back to article Web hosting biz Servint hit by network-toppling DDoS attack

Web hosting provider Servint has been hit by a network outage, reportedly due to a DDoS attack. In a tweet, the company said: "We are aware of an issue affecting a portion of our network. We are attempting to diagnose it and will update as we get information." Email provider SMTP2GO was one of the company's customers to be …

1. batfastad

Servint

These articles are usually when I get guffaw at users of Farthosts, 1&1, GoDaddy etc. But d'oh this one actually affects me.

Been using Servint for some pretty important bits and bobs for a long time and they are really really good. This must be the first outage >10mins I've seen to any of my services with them for probably 8+ years. My monitoring didn't show much interruption to be honest so maybe I just got lucky.

Oh did I say Servint were good? I meant they're rubbish, really rubbish, so please stay away and leave just them to me ;)

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Servint

Sorry, don't have any sympathy for ANY services you rely on if you don't have two distinct providers running them,

Web hosting on a single host? Great for mom & pop, that shop down the road, maybe even a restaurant. The second you get out of "small business" and into something that will lose you custom if it goes off, you should have backup providers.

Now, if GoDaddy AND Fasthosts AND 1&1 AND Servint all go off at the same time (or even two or three of those) then fair enough - there's little more you can reasonably do on a sensible budget.

But hosting your website on a 1&1 £10/month thing and then complaining you're losing custom when it goes offline? Only yourself to blame.

Hell, my GAME SERVERS are on two distinct domains, with two different nameserver hosts, running off two separate servers from two separate computers, on two separate IP ranges. And that's literally paid for out of my "splash-cash" left over at the end of each month.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like