back to article Voluminous Versailles vagina viciously violated – again

The controversial voluminous vagina adorning the gardens of the Palace of Versailles has been vandalised for the second time. dirty_corner_shutterstock_648 Dirty Corner. Pic: Frederic Legrand – COMEO / Shutterstock.com The work by Anish Kapoor – entitled "Dirty Corner" but popularly known as the "Queen's Vagina" – was …

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Headmaster

"everything will be done to identify the authors" ?

Is this a translation fail ... did someone see autuer, and not grasp the subtleties of nuanced meaning.

"Culprits" would have been more appropriate. "Perpetrators" even better.

"Authors" bestows a degree of respectability on the criminals.

e2a: I did briefly look to see if I could find an original report, to see what Mr. Hollande actually said. But then I really couldn't be bothered.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: "everything will be done to identify the authors" ?

Hollande didn't really say very much

"Le président François Hollande «dénonce fermement» la dégradation de l’oeuvre qui a été «couverte d’inscriptions haineuses et antisémites», a indiqué l’Elysée dans un communiqué."

It was Fleur Pellerin ( Minister of Culture) that was present...

Here is the article from liberation.fr, the comments from the usual ministers amount to not much more than the typical diatribe using any all of the following words "shock, horror, injustice, antisemitism, scandal", none of it appears to be even remotely sincere..

"http://www.liberation.fr/societe/2015/09/06/la-grande-sculpture-d-anish-kapoor-presentee-a-versailles-a-nouveau-vandalisee_1376793"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

It's not graffiti

but an expression of one's inner self and as such, I hereby declare it a modern piece of artwork by an elusive unknown artist and therefore is worth £20 million.

3. Khaptain Silver badge
    Coat

Holy Vandalised Vaginas batman, it looks like we will have to penetrate deep into the depths of this labiarinth and try to find the magic button that will unleash this caverns secret source of energy.

4. Yugguy

WTF

So, wtf is it actually meant to be? Cos it just looks like a large rusty trumpet to me. I'm not sure I'll be rushing to view it in reality.

1. Eponymous Cowherd
      Joke

Re: WTF

You've met Mrs Cowherd, then?

2. alain williams Silver badge

Re: WTF

Whoever vandalised it was probably just being a dick.

5. Elmer Phud

No fun in Fundamentalists (but plenty of mental)

Also painted on it “Christ is king in Versailles”.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

poser art

The poser artists who fob off such charlatanish works on public arts programs deserve all the derision they get. Defacing a public beauty like those gardens with such sophomoric fake "art" is the real crime here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: poser art

That's my problem with so much 'art'. It's paid for by the taxpayer and so the 'artist' can get away with any old shit because the public sector will spend it and doesn't really care and the artist knows they can fob off their d-grade ideas and if the people hate it, well, that's just the proles and they never appreciate 'art'.

Back to the good old days, please, where the super rich are the patrons and not the general public. We'd soon see a whittling out of 25ft tall buttplugs and dirty beds.

1. Yugguy

Agreed,

I have one simple criterion for what I will accept as art. It needs to be something I would not have the skill or wit to produce.

99% of modern art fails this.

1. Sprismoid

Either that or you are a pretty good artist - like I am :)

2. skeptical i
        Devil

re: "so much 'art [is] paid for by the taxpayer and so the 'artist' can get away with any old shit" -- sounds like a sweet gig to me, how do I get in on this action? I have some "yard art" that I am quite confident is a most appropriate metaphor to enliven and humanize any upcoming future public works project, enquiries welcome ....

7. Efros

I know what I like

and that ain't anything like something I like very much.

8. x 7

the shit-stain colour of the "art" piece is an effective comment on its true value and meaning

9. Whiskers

Mysterons

I think it's a loudspeaker for the Mysterons.

10. tony72

Gigantic gallic gash gains grim graffiti

Gigantic gallic gash gains grim graffiti - my entry in the El Reg alternative headlines competition.

So there was that giant inflatable butt plug deployed in France a while back, and now this supersized snatch thing; are we seeing some sort of pattern here?

1. Rich 11

Re: Gigantic gallic gash gains grim graffiti

are we seeing some sort of pattern here?

Mais oui, absolutement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th6ts_O7Jno

2. PleebSmash
      Coat

Re: Gigantic gallic gash gains grim graffiti

vag-ain

11. Dr Scrum Master
    Facepalm

Better Picture?

Couldn't the picture editor have found a better picture? The big lump of rusty metal and pile of rocks are getting in the way of the art work.

12. Mike Henderson
    Holmes

foreign terrorism?

Would a French graffiti vandal spray "Le 2nd VIOL..."?

Surely a French-speaker would paint "Le 2me VIOL ...", on the grounds that the French word for "second" is "deuxieme".

So, an English-language-native vandal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon