back to article No boxy Volvo: Chilling in the S60 D3 Manual R-Design Lux Nav

Volvo has always been the marque you bought if you didn’t want to buy German. That didn’t change when Ford bought the brand and hasn’t now that it’s owned by the Chinese company Geely. This little number is a rival to a BMW 3 series or Mercedes C Class. Volvo puts as much emphasis on the trim level as on the engines and this …

1. Yugguy

Remap

It

2. David Roberts
    FAIL

R?

Having a laugh.

Given that the old 850R was rated at 240bhp.

1. Busby

Re: R?

Yeah does seem to be a bit on the tame side to justify the R tag. Looks like a safe if slightly boring choice if your in the market for a low/mid range saloon.

1. Chris Miller

Looks like a safe if slightly boring choice if your in the market for a low/mid range saloon.

A low mid/range saloon for nearly £40K? Fuggedaboudit!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Two tonnes! Range Rover drivers are already getting fined for using Marlow Bridge, at this rate Volvo drivers will soon be in the same position."

It doesn't weigh 2 tons. There's been a cockup on volvos information page. I suspect that weight is the max towing weight, the cars actual weight is around 1.7 tons.

3. What? Me worry?
      Headmaster

R Design, not an actual R. Sheep in wolves clothing model. ;)

1. Yugguy

The R Design tag is like the Audi S Line tag - it means feck all in terms of performance.

Car should shift ok once it's remapped to about 200bhp.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

"Given that the old 850R was rated at 240bhp"

Get it remapped for around £200 and enjoy another 40 / 50 bhp.

I know someone that had a 850 T5 that was pushing out 310bhp....

5. J. R. Hartley

R-design != R

3. Frank N. Stein

This Volvo is expected to take on BMW and Mercedes with 150hp in a low pressure Turbo Diesel? Maybe as far as the ride and gas mileage goes, but not in performance. My 96 850 GLT N/A has more horsepower than that, with no turbo. No wonder Volvo is leaving motorsport.

4. ZSn

Seats

Volvo seats are meant to be comfortable? Not in the 360s I drove they weren't.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Seats

" Not in the 360s I drove they weren't."

360s (and their 400-series brethren) were DAFs designed and built by Nedcar. The only input Volvo had into them was the badge.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Seats

"360s (and their 400-series brethren) were DAFs designed and built by Nedcar. "

Nedcar? Good thing they don't sell cars badged under their own name in scotland.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Buy one now!

And then you can tell all your friends in a droning, adenoidal voice, "I have just purchased a Volvo S60 D3 Manual R-Design Lux Nav complete with ABS, CW, FAB, PACD, ACCDA, LKA, D, AHB, RSID, and BSIS with CTA".

Oh joy!

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Buy one now!

And they think "TWAT"

2. Dr_N

Or alternatively, buy an Audi and have everyone+dog think you're an unmitigated douche...?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Or alternatively, buy an Audi and have everyone+dog think you're an unmitigated douche...?"

That's a very unfair description of my neighbour. In fact I think he got his at more or less VW prices. It looks like the special shine is wearing off Audis.

Which manufacturer is going to be next to take on the mantle of tosserdom?

6. Pen-y-gors

Chinese?

If Volvo is a Chinese company, how come they aren't selling the cars for about five grand a pop?

1. david bates

Re: Chinese?

MG is also a Chinese company and they're not selling cars for £5k a pop.

Mind you, they're hardly selling cars at any price so....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Mind you, they're hardly selling cars at any price so...."

It seems the Chinese still haven't figured out after that putting a famous badge on a turd you still have a turd.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"how come they aren't selling the cars for about five grand a pop?"

Because people are willing to pay more for them (charge what the market will bear, etc)

Speaking about paying more, are there any stats on how many "driver assist packages" are actually being sold?

IE: Is it a halo product or are people actually buying the option in significant numbers?

3. What? Me worry?

"how come they aren't selling the cars for about five grand a pop?" 'Cause the Volvo cars are still made in Sweden. Not all, mind you, but many.

We were recently at the Volvo factory outside of Gothenburg for the Overseas Delivery Program with myinlaw who picked up a V60 T5 with all those bells & whistles mentioned in the review. Saw V/S60, V70, XC90s coming off the line. Really neat production stream, but photography strictly verboten.

Yes, I can see where the money goes. Still don't want mine myself, the need to sort out the bloody headrests and seats! The 740 had better fitting driver seat than these new ones. :/

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"You might argue that drivers should be aware enough to not need these features"

... and then you would be showing a fundamental lack of understanding of human performance factors.

Or it might just be that my driving skills have been undermined by all that advanced driver training, emergency services and heavy vehicles experience, as well as flying aircraft for a living, but I for one certainly welcome the recent technological improvements in driver assistance and situational awareness (which my current private car happens to have).

1. Shady

Re: "You might argue that drivers should be aware enough to not need these features"

A teacher once told me that all driver induced accidents could be reduced to zero by removing the airbag, seat belts and every other safety feature, and mounting a large spike on the steering wheel.

