back to article EU-US data sharing deal for cops edges closer as usual suspects moan

After four years of talks, the EU and the US have finally reached a “gentleman’s agreement” on data sharing for law enforcement. The so-called Umbrella Agreement should allow the exchange of personal data between the EU and the US “for the purpose of prevention, detection, investigation and prosecution of criminal offences” so …

1. Wommit

No!

I cannot understand how any thinking person could believe an American organisation or law enforcement officer will be forced by an American court to respond to a foreign demand for this type of enforcement. (But we are talking about unelected EU officials here, so they may not actually belong to the 'persons' subset that the rest of us do.)

This type of reciprocity has never happened in the past, America has never accepted that external treaties and agreements actually have any legal basis in their judicial system. They, of course, hold full sovereignty over the entire globe.

If the negotiators believe that this agreement is fair and equitable, then they are deluded fools.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No!

Do you mean like when Blighty refused to extradite Mr. Gary ASSberger Syndrome hacker?

If you can't figure it out, all allies will be exchanging relevant personal data for national security purposes, as they should. The only ones who need be concerned are the crims, many of whom chose Blighty as their place of residence because Blighty fails to enforce the laws against hacking, piracy (up until recently), and other digital crimes. It's time for people to get a grip on the bold new world that is far less safe than the old, past world.

2. JohnMurray

Re: No!

Well-rewarded deluded fools....or just the usual corrupt bastards...after all, many previously worked (or still do, covertly) for the major financial institutions.

I doubt if the info transfer will be two-way......

2. cantankerous swineherd

"It will in particular guarantee that all EU citizens have the right to enforce their data protection rights in US courts."

from the confines of their cell in a federal supermax dungeon.

3. Rol

So does M$ have to hand over its Irish emails now or later?

Exactly which piece of American legislation will seize the day?

The Patriot Act that forces all US businesses to hand over anything and everything when asked, no matter where it is in the world, totally ignoring any protocols that have or will exist between nations.

Or

The back patting, here have it all, we're all in this together, pact.

I don't trust my own government to do the right thing, I don't trust the EU to do the right thing, but if there is one thing I do trust is that America will do the wrong thing, for the wrong reason and wrong us all to hell.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welcome!!!

Welcome to the new fifty third state!!!!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So how does this work when police in country A ask police in country B for data on someone who is accused (*) of something which is a criminal offence in A but not in B ?

(*) or does this arrangement cover "persons of interest", so no formal charge (or evidence) needed ?

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

“I fear it will be pushed through and not meet with much resistance.”

That is the problem.

Individual rights are in the same conundrum as IoT security. Everybody agrees they are essential, but as long as all the actors don't step up to bat when it's their turn, nothing will happen.

To ensure our right to freedom and privacy, we need to push ALL of our representatives, wherever and whoever they are, to do what is right.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like