back to article Brit school claims highest paper plane launch crown

It's official: El Reg has finally relinquished its highest-altitude paper plane launch Guinness World Record, almost five years since the Paper Aircraft Released Into Space (PARIS) Vulture 1 triumphantly swooped to earth from 27,310m. On 24 June, The Science Club of Ipswich's Kesgrave High School, led by science teacher Dave …

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Excellent!

Well done to The Science Club of Ipwich's Kesgrave High School, (but I have to note that the absence of a pilot / Playmonaut in the paper plane was a slight disappointment. That may mean that you still hold the crown for highest release of a paper aeroplane insto space with a plastic figure and successful recovery after all.)

1. m0rt

Re: Excellent!

"but I have to note that the absence of a pilot / Playmonaut in the paper plane"

So does this mean it was really a 'Paper Drone' launch and therefore El Reg's record stands?

2. Peter Simpson 1
    Thumb Up

Nice job. Congratulations to the team on a tremendous accomplishment!

3. elDog

No more Paris articles

Between the recent silence from Lohan and the muting of Paris's silvery voice, it will be rather dull around here. Could we convince the lads from KHS to add a nickname, something like Swift Taylor?

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: No more Paris articles

Hmmm, LOHAN.

I'm sure I remember something about that.

Oh yes. It's on my tea cup. What was it trying to do again?

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Wasn't there some kind of AFU with the FAA?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: No more Paris articles

We're still bogged down with the FAA. I can't say any more at the moment, because the situation is delicate. As soon as I'm able to report, I'll do so.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge

Ummm, Lester.

Mexico is right across the border. There's less jurisdictional issues down there and no FAA.

1. Peter Simpson 1
              Alert

"There's less jurisdictional issues down there and no FAA."

[bad Mexican accent]

Si, but the desperados down there, they have mucho artillery! Is perhaps not such a good idea to mingle with them, senor...they don' like strangers so much.

[/bad Mexican accent]

2. Alistair
            Headmaster

Hell, don't go south, come NORTH. We've MUCH more territory that you can chase your 'plane around on....

3. Anonymous Coward
            Terminator

I'm sure the flock who hang out at the Antipodean Annex would be willing and able to help you find an altogether more suitable launch site. Somewhere on the "road" to the Wirliyajarrayi Learning Centre for example? No F(ing)AA there either.

4. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: No more Paris articles @Lester

It strikes me that it would have been quicker to set up an explosives factory and get the correct licences in Spain than chase FAA regulatory approval to allow you to import and fly a rocket powered 'drone' aircraft in US airspace, especially one that can be programmed from outside of the US.

They're probably trying to prove it's some nefarious terrorist plot.

What I'm now waiting for is for the license to be permanently declined, and the plane prevented from being exported from the US without a "dual use, foreign defence article" ITAR export license, which will be similarly denied.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: No more Paris articles @Lester

It would actually have been quicker, and only marginally more expensive, to terraform Mars and use that for the launch.

Mind you, once we got up to the Red Planet there would no doubt be a joint panel of Spanish functionaries and FAA jobsworths demanding application forms in triplicate.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Pirate

Re: No more Paris articles @Lester

Now we know why SpaceX use ocean barges..

Sounds like time for a whip-round to fund the next exciting Reg project: Free & Unregulated Floating Aquatic Aerodrome / SPB launch / Lester's yacht - all the proper megalomaniacs have a yacht...

4. Bob Wheeler
    Thumb Up

I am amazed...

That the paper plane luached at 35,000 meters (21.7 miles) up, lands not so far away from where it is launched from.

If that's by deisgn, or pure luck, it's defo hats off to them.

1. Martin Gregorie
      Boffin

Re: I am amazed...

Its very difficult to make anything fly in a straight line without some sort of autopilot because even tiny wing warps mean that a gliding model will fly in a more or less constant circle. The centre of this circular flight path drifts with the wind, so the distance a balloon-dropped glider lands from its launch point is entirely due to the direction and speed of the wind drift it meets on the way up under the balloon and then, after release, as it glides down.