1. Diogenes

Re: "You might argue that drivers should be aware enough to not need these features"

Shady,

are/were you one my students perchance ?

I pass this on to my students, as it was told to me in my previous life as a dev by the Head of WHS at a very very large Australian Corporation & my brother a former Inspector in the NSW Rozzers.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"A teacher once told me that all driver induced accidents could be reduced to zero by removing the airbag, seat belts and every other safety feature, and mounting a large spike on the steering wheel."

Is that because there were absolutely no driver induced accidents in the days when cars looked like this? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/1913_Ford_Model_T_Speedster_dashboard.JPG

Or is it because the teacher is an absolutely imbecilic arse?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Or it might just be that my driving skills have been undermined by all that advanced driver training, emergency services and heavy vehicles experience, as well as flying aircraft for a living,"

You sound like someone who leaves a profession before they find out you're not very good. Tell us what airline you fly for so we can avoid it.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Lane keeping aid

Lane keeping aid - does this mean it drifts until it reaches the edge of the lane then drifts back the other way until it reaches the other edge of the lane at which point it repeats?

If so then my congratulations to the designers: they will have automated the driving behaviour of those big 1980s Volvos perfectly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lane keeping aid

Lane keeping aid - does this mean it drifts until it reaches the edge of the lane then drifts back the other way until it reaches the other edge of the lane at which point it repeats?

Basically, yeah, but it gets super-arsey with you if you try to drive for more than about twenty seconds without your hand(s) on the wheel. Usefully, though, that's just about long enough to open a sandwich / bottle of Coke etc.

The adaptive cruise on the Volvo is easily the best of any car out there, far smoother than competing systems and able to follow the car in front at a range of distances from "miles away" to "Audi". The driver support pack also gives you adaptive headlights, which shade out other cars and pedestrians so you can drive everywhere on full beam at night. It's jaw-dropping to watch, and although the LED matrix in Audis is better, you don't need to pay another £50k to get it.

1. Blacklight

"The adaptive cruise on the Volvo is easily the best of any car out there, far smoother than competing systems and able to follow the car in front at a range of distances from "miles away" to "Audi". "

Not on mine, although maybe that's as I have a '60 plate S60 D5 which was one of the early release "new look" ones.

The adaptive cruise is good, but the closest it lets you get is at least 2-3 car lengths, whereas the average Audi can get so close they may as well be in the back seat.

Also, mine is a bit naff at spotting people changing lanes into yours, between the car and the one it's following - you can watch them move over, until they are firmly in the lane with you and driving normally, THEN the car will go "ooh, a car" and promptly slow down/brake. If you have the distance set at 2-3 car lengths, that can be quite 'interesting'. I've learned how it behaves, but I suspect it REALLY annoys the car(s) behind....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> the closest it lets you get is at least 2-3 car lengths

At what speed? ACC attempts to maintain a constant (but adjustable) time separation. From memory on mine the minimum is 0.5 seconds. I don't know the maximum. It's an Audi so 0.5 seems appropriate enough. :-)

9. ecofeco Silver badge

£37K?

Good god, that's $56,000 American!

Pass.

1. dogged

Re: £37K?

> Good god, that's $56,000 American!

unless cars work like tech, in which case it's about $37,000 American.

2. Archaon

Not really how it works. Bearing in mind we pay around $30,000 for a half decent Focus which would cost you $18,000. And let's just say that while we can now get the Mustang officially in the UK, it's certainly not for $24,000 - double it and then some.

Cars are expensive here compared to the USA. As with everything there's various factors that cause it: tax, import costs, adaptation and manufacturing to right-hand-drive spec, pricing of competing products etc.

3. annodomini2

20% VAT, so £31,866 or $48,754 pre-tax

Still stupidly expensive.

10. Hellcat

Five cylinders...

to generate 150bhp... in 2015?

Seems an unecessary complication of the engine bay, when 150bhp is easily within reach of modern 4 cylinder diesels. Odd pots sound fantastic, but what's the point in sounding good if you don't have the performance to match?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: Five cylinders...

More cylinders != more power.

A modern 3 cylinder can kick out more power than many V8's from just a few years ago and a hell of a lot more than some 12 cylinder monsters from days gone by.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Five cylinders...

"More cylinders != more power"

Fewer cylinders with more power == more stress and shorter lifespans.

You can get 1100hp out of a 1200cc engine with appropriate kit attached, but it won't last long.

OTOH the 300kW inline-12cylinder Merlees diesel gensets I used to tend to 30 years ago in a shortwave TX station (they were 50 years old at that point) would probably be approaching the need for new rings in another 20 years if they hadn't been scrapped. (there's an example of one at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoUUUneG9TM)

Car engines might be _capable_ of developing XYZ horsepower. The fact that few of them are ever called to actually do so, or only ever do it for a couple of minutes over their entire service life is why you can get away with bolting on superchargers and electric boosters for the few times this kind of response is actually needed and get decent mileage the rest of the time.

11. Greg 16

Volvo?

"Volvo has always been the marque you bought if you didn’t want to buy German."

I thought it was Jaguar that was taking a chunk of sales from the Germans?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon