back to article MAMMOTH MAMMOTH fossil find with BONUS BISON BONE BONANZA

Great news for fossil followers this week, as it has emerged that a positive bone bonanza - including mammoth and bison remains - has been discovered at a development site outside San Diego. The Ice Age fossils, understood to date back from 50,000 to 200,000 years ago, were discovered at the Quarry Creek housing development …

1. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Trump accuses them of being illegal immigrants...

Probably were headed north.

Need for wall thus proven.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Alternative (read "wishful thinking") headline

Trump gobsmacked with fossilised mammoth bone.

2. cd

T Ronald Dump is already a fossilised mammoth bonehead.

1. Mark 85

"bonehead"...??? Wrong end, I think. He's a wannabee politician... or maybe he is now considered one. So... southern end of a north bound horse might even be more appropriate.

3. Captain DaFt

"The find included the aforementioned bison and mammoth bones, along with horse and turtle fossils."

And several empty Sirachi sauce and beer bottles, I presume?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm surprised that California hasn't classified the site as a state park or otherwise protected area and halted development.

1. Grikath

Whut?!! And get in the way of Money?!! The thought..

2. Mark 85
      Devil

Hang on.. something like that is coming... maybe a park dedicated to the results of Climate Change.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Digging in the Dirt

> "I'm surprised that California hasn't classified the site as a state park or otherwise protected area and halted development."

The link article explains that there are quite a few finds like this around the region. I gather that the area is loosely consolidated terrestrial sediments from <1M years ago, which may contain various large fauna fossils.

The fossils would be kinda rare, and their deposition site, probably in some ancient flood-prone river that no longer exists, will only be discovered when the spatial location of the small fossil deposition site coincides with the current erosion surface at that spot, or just below it. There may be many more sites, but the majority would still be deep underground or already eroded away.

So when any surface grading strikes fossils in such terrain, the state lets the experts in to assess the plunder down under. They'll probably find a few fossils and then no more there. Then the developers come back.

It's really a way for the state to harness the earthmoving clout of development in service to archaeology. Heaven knows those Uni bone departments don't have the funding to rent 5000 back-hoes...

1. JCitizen
        Big Brother

Re: Digging in the Dirt

'' The fossils would be kinda rare, and their deposition site, probably in some ancient flood-prone river that no longer exists"

Maybe in that particular strata that is true - but in the Great American Desert, the mammoth bones are as common as dirt - I've dug up a few of the giant tusks and leg bones myself.(along with camel and rhinoceros bones) Just thought I'd put that in the pot for consideration here. Thanks for posting!

5. Mage Silver badge
    Facepalm

I miss read this

I thought it was about Carlsberg.

If Carlsberg was in the fossil business ...

1. IvyKing
      Pint

Re: I miss read this

W-e-l-l, Carlsbad has a couple of brewery/restaurants, Pizza Port and Karl Strauss. Stone Brewing Company (Arrogant Bastard Ale) is a short drive down 78 from the construction site where the fossils were found. Oceanside, which is right across 78 from Carlsbad, has a least one brewer of mead.

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

50,000 to 200,000

Or 6,000 in god-years (+/- a great flood or plague of frogs)

1. Tom 7

Re: 50,000 to 200,000

I would imagine a slaughtered mammoth would be a river of blood shirley.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 50,000 to 200,000

haha, thanks for correcting that ;)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just "Congrats!" on the article title.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon