back to article Spotify updates hated privacy policy ... with exact same policy

Music-streaming service Spotify has finished editing its controversial privacy policy – to better explain why it's slurping people's private information, rather than taking an axe to the document. Writing on the Spotify blog, CEO Daniel Ek said the new policy will kick in over the next few days: it will use some new wordings …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spotify

The name has always sounded like a synonym for anal leakage.

And now the CEO has made it official - it is anal leakage of your data to them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The amazon video app asks for a huge range of permissions as well. Windows 10 gathers a big honeypot of info, it seems like everyone is at it at the moment.

3. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

If the privacy policy doesn't say it it doesn't apply

"Yes, we still need to provide greater detail in the body of the policy, but those details are, and will always be, in keeping with the fundamental privacy principles we outline in the Introduction."

Thing is, if Spotify explain "this data is needed for functionality x and y, and this data is needed for z", well, that's nice. But if the privacy policy itself doesn't restrict use of the data to x, y, and z, then once Spotify gets their hands on the data they can use it for whatever purpose they want.

4. PhilipJ

yeah all I need is voice control, never mind the fact that I can't organize my music collection by genres

5. x 7

so what does my daughters photo collection have to do with streaming music? Are they thinking of relaying her intimate closeups normally reserved for boy friends, too all and sundry?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OK, Spotify users,

show the world how stupid you can be to swallow this! Your music player browsing your collection of personal photos, erm, what for ?

1. maffski

Re: OK, Spotify users,

From the spotify blog, regarding access to photos...

'Those photos would only be used in ways you choose and control – to create personalized cover art for a playlist or to change your profile image, for example.'

Not everything in life is about shafting someone else. They could have worded the privacy policy more explicitly, but then they would need you to read and accept a new policy every time a new service was added.

As it happens I'm not interested in any of this social guff. Most people have crap taste and I'm probably one of them. But that doesn't mean my default assumption should be that they're going to try and do something 'evil' with it (what exactly?)

If that makes me stupid then fine, I'm stupid. But how exactly did you manage to get access on any device in order to post that message? I can't think of any phone/tablet/'puter/iot fridge that doesn't make you go through an EULA before using it. And there's no way you can have signed up to that and then be bothered about Spotify.

1. Vic

Re: OK, Spotify users,

I can't think of any phone/tablet/'puter/iot fridge that doesn't make you go through an EULA before using it

I'm using one right now. It's not tricky if it matters to you...

And there's no way you can have signed up to that and then be bothered about Spotify

Well, I'm not bothered about Spotify[1]. But I am bothered about trojan horses on the machines of friends and customers...

None of these EULAs is released without having gone past the corprat lawyers. If they say something ambiguous, then it's because the lawyer has decided that ambiguity is the more profitable course of action. It's not hard to be specific.

Vic.

[1] Being of somewhat conservative musical taste, I probably already have all the music I'll ever want. Preiodically, I sample new bands, but very rarely do I find anything that interests me. I am an old git.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@maffski - Re: OK, Spotify users,

First, my Linux PC did not require me to read any EULA.

Second, I truly appreciate El Reg's courtesy for allowing us to create a profile in order to sign in. As an example, Computerworld is asking me to sign in using my social account (please El Reg don't ever do this to us!) so I simply stay away from posting any comment.

7. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Coat

My Spotify playlist is now short and sweet...

Already gone...

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"to better explain why it's slurping people's private information"

It's ok, Daniel, no need to explain any more. I'll never be using your "service" anyway.

9. jason 7

I don't care what they ask me for...

...as long as I have an option to say no to any of them.

And no, uninstall isn't the option I was meaning.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the style of a certain scottish soothsayer about a deadly rabbit.

I warned you, but did you listen to me? Oh, no, you knew it all, didn't you?

They already have this in place, a bit like the government passing laws to enable snooping after they already do it. Sad but true.

11. chivo243 Silver badge

Spot-tif-fy Oh Crap

I just remembered I signed up once to troubleshoot a user's issue. I don't even remember the user id I created. Whew! And don't get me started about iTunes... still looking for a replacement for that one.

12. John Tserkezis

While I was making fun of spotify (and its users continually saying how great it was, all the while making fun of my large flash storage "mp3 player" for being so 'old fashioned'...).

Well, my other foot is laughing now, isn't it?

13. Lewis Burgess
    Go

Deezer.

That is all.

14. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Deleting Apps lately...

When I update my Android apps, there's usually one or two that suddenly want to get into my unrelated info. Autotrader was one example. Lately several more wanted to slurp all my data. After a few cycles of leaving them not updated, it's just easier to uninstall them. Bye bye.

I may have to buy another $60 Android tablet, keep it free of data, and let them slurp away on an empty tablet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Deleting Apps lately...

There is an alternative, root your device and install an app call "App Ops" it lets you turn the each permission off for whatever app you want.

Also there's an app called "No Bloat" that lets you remove "uninstallable" apps, I've found it to be a bit hit and miss though.

Whether these work as advertised I am unsure but at least it something. Eventually I'll spend a little time and work out how permissions are done as I'm au faut with Linux and it can't be that difficult to change in a terminal.

1. jason 7

Re: Deleting Apps lately...

Could this be a last surge to slurp as much data as possible before Android M gives users full control to switch all that off?

Unless Google caves at the last minute and switches it all on again.

15. phil dude
    WTF?

liability....

Perhaps move user data to the "liability" model. If you ask for it, you bought it...

Why does Spotify need *any* personal data? Surely it is a music player and the only relevant thing it needs to know is, y'know, the music?

Please Google I hope in the next Android release we get 100% user control on crappy apps asking for whatevertheycangetawaywith...

P.

16. Oldfogey
    Thumb Up

The app is the problem

So just log in through the browser portal. They get no information except the lies you told them when you created the ID, and for some reason it seems to be ad free???????

17. fruitoftheloon
    Happy

Email from the CEO (supposedly...)

Rather than puff more steam into a cloud, I thought I would email Daniel Ek, well I actually got a response....

Of course it could have been a minion, but any response is better than a poke in the nose with a blunt stick.

Here it is:

Sent: 24 August 2015 20:45:55 BST

To: Jay

Subject: Re: Ts&Cs

Jay,

Appreciate you reaching out. We are working on a new set of T&Cs as we clearly could have done a better job communicating this. Please read https://news.spotify.com/us/2015/08/21/sorry-2/ for more info.

All the best,

Daniel

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 jay wrote:

> Daniel,

>

> I hope you are Daniel I was hoping to contact, please accept my apologies if that is not the case.

> I have been a premium spotify subscriber for a fair few years now, my wife and son love it, it has revolutionised how we listen to and discover music.

> When I heard about the 'new' t&cs, I thought it was a wind up, I mean surely Spotify could not be THAT STUPID?

>

> The whole thing is reminescent of Microsoft on a bad day, after they have had too much sugarey breakfast cereals....

>

> Hence unless the whole thing is unwound, you will be losing a long-term customer shortly.

>

> Apparently I have 30 days to 'accept the new terms', err no I don't mate, I have 30 days to migrate to one or more of your rivals...

>

> I will also ensure that everyone I have recommended Spotify to are fully aware of the shocking implications of what Spotify is up to...

>

> I appreciate you are a little busy at the mo(!), a reply would be nice, but not a lump of PR spiel-on-a-plate....

> Kind regards,

>

> Jay

Well there wasn't another reply. So with the help of Spotizr, all (well 96% anyway) of our playlists were migrated to Deezer, took about 10 minutes end-to-end!

An unexpected bonus is that the audio quality of Deezer is DRAMATICALLY better than Spotify, to the extent that wifey noticed it (and she has poor hearing in one lug hole...)

Cheers,

Jay.

1. Valeyard

Re: Email from the CEO (supposedly...)

Thanks for the spotizr headsup, very nice!

1. fruitoftheloon

@Valeyard: Re: Email from the CEO (supposedly...)

Valeyard,

You are welcome.

Also Deezer has the lyrics available for many songs, small boy has found this most useful indeed!

Cheers,

Jay.

18. Mark 85

If they don't have ads, then who are or will be they be selling the data to? Companies don't collect all the data they can without some motive... ulterior or otherwise.

I'm not an app user nor a smartphone user. Just a bit old and paranoid about all this "collection" crap.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like