back to article AT&T fingers BT's brass neck, wishes it could throttle it

US telco giant AT&T has slammed BT's efforts to get the US Federal Communications Commission regulator to give it access to AT&T's networks – describing the move as "staggering hypocrisy". The company was responding to the president of BT's US operation, Bas Burger, who complained that the firm has been hampered in its efforts …

1. Richard Jones 1
    WTF?

Evidence?

Where is the evidence for the AT&T's mouth, given the blizzard of comment about AT&T and the other major player's price gouging and service quality 'wots that'?

I have 15 or 20 ISPs to chose from with too many different tariffs to bother counting - and I have fields growing crops within sight of my home so not in some city centre. Some tariffs start as low as around US$ 10 per month or is that the high price that AT&T complained about?

1. Gavin Park Weir

Re: Evidence?

I have fields outside the window, sub 2mb and only one provider to choose from. What's your point.

2. J. R. Hartley

ntl:

I miss those halcyon days :(

3. Alistair

Okay -- lets see if I can find

The ATT rant about getting into Canadian ISP status - and the commentary they dropped on the way out the door ....

4. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Monopoly

Not sure what rules you're using, but you can not put a Hotel on Community Chest.

1. billse10

Re: Monopoly

"Not sure what rules you're using, but you can not put a Hotel on Community Chest."

Ah - is that still the case if the Community in question is Palo Alto?

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Community in question is Palo Alto? Re: Monopoly

Thank you for the link. Nice to see a majority of Reg Readers do have their heart in the right place on that issue at least.

5. Spaceman Spiff

Let's see - pot (at&t) vs. kettle (bt). Which is blacker do you think?

6. Jonathon Desmond

I tried to read this article.....

... but I couldn't' get past the president of BT's US operation being named "Bas Burger"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I tried to read this article.....

The Chief Patent Council at Kudelski is sincerely called "Chuck Fish", look him up on LinkedIn if you like.

AC because I shouldn't draw attention to myself when he is a lawyer....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"AT&T's senior regulation veep Bob Quinn claimed adopting a regulatory regime similar to that of the UK would mean significantly less broadband investment, higher prices and bad customer service".

Interesting coming from AT&T. The U.S. already has the highest broadband prices in the industrialized world, the slowest speeds, and the crappiest services, ensured by buying off a selected group of congressmen.

1. Bob H

Graphic from the BBC to prove the point:

http://bit.ly/1Qsw2xq

8. cantankerous swineherd

is the blessed JC going to renationalise BT? at least the nation would get the benefit of the mega profits.

9. Matthew 3

Customer service...

"...a regulatory regime similar to that of the UK would mean significantly less broadband investment, higher prices and bad customer service."

Because American telecom companies are famed for their high quality customer service...?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AT&T talking nonsense, nothing new there

"...a regulatory regime similar to that of the UK would mean significantly less broadband investment, higher prices and bad customer service."

Except when regulation stepped in, UK speeds went up and prices went down as BT had to compete with cable.

I moved from the UK to California and where I live I have the option of Comcast or... Comcast.

AT&T's claim is proven wrong in their own territory. Google's rollout of fibre sees Comcast and AT&T competing in the areas for speed and price where Google has gone but no where else. Not a coincidence.

1. leexgx

Re: AT&T talking nonsense, nothing new there

all i seen is prices going up as line rental is now over £16 (not that i am on BT line, virgin media witch is USA version of comcast, AT&t is like BT, and Verizon is most like Vodafone )

11. earl grey
    Flame

significantly less broadband investment

how much is less than zero?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like