back to article Still can't get a woop, woop! Twitter battered on matter of politi-natter scatter button

Digital rights groups are putting pressure on Twitter to restore API access to gaffe-watcher websites Politwoops and Diplotwoops. The so-called digital accountability tool tracks elected politicians from 30 countries and makes their deleted tweets visible. Last month, Twitter informed the Open State Foundation (OSF), which …

1. Dan Paul

Idiotic Politicians and Celebs should NOT be able to delete Tweets!

If you say something as a politician or celebrity on TV today, the video is going to haunt you forever. Why should Tweets be any different?

These people pose themselves as being "better" than the everyday Twatteratti. They should be subject to a far higher level of public scrutiny. In fact, I would go so far as to say that none of them deserve the "right to be forgotten" by Alphabet/Google either. I want everything they have ever done or said to be recorded for posterity so the next time they come up with some lame proposal or statement, someone can see what they did and comment on it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Idiotic Politicians and Celebs should NOT be able to delete Tweets!

Of course Twitter is going to give special rights to the ones who may have some form of power over them now or in the future.

2. druck Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Dan Paul wrote:

These people pose themselves as being "better" than the everyday Twatteratti.

What a bitter and blinkered view. People don't go in to politics to pose as being better, they do it to try to change things for the better, instead of the far easier option of sitting back and just bleating about it.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Facepalm

Yeah.......right.

I'm sorry to be the one who has to tell you this, but Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny are actually fictional.

2. W Donelson

Luke, I am your faaaather....

... nope. Maybe not.

3. frank ly

Another way?

If those sites track and monitor certain people, let's call them 'special people', then why can't they record every tweet and make them available for viewing? Maybe highlight any 'special' tweets from those special people, the sort of tweets that might get deleted in future.

1. PleebSmash
  4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the case of those in politics, I see it as no different to their insistence on being able to track and recall details of our communications.

You want our comms data we - should be able to hold you to account for your use of twatter. After all, we are not able to obliterate any embarrassing traffic we may have generated that the state is scutinising. maybe this will focus those overpaid feather bedded twunts that leech off of us when running off at the mouth about stuff that often they are barely familiar with or qualified to actually have an opinion about.

Yep my opinion of our politicians couldn't be much lower.

AC- not that I really can be these days....

5. David Roberts

Commentards?

Is there an equivalent API to recover comments deleted by the mods or poster?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like