back to article Is 'MetaPod': a) a Pokemon; b) servers running OpenStack?

We only break out Logowatch for special occasions, and this one surely counts: Cisco has decided that its OpenStack Private Cloud is a tad dull, uses too many words and, worst of all, gave rise to jokes. As of now, The Borg wants users to kindly remember that the correct name for Cisco OpenStack Private Cloud is "Cisco MetaPod …

1. Chemist

"that “sounds like a respiratory disease”."

or

"that “sounds like a respiratory disease with the last letter wrong ”. or "that “sounds like a respiratory cisease”. Oh good grief !

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Made me wonder if there are other disease-alikes in the Cisco product portfolio and you've gotta catch 'em all......

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    FAIL

Metapod

And they changed the name to avoid the jokes ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Did someone just say "japanophile"?

@ Pascal Monett; To be fair, the only people who'll get these jokes in the first place are twenty-something Pokemon obsessives and the aforementioned japanophiles.

And we all know that if Cisco waste any more time on "weeaboos", they'll be bankrupt by the end of the month! ;-)

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

The only thing I know about Pokemon is that you had to catch them all. I didn't catch any, nor did I even look around for some.

With this renaming, I think Cisco may just have given enough impetus to create a whole new crowd of MetaPodians exchanging entirely new, non-Pokemon related jokes. And maybe some network-related horror stories as well.

Time will tell.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@ Pascal Monett; That's pretty much the boat I'm in- I was already in my twenties by the time it came out (i.e. at least twice the age of the target audience) and knew the vague concept, but that was about it. If Cisco had called their thing the Pikachu or (possibly) Squirtle, even I might have got the reference and thought it silly, but "Metapod"? Nope.

That said, I've since come across enough on the web to know that Pokemon is something some people are really obsessive about and seems to have held its popularity better than other toy fads of the 80s and 90s. (I mean, who cares about Tamagotchi nowadays except as a childhood memory for twentysomething millennials?)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Pokemon was a fun little RPG. Play Crystal Edition on an emulator or something.

As for Metapod, if you evolved from a Caterpie you would at least have Tackle, so it's not the most useless Pokemon. That distinction goes to Magikarp, which can only Splash (doing nothing) until it evolves into Gyarados.

3. Thecowking

On the upside

When it evolves, it'll be Butterfree, so open sourced?

Though the sleep powder might be a problem...

My name's thecowking and I am a recovering Pokémon player.

4. Alan J. Wylie

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Congestion^WDisease

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx

5. vmistery

Am I too old to get the joke? I have never heard of a "MetaPod" before. Meta data sure... although to be fair anyone over 30 is probably too old for Pokemon?!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sounds about right- I seem to remember the Pokemon fad started circa the late 90s. Given that it was aimed at kids (let's say under 13 at most), most of the earliest fans are still likely to be under 30.

Though I suspect most under 30s in the general population probably still wouldn't get the reference, I'm also guessing that the proportion of Pokemon fans in the computer industry is probably higher than average. :-/

2. brotherelf
      Trollface

Metapods...

Aren't those what you have to fill out for CPAN? If so, you might be too young rather than too old.

6. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Joke

Metapod versus Metapod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57wiO6QcO4c

"Thrilling - You won't miss one second of your life lost".

7. ohnoblueboxed
    Facepalm

But wait, there's more!

___Blue_Box___

n. What a woman gets after becoming sexually excited, but not satisfied. The female equivalent to blue balls.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like