back to article Nexenta, SanDisk hop into bed, one thing leads to another – now they've got a 512TB flash brat

Nexenta and SanDisk are integrating the latter's dense InfiniFlash JBOF with the former's NexentaStor to build a half-petabyte-in-3U all-flash array starting at $1.5/GB raw. At these prices disk may not be dead, but it's heading for the mortician's parlor. Tegile has an IntelliFlash product using the same hardware, and says it …

1. Stuart 22

I'm sorry Dave, but ...

Wasn't the HAL array much bigger? And with added daises?

2. Turtle

It's Stories Like This...

Although I've read many stories here about supercomputers and so forth, for some reason it's stories like this that make me realize the vast gulf between home users and enterprise users. I'm not even sure why that is, though.

3. John Robson Silver badge

Dammit...

Where is my 10TB WSRM SSD?

Write Sometimes, Read Many.

I don't even need silly read rates - what's an HD stream? Let's go wild and assume that in ten years there is some UHD content - what's the bitrate on that?

Give me a small (<10) multiple of that and most home users would be happy.

As for write speed, I really don't care, It's be nice if DVDs etc could be written in reasonable time, but that's what overnight copying is for...

1. Mikel

Re: Dammit...

You don't need silly read or write rates and you want 10TB?

Here you go: http://theregister.co.uk/2015/06/09/hgst_packs_shingles_to_make_10tb_drive/

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"starting at $1.5/GB raw"

"At these prices disk may not be dead, but it's heading for the mortician's parlor"

Ahem. From a couple of weeks ago in this same esteemed organ:

http://m.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/24/shingled_disk_drives_gets_spectralogic_disk_archive_down_to_9_centsgb/

That means that spinning disk is more than AN ORDER OF MAGNITUDE cheaper, and slightly better density (800TB in 4U, as opposed to 500TB in 3U)

Put another way: for archival applications, would you rather have 1TB of flash or 16TB of spinning disk, at the same price?

Admittedly the spinning disks will likely consume more power when idle.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: "starting at $1.5/GB raw"

For archive is it important to have it powered up?

5. PlinkerTind

HDD crisis was fake

I hope the HDD companies gets out competed by SSDs, because the three HDD vendors form an oligopoly now, forcing us to pay noose bleeding prices for a simple HDD.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/HDD-Crisis-Was-Fake-Seagate-and-Western-Digital-Post-Big-Profits-266676.shtml

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: HDD crisis was fake

They're two worthwhile technologies but make no mistake, SSD's are not meant to replace spinning disks, not in the real world.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HDD's are here to stay.

If you don't know why then stay out of the Admin's shoes please.

SSD's are what we have fun with at home and Project Managers do Math with, but in the long run you don't want any kind of catastrophic scenarios with SSD's in the picture. I'll just leave it at that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon