim Hunt still hasn't got his job back, you know.

I hope the Feminazis get on The Register's case.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Sir Tim Hunt still hasn't got his job back, you know.

They're too busy supporting whinging ageist human rights lawyers.

4. SW10

Correctitudinal quadrantification

I think to qualify in the top-right bell-quadrant of neuro-grammatical correctitude in the field of satiristic info-tech journalism, then the aptitude of the usage 'less' demonstrated by the post-Friday lunch journo should be rapidly assimilated into a conversion-substitution algorithm in order to produce 'fewer', thusly:

no fewer than 96 respondents

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MaxiPad?

Sounds like something they advertise on daytime TV, so that women can still enjoy most* athletic sports at any time of the month.

*one is obviously ruled out.

1. Thecowking

Re: MaxiPad?

Tennis?

1. Anonymous Custard
        Joke

Re: MaxiPad?

Makes the price a bit more reasonable, if it includes lessons on how to rollerblade, sky dive and all the other things the various adverts over the years have said using such products enable you to do...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The key reason it MUST be called Maxipad..

Of course it must be called MaxiPad, because I know already what the next "S" variant will have.

It'll have wings.

Have a nice weekend :)

7. Chris Miller
    Paris Hilton

Click for engorgement

I've clicked, but I'm not engorged. Am I holding it wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Click for engorgement

Am I holding it wrong?

Too tightly, perhaps?

2. James O'Shea

Re: Click for engorgement

You're looking at Paris Hilton. That'll kill excitement in most men.

8. Mark 85

At least there's honesty

At least you, in the UK, have the job title of "news reader" for them. Which is what they do. Over here in the States, they call themselves "journalists" or "reporters" which is holdover from the old print days. The early news "jouirnalists" were all former print people so it applied. Now, they're just talking heads but like to think they're more than that.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: At least there's honesty

We have "news readers" and "reporters". The news reader will stand or sit in the studio and tell you that for example there are loads of fanbois queued in Regent Street waiting to buy the new Jesus Phone. Then they will go to a reporter who is standing in Regent St with the said queue of fanbois behind him and he will tell us that there is a queue of fanbois behind him. He might interview a couple of the fanbois and ask them why they are in the queue.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I demand a strawberry Cornetto vs raspberry Magnum questionnaire shoot-out! And can I have some of what SW10 is on, please?

10. damworker

I appreciate that this is probably horrendously politically incorrect but ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11852887/Lawyer-accused-of-sexism-after-complimenting-barrister-on-stunning-LinkedIn-picture.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I appreciate that this is probably horrendously politically incorrect but ...

He is sexist and not a very good lawyer.*

I mean, you work in the legal profession and you don't see that one coming and make a remark that could be misconstrued *even* if it was meant in a non-sexist way.

*[By my definition it is *not* possible for you to make those sort of statements in a non-sexist way because the 'meaning' is controlled by the recipient *not* the giver.

This is similar to racist remarks that are 'Just a joke' you don't control the meaning the recipient does.]

1. BobRocket

Re: I appreciate that this is probably horrendously politically incorrect but ...

Isn't LinkedIn some kind of dating website for professionals ?

He sounds like some kind of pompous dinosaur and she sounds like an attention seeking bunny boiler, a perfect match then (I haven't seen pictures of either of them).

RT has a bevy of beauties as newsreaders and one anchorman., Suchet is his name, I think his dad used to be Miss Marple (or Columbus)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That was just stupid on both sides.

On his side, for prefacing his statement which made it plausible he knew he was on thin ice. Not a smart move if you're talking to a lawyer, certainly if you're a lawyer yourself. Also, for not using a private channel, because that would have changed the response - making things public always throws in a lot of dynamics that can quickly totally spin out of control as it puts her in a position she'd have to respond publicly too. Well, QED.

On her side, for choosing the baseball-in-face method instead of a more intelligent and possibly humourous remark which made it clear his statement was (a) open to various interpretations and (b) she was not impressed. Instead, she chooses an approach which is certain to create a train crash of politically correctness where nobody learns what would have been better, both sides end up entrenched and all sorts of external wildlife will put their opinion of the day in and try to ride it for all its worth. If I were to look for a lawyer to solve a dispute, she would certainly not be my first choice (also because I already have a lawyer - who happens to be female, btw - who is an ace at negotiation).

Taking into account his age, I think this a bit too "outragists", I think he meant a compliment (as above, it would have been better in private). I fully support women having a comeback for men being utter jerks because they jolly well deserve it, but going full nuclear on something that is potentially meant well is *way* OTT. I'm sure the guy is sitting in his office wondering what the hell he did wrong to have something blow up so much.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Edit: according to an article in The Telegraph, he DID use a private channel (the email associated with a network hookup at LinkedIn), and her response was initially private.

If that is true, I certainly disagree with the public shaming and the extend to which she has driven it. God help the male who ever buys her a coffee - he'd immediately be publicly shamed for being a caveman who thinks women can be bought...

Oh, and we have a lawyer here who publishes a private conversation. Oops.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh good grief! That woman needs to get a life IMO! Being a feminist doesn't mean stopping being a human being, and saying nice things to each other is simply one of the pleasant parts of normal human interaction.

Acting like an arse in a situation like that is what gives feminism a bad name. Me, I'd've given a much gentler response. If you make the good men worry about ever opening their mouths in your direction for fear of a nuking, then you'll just make them grumpy and resentful - and then they'll be more liable to start talking to you like the less well-intentioned ones do.

Politeness seldom hurts. Going nuclear over small things makes everyone, male and female think you're an arse.

11. PhilipN Silver badge

It's outrageous

I am appalled at this horribly anti-feminist use of puerile schoolboy prurience, gender-targeted innuendo and pre-occupation with the female form.

Keep up the good work!

12. Yugguy

appreciate that this is probably horrendously politically incorrect but

I would.

This topic is closed for new posts.