back to article If at first you don't succeed, you're probably Google: Android Pay arrives

Google has finally rolled out its new mobile payment system for phones running Android in the US. Called Android Pay, the system largely copies Apple's Apple Pay system for iPhones by using the credit card companies' preferred method of "tokenization," which means a single-use token rather than your actual credit card …

1. David Roberts

Storing loyalty cards would be good. I have a separate wallet just for them.

1. nedge2k

Use the Stocard app - very handy but if ur phone has a crap screen they may require manual entry...oo'er

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Goodbye Applepay

How long will a payment system that only works on 12% of phones, where Apple skim it's percentage last? I suspect about 10 minutes after Google launch it's payment system app for iOS (like most Google apps eventually end up on iOS too).

Even if the later doesn't happen, a payment system that only works with 12% of the devices on the market, and the one that works with 88% of the market... I think the future is already written.

1. Nate Amsden

Re: Goodbye Applepay

how many android phones have NFC? Not many I think.

This gives me no reason to turn NFC on my phone, rather use my credit card(s), which work fine.

1. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Huh? All the high-end ones, without exception. Samsung Notes, Galaxys, LG G4s, Sony Xperias...

So you think wrong.

Meanwhile, cash also works fine. But sometimes alternatives have value, too.

1. Nate Amsden

yeah sure the high end phones do, but those are small market share compared to the rest. The original commenter seemed to imply by their comment that all android devices have NFC or will have it in the near future.

2. Mike Bell

Did you read the bit about "taking its spoils in the stream of purchasing data it will then gain access to"?

Fuck that. Apple never find out what I bought, and have no access to my purchasing data. One more nail (in a heavily nailed) coffin for Android, as far as I'm concerned.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Seems like you fell for the apple aren't interested in your private data spin. They sell your data just like Microsoft, Google, yahoo, Facebook and linked in all do..

There is no such thing as data privacy. Didn't the icloud data hack teach you anything??

I actually trust Google way more than apple. Google are very clear how my data is used . apples privacy policies are ambiguous in many ways.

I suspect you haven't read either, and your opinion is crafted from reading online blogs.

1. Mike Bell

Evidence please, anonymous twit.

Go on, give me a laugh. To help you along, show me one single piece of evidence that shows Apple is technically able to associate an Apple Pay transaction with a particular product.

3. Leedos

I smell another lawsuit

So Google copied the methods, look and feel and nearly the name of Apple Pay. I don't think this will go over too well with the folks in Cupertino...

1. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Re: I smell another lawsuit

Alternatively, you could argue that Apple copied Google Wallet...

Google Wallet: September 2011

Apple Pay: September 2014

Perhaps, @Leedos@, you are unaware that Apple's history of innovation is a history of *MARKET* innovation, not technical innovation?

1. Mike Bell

Apple was the first to do it the right way, with EMV tokenisation.

2. dajames

So Google copied the methods, look and feel and nearly the name of Apple Pay. I don't think this will go over too well with the folks in Cupertino...

Or, just maybe, the banks told Google what system they would be prepared to support, and first Apple and now Google have listened.

As it says in the article:

...using the credit card companies' preferred method ...

The new approach has led to immediate adoption by the big four credit card companies...

It's the banks and credit card companies calling the shots here, not Apple or Google.

4. Hold my beer and watch this

Is this usable in the UK?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Not yet. This is US-only.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thankfully.

Not yet. This is US-only.

Thank God. You'll still be safe for a while. Whereas Apple actually has dedicated hardware support for its crypto, Google is entirely reliant on software to make this work. Given the massive amount of problems with Android vulnerabilities and the frankly patchy (sorry) approach to updates where vendors act as barriers I wouldn't want to trust Google Pay. PS: ditto for any attempts Microsoft may make - I suspect this is the real reason why they're trying to get friendly with Apple right now.

Not to mention the fact that Google will use its knowledge of your purchase to further profile you.

It's interesting how people can be led to sleepwalk into Total Surveillance Society without any resistance. It's impressive, really.

5. Hold my beer and watch this

Availability in the UK?

Title says it all. Will it be available for use in the UK?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Availability in the UK?

Not yet. This is US-only (for now).

C.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>If at first you don't succeed ... Google

I hope they won't foist yet another crappy FB clone on us.

7. ChrisInAStrangeLand

In Google's defense, everyone in the industry was deliberately obstructing them in an entirely misguided and ludditic attempt to prevent the evil Google empire from establishing a standard for mobile payments. And now that Tim Cook's fruit company is that standard everyone is panicking and rushing back to Google for help.

Rinse and repeat with local banks in every market that first Google, then ISIS, then Apple, and then Google will enter.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In Google's defense, everyone in the industry was deliberately obstructing them in an entirely misguided and ludditic attempt to prevent the evil Google empire from establishing a standard for mobile payments.

I think it was more to prevent Google from establishing a standard which gave it open and unfettered access to every purchase you ever made. I don't trust Google with my email, so why should I even think about trusting them with my money?

Google's business is intelligence. Once you keep that in mind it's easy to see what they do, what their aims are and where you can stop them from mounting even more subversive surveillance.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They need to fix the Android patching problem first

Sorry - this is going to be a mess if there's a Stagefright problem and they can't patch...

1. Drefsab_UK

Re: They need to fix the Android patching problem first

To be fair its not really googles problem but the your phone manufacturers that the issue. Google fixed these bugs published the fixes and already pushed out the updates to anyone running a nexus (the only phone they control the OTA updates for).

The source code is there for each and every phone vendor to use, have they pulled the code and pushed out updates for you? No, they would rather you buy a new device (which they hope will line their pockets). This is exactly what I did I ditched HTC on my latest device and got a nexus.

Its true though google need to try to do more to force vendors to push out updates, but its a trade off of allowing other vendors to use your OS for a device instead of not letting anyone use it like apple do.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like