5. Camilla Smythe

It's a Classic!

Just got out a piece of A4 in order to remember how it is done. Strange to say a mate at Primary School showed me this one back in Mumble 60 something.

Errr..

1) Fold in half length ways.

2) Fold 'front' to make a right angled triangle.

3) Open up and fold over front to vertex of triangle.

4) Fold back in half and tear off square bit form open edge of triangle.

5) Open up and re-fold other corners of previous triangle to centre to create pointy bit.

6) Re-fold previous triangle so torn corners are foremost.

7) Fold torn corners to centre in a triangular manner.

8) Fold pointy bit between torn corners now at centre.

9) Reverse fold length ways so pointy bit holds rest in place.

9) Fold Wings.

10) Extend wings.

http://i.imgur.com/RsrkmLz.jpg

11) Go Fly

Erm E&OE

1. Steve 114
      Thumb Down

Re: It's a Classic!

'Torn'? That's cheating! (but not as bad as staples glue or tape).

1. Camilla Smythe

"'Torn'? That's cheating!"

You damn Origami Purist. You have destroyed my Boy Hood. I shall now have to spend the next five minutes getting over the last Fifty years of my life of failure.

You may assume that if this message has not been edited within the next 10 minutes I have overcome the trauma you have thrown at me.

Otherwise please take your issues with Staples' Glue and Tape up with them.

http://www.staples.co.uk/

2. Salts

5) Open up and re-fold other corners of previous triangle to centre to create pointy bit.

Very technical, in the RN we used to call this part of a ship "the pointy end", which is a more technically correct terminology :-)

1. Camilla Smythe

"Very technical, in the RN we used to call this part of a ship "the pointy end", which is a more technically correct terminology :-)"

Unfortunately you have to get a pointy bit before proceeding to the final, different, pointy end. At least I think it works that way. I'll be buggered if I could follow my own instructions but I would be cheating if I did because I, think I, know what I was blithering on about.

Given you are/were RN you are excused because you have no planes to launch off your pointy bits.

Remind me to bite my tongue.

2. Drew 11

"The pointy end fell off" doesn't have the same ring to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

6. Graham Marsden
    Unhappy

"almost five years" since PARIS?

Bloody hell, where does the time go...?

1. Camilla Smythe

Re: "almost five years" since PARIS?

"Bloody hell, where does the time go...?"

Pub Nosh and delays from the FAA. They are probably waiting for Lester to go titz up from Cholesterol Overload.

2. Stoneshop
      Boffin

Re: "almost five years" since PARIS?

Bloody hell, where does the time go...?

Maybe it's time for the SPB to, like the ESA's a couple of months back, go visit the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt, the guys who run, among other boffinish things, the DCF77 time signal. They may have an answer to that.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Paris 2:

United

New

Deployment

Effort

Rising

With

Extreme

Aeronautical

Revenge

8. Jan 0 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Hey, stick to the point.

There's a lot of waffle here.

We need a shed load of upvotes for KHS! Well done girls and boys! I'm proud of you.

9. Bill Fresher

It's also almost a year (21 Sep 2014) since us lot donated £30,750 to the LOHAN campaign.

Any way we can transfer the cash to these kids instead?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fantastic stuff but for a school project badly let down by the poor grammar in the credits - " we couldn't OF done this without you". aaaaaggghhhh... that really is dreadful.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not to mention a video where the text blends in bottom to top - trying to read the text is very annoying, who thought this was a good idea?! I'm sure the video is very informative, but I just gave up after a minute or two due to the frustration from trying to read that text.

11. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Surely not

It could not possibly be the case that thoise helpful, friendly people at the FAA are just wating for someone else to beat us limeys to it, could it?

No, surely not.

On the other hand, maybe a quick phone call to Mr E Musk would do the trick ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon