back to article Greater Manchester plod site targeted by nuisance DDoS attack

The website for Greater Manchester Police was targeted by two Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks yesterday, which rendered the site unavailable for more than two hours. The operators of two Twitter accounts have claimed responsibility. Greater Manchester Police (GMP) released a statement confirming that the force's " …

1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

He must be very proud...

...of being the hacking equivalent of a group of kids playing knock door run.

1. CaptainBanjax

Re: He must be very proud...

...and sounding like Borat...

Seeiously read his message in a Borat voice.

Jagshemash!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My Grandson 8i11y is 1337 with c0/\/\pu73r5

@Lost all faith; Yeah... while I don't want to turn this site into Slashdot (#), the story did remind me of the obligatory XKCD:- https://xkcd.com/932/

Also, "n0w1337" and "g0d1337"- how cliched-wannabe can you get? 13375p34k hasn't been cool for the better part of a decade. It's probably not a coincidence that its popularity started declining around the time it was becoming so common that it started appearing in newspaper articles explaining it to your Gran...

(#) Or *do* I?....... :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

But what does it all mean?

No, seriously. I think my gibberish interpreter short-circuited somewhere in the second statementoid.

1. GrumpenKraut

Re: But what does it all mean?

It is a kind of sport: extreme Dunning–Krugering. He's a pro.

3. Small Furry Animal

... and in a future Reg article

Wannabe hacker n0w1337 arrested by plod; wets his pants and cries for mummy

4. Pen-y-gors

But seriously...

I'm glad to hear that their website isn't linked to their operational networks (or so they say...) but these days more and more use is made by the filth of electronic operational tools. and even if they're on separate networks they still need IP addresses. What happens when the script kiddies find out that IP address and start DDoSing that instead of the public website?

(I'm not suggesting it's a good idea, you understand)

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: But seriously...

Operational tools are unlikely to be on public IP's (or at least they shouldn't be)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You need a different shampoo

"Since I started in this world no one ever found me."

Probably because you're not worth it, trying using a different shampoo - it may help...

6. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Detectiveness starts at home...

"Since I started in this world no one ever found me" added the disgruntled ex zero hours contract Manchester Police canteen assisstant.

7. TeeCee Gold badge
    Black Helicopters

either non-native English or fairly sophisticated stylometry-foiling jargon,

That and amanfrommars is conspicuous hereabouts by his absence.

Coincidence? I think not......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Good point! Been wondering where he'd gone... Seems he's jolly miffed with GMP. Did they fit him up for something perhaps?

Doesn't look like this spell of liberty is going to last long enough for him to drop in and tell us :(

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

I dunno, I can usually tease out a meaning or two from amfm's posts - not so this gimboid.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How does XKCD always have a relevant comment?

https://xkcd.com/932/

9. cmannett85

Nothing screams 'virgin' like a half-arsed DDOS attack.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Plod must be delighted. More justification for crackdowns on normal law-abiding people online!

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

I actually thought their response was fairly well done. Nothing much happened - nothing interesting hacked - move along.

If they had been complaining from the rooftops that they had been hacked and something needed to be done/needed more powers then I would agree with you.

11. BenBell
    Paris Hilton

…on a par with connecting to your neighbours non-passworded WiFi and “Pwning” them by rebooting their router . Hardcore stuff!

I love how the police have decided that this is a “malicious attempt to disrupt services” despite admitting that “It isn’t a security breach, and it doesn’t affect our operational capability”.

1. ChrisC Silver badge

"I love how the police have decided that this is a “malicious attempt to disrupt services” despite admitting that “It isn’t a security breach, and it doesn’t affect our operational capability”."

It isn't a security breach, nor does it affect their operational capability, because it wasn't targetting their internal network. However, it clearly is a malicious attempt (not sure what, if anything, would qualify as a non-malicious DDoS attack...) to disrupt a GMP-provided service - namely their public-facing website. So those two statements seem quite reasonable to me.

12. MyffyW Silver badge
    IT Angle

Alternate Reality

In a reboot of Life on Mars A-Division are inexplicably transported forward in time to 2015 and must solve crimes that didn't exist back in '74.

Cue Gene Hunt pinning a IT Service Delivery Manager to the wall with the sort of tirade most of us would get sacked for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5XnpK5Hzo0

13. cbars Bronze badge

as I'm constantly reminded by my bank

"Since I started in this world no one ever found me"

Past performance is not a guide to future returns.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like