back to article It's still 2015, and your Windows PC can still be pwned by a webpage

Microsoft has today released patches for 56 security vulnerabilities in its products. People should apply the updates as soon as possible because miscreants are actively exploiting at least two of the holes – and likely more by the time you read this. The September patch batch includes critical fixes for Internet Explorer and …

1. Innocent-Bystander*

Sigh

Everything is awesome...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sigh

just had two colleagues family Windows PCs hit (unfortunately, successfully) by Crypto Locker style virus very recently. That implies very deep penetration, in terms of numbers, of criminal malware

do you seriously want ALL your important files to be 2048 bit ransom-ware hashed to

family.photos.jpg.ABC

myThesis.doc.ABC

businessPlan.xls.ABC. . . perhaps the private key can be bought back for $500/$1K?

PATCH, but remember to ensure keep everything 'valuable' updated on an unmounted remote drive too.

I think my separate h/w sandbox idea to only read S/MIME email on an £30-RPi2, with WWW access defeated; and only browse WWW on a Mint/Mac - without mail - is better than patching winstuff, but that's just my opinion!

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

"PATCH, but remember to ensure keep everything 'valuable' updated on an unmounted remote drive too."

In my experience Cryptolocker is delivered via email attachments, usually as a fake CV.exe or similar, and the only good remedy is either to educate people or lock the PC down. The latter option requires supervision if the users want this and that program installed and who's gonna provide it? And as even well educated people have fallen to Nigerian scam, well...

If the Cryptolocker was available to Macs and Linux systems (is it?) the stupid users would happily click away each warning and type their SU passwords when asked for.

Patching and backuping as you say is of course sound recommendation. Most (home) users just don't know how or otherwise just couldn't care less...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Hmm, we think one of the Crypto Locker attacks came from a fake microsoft "to view this video you need to update your version of Silverlight" pop-up, which was accepted by the user*, and a few minutes later they were presented with two text files, a list of the user files that had been ransomed and the TOR addresses to send the bitcoin payment to.

(*)The 'stupid' user, in this case the wife of a radio-ham and experienced computer user, accepted without question the "microsoft" update pop-up. Luckily, their home is a heterogeneous computing environment and many family documents on the networked Macintosh were unaffected by this version of the ransomware. (although versions can even encrypt Windows mounted drives - even in the Cloud!) Of course, there exist many zero-day exploits and backdoors even on the *nix OS's, but I haven't seen this urgent level of ransomware yet in the wild on these other OS's.

the S/MIME separated email handled by a Raspberry Pi2, was tested as an experiment and functioned very well, even using end-to-end encryption over gmail, would easily handle your suggestion that most attacks are by mail.

Why in 2015 should a (home) user who doesn't know how - risk losing all their digital heritage, online rights and perhaps £15K from a bank a/c , resulting from a single false click on a plausible phish attack email? I can assure you that they do care!

remove email from the desktop - bring back the Amstrad email phone - just DIY with an Rpi

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"remove email from the desktop"

Thanks for the reminder why I shouldn't let my 10 year old have access to email!

Yes, there really is no reason to let non-geeks open any email locally any more.

Banish the local email client to geek-land, as long as it's that open to abuse.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Cryptolocker defence

Disk space is so cheap it amazes me that there isn't a popular OS or FS with built-in version-control that only be purged by the administrator. It would not only prevent friends and family coming to me with cryptolocker problems, but also with accidental deletions (usually done by overwriting).

3. Ian 55

If they're that stupid, what are they doing in sudoers anyway?

Talking of stupid, who thought it was a good idea to let webpages start downloads of opentype fonts just to increase the chance of viewers looking at the page in the 'right' Helvetica variant?

4. TheVogon

"If the Cryptolocker was available to Macs and Linux systems (is it?) "

Yep - a lot of Synology NAS systems got hit a while back.

"the stupid users would happily click away each warning and type their SU passwords when asked for."

No password was required. Not even any user interaction was required, unlike the vast majority of Windows exploits.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Yawn

Have you also patched your BIOS, hard discs' firmware and everything else? No? Go and do that now first and then come back and worry about OS patches.

Start at the bottom and outside and work up and in. That applies to all your gear. Actually, just be systematic and cover the lot: APs, routers, switches, PCs, NASs, VMware clusters, err iSCSI SANs and all the other usual home gear.

At work you'll already be doing this anyway ...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Yawn

What. Getting an attack via Internet Explorer is quite more likely than the NSA breaking into you home and infecting your BIOS via special USB.

Start at the bottom and outside and work up and in.

Please describe how you determine these directions.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Start at the bottom and outside and work up and in.

Please describe how you determine these directions.

F'narr! F'narr!

2. heyrick Silver badge

Isn't the point of UEFI to make it extremely hard for the end user to do something like patching it?

1. h4rm0ny

>>"Isn't the point of UEFI to make it extremely hard for the end user to do something like patching it?"

