back to article Ex-Secret Service agent who siphoned Bitcoin from Silk Road takes plea deal

A former US Secret Service agent has pleaded guilty to money laundering and obstruction of justice charges stemming from his misconduct during the criminal investigation of Silk Road. Shaun Bridges agreed to a plea deal after being charged with stealing 20,000 Bitcoin from accounts on the dark web drug market run by Ross …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Good to see this

The former Secret Service agent is the second government agent to plead guilty to pocketing digital currency during the Silk Road investigation.

Well it's nice to see that someone guards the guards and quite quickly in this case. I wonder how many have managed to slip the net. Just like AV software alerts - it's not the one's that you receive that are important, it's the alerts you don't get that you really need to know about.

(PH, only if that is your sole idea of "security")

1. Pliny the Whiner

Re: Good to see this

The U.S. Secret Service is quite a madcap bunch. Wild fornicating, public drunkenness, and now, theft of zeroes and ones backed by the full faith and credit of ... air, I guess. On two of these points, these are my kind of people.

2. Richard Taylor 2

Re: Good to see this

it's the alerts you don't get that you really need to know about.

cue the viral Velociraptor

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

Hmmmm

I think he's in a bit of trouble.

--> Checking my pockets for any loose cash..

3. david 12 Silver badge

Mt Gox

Well, now we can guess what happend to the missing millions from Mt Gox (which was investigated by the same people)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mt Gox

Well, now we can guess what happend to the missing millions from Mt Gox

Do we need "guess" if they managed to trace that untraceable currency to their own team?

4. Buzzword

Civil forfeiture

Whereas if the police had pocketed the cash for the force, that's perfectly OK in the Land of the Free.

5. druck Silver badge
    Holmes

Cash?

Did they recover the cash, or was he sensible enough to do that good old analogue thing of burring the cash in the woods for when he gets out of jail?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like