back to article NVIDIA reveals GPUs for blade servers, Linux desktop support

NVIDIA has announced the second version of its Grid desktop virtualisation software, complete with a pair of GPUs for blade servers. NVIDIA is pitching GRID as a hardware offering tuned to the needs of graphically-demanding desktop virtualisation (VDI) workloads. If that sounds a bit exotic, consider environments like the …

1. Captain DaFt

"folks investigate the new Tesla GPUs fro jobs other than VDI."

Aaand now I'm envisioning video cards with bushy black wigs.

(I know, I know, corrections button. But there's none on the mobile site.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The corrections button also requires you to email, it's not a form like the comments. So, I point out corrections via the comments section.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Tesla models

Are they going to introduce an Edison model that steals all your designs and puts an NVIDIA patent on them?

1. CaptainBanjax

Re: Tesla models

Or a Schrodinger version to keep admins on their toes when diagnosing problems.

3. snowweb

Open Source?

But are the drivers open source? They make drivers for their desktop and laptop GPU's but they're all closed source. If you don't trust them, your only alternative is to use the non-proprietary driver from the community, with shaky 3D support and loss of certain features.

If they really want to be accepted by the Linux community, they should go the whole-hog and invite community participation in producing open source drivers.

1. RoyalHeart

Re: Open Source?

Problem: NVIDIA uses third-party IP, and the third parties refuse to allow NVIDIA to open-source the driver code that pertains to that IP.

Until the TPs wake up and smell the OSS coffee, there's not much NVIDIA can do to completely open-source their driver code.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Not likely, I suspect that the whole virtualization play works only with the binary driver.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Only the tin-foil hat crowd cares and those are the ones who want everything for free.

So move on and try using the broken open source AMD drivers.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-fury-opensource&num=6

Quote: I spent $600 on this graphics card, but so far it's been a disappointment and I cannot recommend any Linux user buy an R9 Fury/Nano until either the Catalyst driver is much-improved or until GL4+re-clocking is working and in the mainline code-bases for Fiji. At least by the time that happens, the cards should be cheaper.

1. blondie101

No the 'I don't like to chase the Interweb for stupid drivers. Binary drivers are so stupid and annoying and do taint your kernel so bye bye to secure boot. That's why Linux sysadmins dislike closed source drivers. Take a look at PCI flash storage: sane people running Linux workloads choose Intel vs FusioIO for this. (BTW Intel 'hides' the proprietary firmware inside uefi. Problem solved.)

1. Loud Speaker

I have no objection to closed source drivers if they work properly but they don't. And Nvidia's are particularly bad. Hell, I wouldn't mind if their drivers came with Peri-Peri source if they worked but they are not piss-poor - they don't work at all. They are the full Imperial crap-ton of crap.

They may be fine for the newly released product, but once a newer release comes along, support for the old ones is never updated. Worse than no-came Chinese Android phones.

4. Crazy Operations Guy

Its always bothered me that there isn't some kind of standard instruction set that video cards must support. I figure that the PCIe working group should enforce such a thing before a video card can get a PCI ID, such as requiring that a card support a specific version of OpenGL using a well-known byte-code / mnemonic to execute such instructions. Especially make it so that GPUs could still execute a wide range of 3D operations without needing a driver, but a driver could be used to support advanced features.

This would be similar to the way CPUs work where the OS will run smoothly without a driver, but isn't able to use the accelerated encryption instructions or media streaming bits until a driver is installed.

4. palladin9479

Yeah they aren't going near open source for something like a video driver. Too much IP would be revealed and it would enable their competitors to reverse engineer some of their tech by studying the code.

1. Loud Speaker

Would you like to buy a slightly used bridge - we in London have several you could have at bargain-basement prices?

Video cards have a design life of 8 months. By the time you have reverse engineered their stuff and made your own, you will be two generations behind for sure.

The real reasons are:

a) you wont just discover bugs, you will identify major cluster-fucks in the design.

b) you will discover they have lied and lied in the product descriptions.

c) you will find they have violated a ton of patents

d) two or three minor mods will treble the performance - and they are scared you could market their product as yours, out performing theirs.

e) they have used other people's IP with their permission, but not with their permission to disclose (requires additional fee).

Remember: Windows is clearly superior to the BSDs - the BSDs are desperate to steal Windows IP stack!

Disclaimers:

I have had to remove Nvidia cards from machines when installing Ubuntu over Windows, cos the installer wont even run in text mode on some.

Nvidia cards taste terrible, even with Peri-Peri source - even cockroaches won't eat them!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like