back to article Mate S: Huawei 'beats' Apple to force-touch phone launch

Apple introduced “force touch” in its MacBook earlier this year, and it is expected to appear on iPhones very soon. But Huawei has stolen some of Apple’s thunder by announcing a flagship with the variable pressure feature at Berlin’s IFA consumer show today. The Mate phone can “guess the weight” of an object placed on the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it's useful kit

The Mate phone can “guess the weight” of an object placed on the screen – so long as the screen doesn’t break.

Does this mean the Mate S can be used as a convenient portable scale to measure cocaine, MDMA, etc.?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Re: it's useful kit

But.,. will the Apple Drugies want to soil their new 'shiny-shiny' with something like Cocaine or MDMA?

What if their kiddy-winkies get hold of the phone later on?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Mate S is for Huawei druggies.

2. Swarthy

That does raise a good question, how accurate is the scale? I'm guessing gram resolution at a minimum, but can it do milligrams, or at least centigrams? I doubt very much that it can handle more than a kilo or so...

I want a pharmaceutical grade scale that is accurate to no less than 10mg built into my phone.

1. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

The toy scales app only gives readings for objects between 100g and 400g

For drugs, I guess you need to go wholesale.

1. Swarthy

Mostly I was thinking of using it for European/British recipes with grams of flour, etc., and adding caffeine to the recipe, which requires 10mg resolution.

My American measuring set doesn't have a 100g measuring scoop.

3. dogged

You're missing the point in an enormous way. Pair this with something like MyFitnessPal and it's a dieters dream.

4. Frank Bough

Possibly, but strong alkaline is likely not good for sophisticated screen coatings.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>The Mate phone can “guess the weight” of an object placed on the screen – so long as the screen doesn’t break.

Or better known as the the Alabama last call hook up test. She breaks your phone you are too drunk.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The watch is the more interesting of the two IMHO

I actually rather like the design, they kept it classic.

I just don't like the designer guy in their promo, but that's not the watch's fault :)

3. Ru'

"directional listening antenna"?? - I'm guessing "listening antenna" is some odd translation of microphone?

4. MrWibble

Sorry Huawei - I suspect your name / history is not premium enough to charge the same prices as Apple just yet. Don't bank on selling lots of them things...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like