back to article Huge, absorbent iPad rumours recycled – and this time it's REAL. True

Apple is reportedly planning to unveil its long-awaited large screen tablet designed for enterprise users. A report from Apple worship site 9to5Mac quotes a source familiar saying that the Cupertino giant is going to unveil the fabled "iPad Pro" next week at its September 9 special media event. The large-screen iPad, along …

1. elDog

Other translation: Large napkins for damp places made from ex-iThings

Other than the lame title, not much stuff to this story. But it will come in any color you want, as long as it's white.

2. big_D Silver badge

OS X

If it doesn't run OS X, I'm not interested. Heck, I'm not interested anyway, I gave up waiting for one and bought a Surface Pro 3...

1. Bill Fresher

Re: OS X

I downvoted you because I thought your comment was dumb.

2. Mage Silver badge
      Windows

I'd wonder if in a few years any Apple gear will run OS X. Unless of course MS totally alienate their x86-64 Windows users so much that all the Business application vendors port to OS X

1. dogged

> Unless of course MS totally alienate their x86-64 Windows users so much that all the Business application vendors port to OS X

because that wouldn't cost them a single penny!

Have you been drinking?

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Err.....

Apple will hold the September event Thursday morning, US Pacific time.

The event is on Tuesday 9th September. i.e in 5 Days time.

If you are a Fanboi and really can't wait then http://www.macrumors.com/ has a countdown timer to keep you happy.

Even crApple would not be so dumb to hold such an event on the 11th September.

1. VinceH

Re: Err.....

"The event is on Tuesday 9th September. i.e in 5 Days time."

I know Overpuddle is in a different time zone, but I assumed the 9th would still be a Wednesday there, just like it is here in the UK.

2. chris 17 Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Err.....

couldn't find the coffee icon

4. djstardust

Samsung failed .....

The Note Pro 12.2 was a great tablet with a super screen but failed completely. It was more table than tablet and just too big to take outwith the house. John Lewis had them half price less than a year after release.

I agree something that size should be running Windows or iOS but I'm sure all the usual Apple hipsters will love it whatever it is.

1. Peter Mount

Re: Samsung failed .....

I do use my Note Pro 12.2 daily, find it useful for email & notes etc but obviously it's the size of a laptop so it's not something you'd carry around for normal use.

2. dajames

Re: Samsung failed .....

The Note Pro 12.2 was a great tablet with a super screen but failed completely.

The Note Pro 12 was a very nice-looking piece of kit -- but frighteningly expensive. It was never going to sell in big numbers at that price.

John Lewis had them half price less than a year after release.

I must admit that i was tempted, at that price, but it still wasn't cheap and I already have a perfectly usable Note 10.

I agree something that size should be running Windows or iOS ...

(I assume you meant OS X there ... these new iPad Pro things are rumoured to be iOS devices)

Should it? The trouble is that most applications for Windows and IOS are designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse, and are frustratingly awkward to use on a touch-only device. Much better to use a system that works well with just touch on touch-only devices, and a system that can make use of richer interface mechanisms on hardware that offers them.

... of course, it would be great if the software writers gave us tools to manipulate the same data on both kinds of device.

5. Omniaural

Absorbent iPad?

When I saw that I assumed that they had developed a solar powered tablet that is constantly charging.

Is there a reason why, with wireless charging now a thing, that a tablet case can't be designed to collect solar energy through one face of the cover then charge wirelessly with the other? Would it generate enough power or just be too unwieldy?

Note: I didn't have a fag packet to hand when coming up with this genius idea, so El Reg will have to do.

1. TitterYeNot
      Coat

Re: Absorbent iPad?

Yes, that confused me too. When I saw the words 'Huge, absorbent' the first thought that crossed my mind was that it might be a new Apple Watch accessory in their wearable line of products, the iNappy*...

* iDiaper for left-pondians.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Alan Denman

Multi tasking W10 tablet for £100 to £200 or a walled in IOS

Enterprise is no go for IOS Im afraid, though it does have some Chromebook like advantages.

