back to article NBN cable rules spark electricity network push-back

Stop us if you've heard this one before: the federal government has managed to alienate important stakeholders in the telecommunications industry, and they're pushing back. This time, its the companies that own retail electricity infrastructure. As part of the multi-technology model that mandated an end to the fibre-to-the- …

1. Term
    Stop

Am I missing something....

If they have to string new cable for the HFT would it not be just as easy to string fiber?

1. Richard Chirgwin (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Am I missing something....

The cables on poles are mostly fibre - that's the "F" of HFC. The thicker cables are to accommodate more fibres to lower the contention, ahead of new standards like DOCSIS 3.1.

Richard Chirgwin

1. Chet Mannly

I think his point is more that if you have to re-lay the entire HFC network then where exactly are the cost savings?

Surely it would have been cheaper to just roll out the same fibre systems across Australia rather than lay and install two systems? I accept that may be far too logical for Government policy though...

I originally thought the idea was that they would just plug in to the existing hfc network, which would definitely save a lot of time and money.

2. Scoular

Re:The cables on poles are mostly fibre

Not around here they are not Richard. life in suburban Brisbane involves a lot of overhead communications to the home.

3. Jasonk

Most of the cables on the poles are coaxial. As you would have a fibre going to node that supports up to 2000 then a trunk coaxial comes out to run to all the homes.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The increase is more

Whilst it is a 60% increase in diameter it is a 156% increase in weight and that will be significant

1. duckbenny

Re: The increase is more

Exactly right.

The 60% increase in circumference is probably worth it in underground cable ducts where weight doesn't matter too much. The 48mm cable would be a *slightly* tighter squeeze but the additional bandwidth achieved is actually quite significant.

On poles, its a different story. The weight of a cable is not proportional to its circumference - it's proportional to it's cross-sectional surface area. This means it would actually be significantly lighter to sling an additional 30mm cable next to the old one *when required* rather than replace it. This would make more sense because it wouldn't require a significant interruption to any existing cable internet or TV services.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

"Patented Malcolm Turnbull NBN Forward Cost Estimator"

LOL

Well played Mr Chirgwin.

Not so well played Mr Turnbull, unless that's your long-term plan.

4. SBU
    Headmaster

Place Names

Please,

"West Australia's Office of Energy Safety" should be "Western Australia's Office of Energy Safety". There is no such place as West Australia.

Cheers,

SBU

1. Clunking Fist

Re: Place Names

West Australia? Mate it's all West New Zealand as far as we're concerned.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Ha ha, ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha

Please excuse the display of mirth but as an Ergon customer there are a few things I'd like to point out.

1. Every cyclone season Ergon's shitty sticks that pretend to be power poles blow over and we're often without power for weeks.

2. Despite their prices to consumers more than doubling over the last four years and claiming to be investing in new infrastructure their poles still fall over.

3. I doubt that things will improve by adding more cables to the aforementioned shitty sticks.

4. Given the increase in prices you'd think their lines would be running in gold-plated, fur-lined ducting by now.

5. The current federal government claims to be "the infrastructure party".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ha ha, ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha

The fittings in the Ergon executives houses and gold-plated and their mistresses are fur-lined. Their poles and wires are just shit. Shit put up by contract workers earning a shit-load of money I might add. May have changed recently but a couple of years ago you could be earning over $150k n a contract and not even being the guy with the line ticket.

6. Mike Flex

Which Reg Bureau?

It would be helpful if there was some indication of which Register office was filing each story - perhaps a national flag with the date and time or just the name of the office.

I know this isn't a UK story from the mention of 'federal government' in the first paragraph but I need to wade down to paragraph eight to find out this is an Australian story rather than a US one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like