back to article Pwn2Own Tokyo hacking contest trashed, export rules blamed

The Cold War has reached out a long-dead hand to stifle the Pwn2Own hackfest in Tokyo – with the international Wassenaar Arrangement blamed for the event's cancelation. Organized by the HP TippingPoint-backed Zero Day Initiative, Pwn2Own slings bounties to researchers who find and exploit security bugs in popular software and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Couldn't they just have found an unencumbered sponsor from outside "the land of the free"?

Cancelling the event seems an awful lot like giving in to the demands of terrorists.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Perhaps you could pony up the money, I'm sure they'd love to brand it: Pwn2Own, sponsored by Anonymous...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No need for anonymity, just use a shell company in a country outside the US, similar to how Google avoid tax and MS are (trying) to avoid NSA spying on it's users.

"Perhaps you could pony up the money, I'm sure they'd love to brand it: Pwn2Own, sponsored by" HP UK.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Land of the free is not so free

No, at this point in the (legal) timeline. If you do it in the land of the free the "hackfest product" cannot be exported to Europe, Japan, Korea or elsewhere without a license. So you are stuffed in a very similar manner.

The only way to do it is to host it in neutral waters on a ship registered to a country which does not participate in Wassenaar and could not give a damn about software "weapon" exports. In fact any cruise ship registered in the Bahamas, LatAm, Africa, etc is a fair game. If it is outside the main tourist season it will also end up cheaper than doing it in let's say Japan.

Sad but true - we have reached a point where we cannot have an international security hackfest or conference in any Western European country, USA, Korea, Japan, Australia or New Zealand.

3. Warm Braw

>giving in to the demands of terrorists

Is it still terrorists? I thought it was migrants now. Or maybe it's migrants AND terrorists. That's the problem with not using social media, I can't keep up with the latest fashions in paranoia.

1. Halfmad

Let's just avoid confusion and call them "Terrorants" plus it could be a new breed of villain for Marvel movies.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not the man eating atomic terrorants? I saw a documentary about those. It was terrifying.

2. Frumious Bandersnatch

Been there... bought the tee shirt

Couldn't they try taking a leaf ot of Phil Zimmermans book and just print the code on T-shirts? There's only a ban on softwear.

Oh, wait...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Been there... bought the tee shirt

Starch!

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
    Facepalm

Making regulations without understanding the consequences is going really well.

4. g e

Just exclude the USA, surely?

I bet Fujitsu, Honda, Samsung, etc would happily sponsor if a non-yank were needed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just exclude the USA, surely?

Huawei springs to mind as an exceedingly good fit ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I bet Fujitsu, Honda, Samsung, etc would happily sponsor if a non-yank were needed."

How about Huawei?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Odd echo around here!

Hello...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Odd echo around here!"

Sorry, can't hear you, there's a lot of clicking on the line.

Plus all our communications have to be store+forwarded by a Mod Staff Member before being approved to reach the other end. Just in case.

round here"

5. CaptainBanjax

Ffs...

See above.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like