Really? I've found sticking a firmware file on any old USB drive and reading it off from inside the UEFI interface easier than the hassles I used to have updating BIOS. I also like the way it lets me back itself up and easily revert if there's a problem.

What part of updating it precisely are you having trouble with?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Really? I've found sticking a firmware file on any old USB drive and reading it off from inside the UEFI interface easier than the hassles I used to have updating BIOS."

My old non-UEFI BIOS used to do both of these things. I'd have been surprised if UEFI didn't. BIOS updates have been safe for almost a decade - my BIOSs on 2 separate LGA775 motherboards (purchased ~2007) took a copy of the BIOS before writing the new one, and after a failed boot would restore it automatically.

It did the same with settings, if you changed something that borked it (overclocking), a secondary BIOS would realise it can't boot and revert the settings back to the last successful boot, no more whipping the case off and messing with jumpers.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Isn't the point of UEFI to make it extremely hard for the end user to do something like patching it?

No, its only real point is to make it harder to stick anything but Microsoft Windows on a PC. I am not aware of more than cursory examination of any other UEFI functionality. It was not hard to guess either: every time Microsoft starts to bang the "security" drum, it is a sure bet they're trying to hide something else they're doing, and the end user is unlikely to be the beneficiary of that something else.

3. GitMeMyShootinIrons

"Start at the bottom and outside and work up and in."

Now that's a wonderful phrase in so many ways!!!!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

you really think so?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought Edge was supposed to contain some fancy security features?

Sounds just like IE 6 to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I thought Edge was supposed to contain some fancy security features?

Nothing was EVER like IE 6.

1. seven of five
        Joke

> Nothing was EVER like IE 6.

Actually not even IE6

2. TheVogon

"I thought Edge was supposed to contain some fancy security features? "

Not really - It's based on Internet Explorer minus all the legacy cruft.

4. gollux

2015 is nearly over, complexity has increased and patches are still needed.

Is your IoT up to date as well?

In other news, reported that change is constant and accelerating... <= physical law paradox noted.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And don't miss...

the awesome return of 3080149 - you know, the data sucking update you've declined how many months in a row now?? F.U. MS

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And don't miss...

Thanks. I don't know how I missed that one. I thought I went through the entire list of updates....oh, I know. When you click on the 'support' link, it un-highlights the patch itself.

6. Chairo
    Unhappy

It's still 2015, and your Windows PC can still be pwned by a webpage

I think we have seen this title in 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, ...

And there is no end in sight.

A bit depressing...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

56 security vulnerabilities

But, don't band-aids usually come in boxes of 50?

[joke icon]

1. seven of five

Re: 56 security vulnerabilities

Special offer? 12% free! ?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 56 security vulnerabilities

May be, but baby wipes come in 56

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm trying to decide if I should be appalled that there's a remote code execution bug in parsing font files, or if I should be amazed that someone managed to find such a bug. Though a bunch of this months patches seem to be in equally obscure places.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"if I should be amazed that someone managed to find such a bug"

That's the power of fuzzers. The tools are getting really good. Probably worth a story, TBH.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's the power of fuzzers. The tools are getting really good. Probably worth a story, TBH.

I think that's already been taken care of - the Apple story involves a bottle of vodka. Or isn't that the sort of fuzzer you're thinking of?

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

Fonts are programs these days

Not sure if they're Turing-complete, but not far off.

I wonder if anyone has done a denial-of-service via fonts yet. The parser can't solve the halting problem, so I wonder how it guards against a font taking too long?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Fonts are programs these days

If you look at the August OSX updates, there were fixes for fonts bugs there as well - fonts and their managment are complex tasks these days...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Fonts are programs these days

Maybe we should all convert to Alphabet's new font.

9. Mikel

Bah

I am coming to the conclusion that if you choose Windows at this point then this is what you chose. You earned it, you are entitled to it, you deserve it and are welcome to it.

Clearly they don't care.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: this is what you choose.

Regular security patches?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: this is what you choose.

They do seem to care, but 1.3 GB of caring is a bit excessive (approximately) each month.

2. Captain Scarlet
      Paris Hilton

Re: Bah

So most distro's for Linux don't care either because they release patches????

My only issue is the majority of cheap laptops struggle with this amount of updates (Stupid supplied 5400rpm drives that can't be replaced without taking the whole thing apart and voiding the warranty)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I well understand that wait from Hell. "Is it done yet?" The 500 GB 5400 RPM HD just failed in my (way) out of warranty laptop. Replaced it with a very fast indeed SSD (was going into JBOD 12 TB array) and Windows 8.1U1 is not quite as maddening and the dual-core i3 is zipping along at far higher utilisation than before. A lot of rejigging the tiles and it's now a not very bright Winstep Xtreme in affect (sp intentional).

If I'd bothered to look, I could have replaced it long ago. Asus didn't have any factory seals anywhere. And wonder of wonders, I like it. This was my last ditch, meteor took out Fresno machine. Amazing in some ways what we're willing to toerate in our lappies. Seriously thinking about Winstep on it now as well as the 7 ult machine.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They do care, and they do care about the right things, but they're quite incompetent, so it doesn't really matter.

1. Captain Scarlet
        Facepalm

O_O Do I really need to use [Sarcasm] tags?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

One wonders how many of these also include telemetery functions as MS seem to have a penchant for that at the moment.

Long gone are the days of blindly trusting MS to act in MY best interests.

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Hmm

"Long gone are the days of blindly trusting MS..."

Just after DOS 6 then?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

DOS3.1

2. chr0m4t1c

>Just after DOS 6 then?

Not if you're old enough to remember DOS 4.

11. Michael Habel

Anyone have a clue about...

KBKB3083324? MicroSoft seem to be quite mum about what exactly this thing does.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Anyone have a clue about...

nothing new there. move along quietly and join the borg.

Actually if got google for KB3083324 you will see that it is the latest attempt to get Telemetry working and sending god knows what back to Borg Central. Oh, and it also targets Server 2012 systems so you server Admins out there have better be on your toes with your WSUS setup.

Perhaps we need someone to do something like what that letter that Taylor Swift wrote to Apple in order to get some action from MS?

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Also KB3068708 appears yet again in my list of patches.

"Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry"

Applies to Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

no more patch tuesday my arse!

1. paulc

I've got a patch for that KB3068708 issue, it's called wipe the MS carp and put Debian 8 on instead...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes because Debian + Libre Office + Firefox never need security patches.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Facepalm

That wasn't his point.

2. Michael Habel

Yes but I still have trust in that the updates too Libre/Open Office, Debian, and perhaps to a lesser degree Firefox, aren't out to sell my soul to the lowest bidder. With MicroSoft this is very much escalating to that point. I could care less about how they plan to address such updates from Windows 10 on. But, if continual use of Windows 7 is to become a game of chicken, or whack (the spyware), mole, with no end in sight. Then MicroSoft will have succeeded in removing me from Windows 7, and by that proxy 99.999℅ of the rest of their warez as well.

I really hope MicroSoft doesn't let it come to that....

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I've got a patch for that KB3068708 issue, it's called wipe the MS carp and put Debian 8 on instead..."

Pretty fishy strategy, if you ask me.

3. mr.K

As has been the norm on updates recently I have to read the support information on all patches and figure out if they are a tool to spy on me, bug me or cripple my system. So, nah, I unchecked that one.

4. Don Dumb

KB3083324 - it is stated as an update to the Windows Update Client. It doesn't say what the update improves about Win Update but considering WinUpdate has been taking ages lately, I'm comfortable installing it.

12. MassiveBob
    Unhappy

It's 2015...

...and I still haven't seen any time-travelling DeLoreans flying around our skies.

1. hplasm
      Facepalm

Re: It's 2015...

"...and I still haven't seen any time-travelling DeLoreans flying around our skies."

Doc Brown did insist on trying Win 10 to control the flux-capacitor. He was wrong about the Libyans, and he was wrong about that.

1. TheVogon

Re: It's 2015...

"Doc Brown did insist on trying Win 10 to control the flux-capacitor."

I hear that even Apple use Windows to control the Mac production lines...

13. regadpellagru
    Joke

facepalm

" ... one in Windows' handling of OpenType fonts, four in Windows' Journal file handling ..."

Journal handling, fonts, ain't Windows great ?

Can't say I'm surprised by the edge thingie, though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: facepalm

Windows Journal is a somewhat obscure "OneNote Lite" application using obscure file formats. It's provided with some versions of Windows. It's got nothing to do with journaling of file systems or databases.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It might as well be 3015

Microsucks will still be unable to deliver a secure O/S by 3015 no matter how much they over charge for their defective products.

15. Rol

Win 7 is awesome

Installed MS Windows 7 some time ago and all the problems I had with it were fixed once I disabled the security suite. It runs flawlessly without any anti-virus, firewalls or for that matter updates and patches.

Though I must confess, I have never ever allowed it to connect to anything, be it a USB stick, a network or the internet.

56 patches and another million easy instalments before it becomes fit for any other purpose than playing off-line, single player games.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Personally, I congratulate Microsoft

So many complete re-writes of windows and they manage to re-create all the bugs from the old versions, that take real effort.

17. Colin Tree

backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup,

Only one other comment mentioned backing up, thank you sandtitz.

Stuff I haven't backed up doesn't matter or I can recreate.

The best treatment for malware

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4k

1. Michael Habel

Re: backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup,

The best treatment for malware

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4k

Sounds a bit like deleting /system32 to me... Which I gather does much the same thing to cure Malware on Windows.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like