Yet there is stll a few sales to glitzy public facing enterprises, ridicule being not about to set in there for a long while

1. jason 7

Re: Multi tasking W10 tablet for £100 to £200 or a walled in IOS

I picked up a 2014 Dell Venue Pro 11 tablet a couple of weeks ago for my Gf. Core i3, 4GB ram, 1080p IPS and 120GB SSD (which is upgradeable as well as the battery).

Was bought for a failed housing project and had just been taken out of the box. Anyway with a year+ of firmware/driver updates and Windows 10 slapped on it, the thing is super fast. Works a treat for £230!

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

So windows 10 isn't a data slurping, privacy ignoring POC/POS then?

Ok, so you can with a load of trickery stop it from phoning home every few minutes but the general feeling around these parts is that sales of 40ft barge poles have just shot through the roof.

Naturally, if you don't care about the snooping then carry on because I'm pretty sure that the world ain't gonna end tomorrow.

1. jason 7

Sorry, I'm 44, never worn a tin foil hat and don't drink Monster energy drink all day.

Got better things to worry about to be honest.

I don't use Facebook/Twitter so I'm well ahead of most (probably even you) on avoiding 'data slurping'.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

I've been reading this stuff and thought pretty much the same. I really don't care if MS want to bore themselves stupid with my uninteresting information.

If I was really annoyed about it I would set things up so that they got fed mostly misinformation and false feedback. But I can't be bothered.

As for the walled garden. I've been walking for miles and miles and still there is no wall on the horizon. *king big garden.

1. jason 7

Yeah plus no real trickery involved in switching most of the feedback off. Mountain, meet molehill.

But it's good some folks have so few real problems to worry about.

8. jason 7

Would have been exciting maybe 2-3 years ago.

Now just another drop of IT stuff in the ocean.

However, I'm sure some young men with bushy beards and too short in the leg trousers are mildly excited.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Would have been exciting maybe 2-3 years ago.

However, I'm sure some young men with bushy beards and too short in the leg trousers are mildly excited.

You just said you were 44. To some of us that is young.

1. jason 7

Re: Would have been exciting maybe 2-3 years ago.

Bless your heart!

9. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Childcatcher

The only use I see is...

For a giant drawing pad where Fanbois can squiggle away with its rumoured stylus creating all sorts of pretty pictures to show their Mommies.

{see icon}

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The only use I see is...

For a giant drawing pad where Fanbois can squiggle away with its rumoured stylus creating all sorts of pretty pictures to show their Mommies.

Well, I'm not going to hold you back from whatever hobby you appear to have, but I'd install AirDisplay on the iPad and OSX and use the tablet as a cheapo equivalent of a Wacom tablet, with the benefit of the pressure sensitivity of a Bluetooth stylus. However, I did say "cheapo" - even over USB3 the lag is noticeable but that could also be because I have a slightly older iPad.

I had any hardcore use for a drawing tablet I'd get the real thing, but it's good enough for occasional use (and it's kinda fun to have the iPad as an extra display as long as you don't try to run movies on it :) ).

Having said all that, I noticed a trend towards SMALLER iPads rather than larger ones to the point where phones and tablets meet. I'm not certain the reverse is true. We'll see.

10. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"...DRM infested Charging Cable monger Apple..."

Every update to iOS leaves another batch of affordable $5 knockoff Lightning-compatible charging cables 'incompatible', and headed to the landfill. Thus forcing an urgent special trip into town to purchase a genuine cable, $40. It'll probably last several months before wearing out.

Anyone considering buying into the Apple brand needs to understand exactly the sot of fiscal abuse they're letting themselves in for.

Nice products. Too bad the decision makers running the place are scum.

I'm mystified why the 'Competition' regulators aren't addressing this scam.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: "...DRM infested Charging Cable monger Apple..."

>Every update to iOS leaves another batch of affordable $5 knockoff Lightning-compatible charging cables 'incompatible', and headed to the landfill. Thus forcing an urgent special trip into town to purchase a genuine cable, $40. It'll probably last several months before wearing out.

That's what some would have you believe.

I've been using the same set of Poundland lightning cables for 2 years. One in the office, one in the car, one at home.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Same here with the Poundland Cables.

1. JeffyPoooh
          Pint

MUST. FIND. POUNDLAND.

11. Alistair
    Windows

crapple announces

My only issue with crapple announcing *anything* is the three week change freeze at work around the announcement.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like