back to article NASA reveals secret 1970s SPACE PANTS

NASA has released its graphics manual from 1976. The manual (PDF) explains how the agency's logo, typeface and other visual identifiers are to be used. NASA's administrator of the time, Richard H, Truly, writes in his introduction that the manual is no mere document for style wonks but ““a new tool to enhance and symbolize …

1. Steve Knox
    Headmaster

Punctuation?

"Richard H, Truly,"

Richard H, Truly?

Richard H. Truly!

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Thumb Up

Techno trousers!

Ex NASA.

They're real. The right trousers, after all.

3. deadlockvictim

Hairstyles

Wot? No hair styles specified?

I expected to see detailed specifications of afros and shoulder-length hair [1] as well as permitted perms for the female staff.

Helvetica — the font of the 1970s. It is unusual to see it specified in inches rather than in points.

[1] 'Who can try to understand | the New York Times' effect on man | whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother | you're stayin' alive ah-ah-ah stayin' alive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

'70s? There's a giveaway in there......

Look at the proportions of the overalls. Obviously designed to be worn with a pair of massive platform shoes.

5. Graeme Sutherland
    Boffin

Laboratory Coat

I can't believe that a picture of the lab coat wasn't posted. It's surely the most important boffin-related item in the whole document.

1. Simon Harris
      Coat

Re: Laboratory Coat

Presumably defining the order of the coloured pens in the top pocket and size and shape of the obligatory ink stain.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No ink stain, obligatory NASA issue pocket protector also provided.

2. Omgwtfbbqtime

The order of the coloured pens is detailed in a separate manual - denoting the grade of the wearer.

2. davemcwish
      Boffin

@Graeme Sutherland - downvoted for not RTFM.

It *is* there. Page 60 d) Laboratory coat

A 7" wide (17.8 em) logotype may be embroidered in NASA Red centered on the back of a white lab coat (fig. d) .

6. ravenviz Silver badge
    Holmes

Branding

The problems we have in our company with people not following company style guide serves a very inconsistent message to our customers; if we can't get our branding right, what else can't we co-ordinate in our products and services that customers cannot easily see?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Branding

Ah, but who cares. Product quality control is very important. But it's also seen as such. And is quite easy to control, as you've got a few departments in a few design offices and factories to manage.

Ensuring that the logo is at an angle of exactly 19° on the other hand... Well let's just say it's much harder to persuade the whole company staff to give much of a damn. In my corporate days I requested a copy of the logo to put on a new invoice, that was going out to our suppliers so we could claim volume rebates. I was rather surprised to receive a 19 page document explaining how to use the 3 or 4 different logos I could choose from, depending on background colour. And reminding me in the strongest possible terms that the logo must be displayed at the all important 19° angle!

7. Spanners Silver badge
    Meh

@ravenviz

If I dealt with a company that had an excessive interest on inconsequential items, I would wonder what was being skimped on to see that the appearance was "just right".

I'm sure we have all seen the company that has the highly glossed pseudo-secretary on the reception desk. She has bright varnish on nails so long that she can barely type. Although she is wearing something that looks like the company uniform, hers has been specially tailored to fir her BMI15 form and her hairdo probably cost over £100. Some of them are chewing gum as they file those long nails.

Companies with that sort of gatekeeper are trying to make a statement rather than a product.

8. Martin Summers Silver badge

And there was me thinking you meant undercrackers. These aren't the space pants I was looking for!

9. werdsmith Silver badge

You may choose all kinds of NASA branded garments in the Kennedy Space Centre Visitor Centre shop.

You can get NASA T-Shirts and Baseball Hats in the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Center store.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Helvetica Medium Font....

...there's a blast from the past, no doubt applied using Letraset transfers.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(2000s) Company I worked for ...

Core product was named after a girl, and was used in the financial services industry ....

Started with a logo, which was a stylised image of a young lady sitting down, knees up, in the product theme colours.

Company hits problems, so (obviously) spunks £50,000 on a massive rebranding exercise. The *only* outcome of which was the new logo had the woman standing. Company no longer exists, by the way.

I would be amazed if there isn't one El Regger who knows exactly where this was. Maybe everyone left clutching heavily expanded train times ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Honestly, I've no idea which company you mention

El Reg is read by a slightly wider demographic than just your home town/country, and it stands to reason most readers would be completely unaware of what you are talking about -- especially since if it was in the noughties, 5-15 years have passed since, and in some of those cases, it's before widespread Internet access in even the most developed countries.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Honestly, I've no idea which company you mention

I had one of these manuals produced by BR. It was in the library of the design college where I worked. Frightening stuff, but oddly lovely as well.

12. MyffyW Silver badge

Does the document specify the correct proportions of Nylon, Polyester and Viscose necessary in said clothing to induce an electrostatic shock every time you touch something that's earthed?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like