back to article Promise of ‘higher profits’ sees US targeted by Android PIN-locking ransomware

Android PIN-locking ransomware, which – unbeknown to the user – changes a device's login code, is targeting mobile phone users in North America, leaving victims with a locked screen and a demand for $500. However, since the PIN is reset randomly even complying with these extortionate demands won’t do any good, as not even the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They could probably make more money if they lowered the ransom. Who's going to pay $500?

1. badger31

Someone who really REALLY wishes they backed up whatever data is worth >$500 to them.

Targets:

1: Keeps valuable data on phone

2: ... not backed up

3: Installs software from dodgy stores

Talk about limiting your market.

1. Captain DaFt

-Targets:

1: Keeps valuable data on phone

2: ... not backed up

3: Installs software from dodgy stores

Talk about limiting your market.-

I dunno, clueless American middle-management sounds like a lucrative market to me.

2. niksgarage

Surely people have their phones backed up?

My phone - and wifey's phone - stores all data in the Cloud, including messages, mails, contacts and the huge collection of photos of grandchildren, bits of whiteboard from work and all that. Applications are easily downloaded from the appropriate store again. Recently, when there was a firmware upgrade, I decided to test the remote wipe and reset to factory settings just for grins. It took less than an hour for the phone to be restored to its former glory. How much is an hour of my time worth?

3. Spanners Silver badge
    Holmes

There is not much data on my phone.

My stuff is in the cloud(s).

My email and contacts are in Gmail, or whatever other ones I use.

Photos are synced away pretty instantly. It stops some idiot telling me that I "can't take pictures here" and forcing me to delete them.

Documents I edit are generally on Box, Google Docs or whatever.

Things like Evernote, Onenote and so on deal with notes.

What do I use all the space for? Music, podcasts, audiobooks, ebooks and so on.

An unwanted factory reset would be irritating but not disastrous. I would just have to re-download them again.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Alert

Re: There is not much data on my phone.

Photos are synced away pretty instantly.

NB: This is only a good idea if you are not famous and/or do not take nude selfies.

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Mushroom

Amateurs.

You get infected, it’s a factory reset, sorry

We've already seen scroteware that sticks itself in the system partition so it survives a factory reset. Easy to do if you have privilege, which this one seems to require for installation to work anyway. This is second-rate crud from pathetic also-rans.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Owncloud linux server auto sync plus offline nas backup = never lose anything.

Though installing apps these days is not something I take lightly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Been running OwnCloud for just about 8 months now and I have to say, very happy. Uses very little resources and is providing file, contacts & calendar sync to most of my family hassle free for the entire time.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Good for you.

And for 99.9999999% of the rest of the world, Google synch is probably a better option.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"And for 99.9999999% of the rest of the world, Google synch is probably a better option."

Good for the rest of the world. I don't see anyone suggesting the rest of the world go away and setup OwnCloud, both of us have simply stated that OwnCloud is a good choice *if* you want control of where your devices are synching to.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Precisely

This is precisely why all hackers and purveyors of malware should be executed. They will never hack or distribute malware ever again - guaranteed!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Precisely

a drone strike?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like