back to article Friday beers scam up 240 percent, inflicts $1.2 billion in damages

Fake email supplier scams are booming and have inflicted $1.2 billion in damages to businesses globally in the past year according to the FBI. The scams formally known as "business email compromise" involved a fraudster compromising the email account of an existing supplier and attempting to steal funds by tricking staff into …

1. Number6

We had one of these, CFO got an email apparently from the CEO telling him to wire money somewhere, except a phone call was made by the CFO to the CEO first to confirm authenticity and so it didn't work.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Good on the CFO, but that seems to indicate that the scammer got some insider info, or he wouldn't have been able to spoof the CEO's email. Must have been some social engineering involved.

1. Number6

It's probably on his business card, I know my work email address is on mine. Plenty of opportunity to pick up such things at shows and conferences, or even a bin somewhere. Lots of places have an easily-guessable email address format so once you've got the names (which are not hard to find on-line in public records), you can crack it.

2. mr. deadlift

and just who let El Reg into MoonDog, hmmm?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Out of date Email database

I have an old Email address that was releated to a small company that I once ran. I formally closed the company down 10 years ago. Yet, it stll gets this sort of email. Total and abject failier IMHO

A/C just in case.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Out of date Email database

Nope.

It only has to work once in a million emails - possibly even less. Email is incredibly cheap to send - they can send a million every Friday for practically nowt and if just one business falls for it, the scammers still win.

What's needed is for the victims to come forward (I suspect most don't) and press wire-fraud charges.

We get many of these scam attempts every week, even including phone call ones - I've had a lot myself, though being a mere pleb they're barking up the wrong tree to begin with.

4. Mage Silver badge

Amazing

Considering how hard it is for legitimate companies to get paid ...

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Amazing

Well quite. We don't pay any invoice without first matching it to a PO which in turn relates to a cost centre and budget code.

You'd have to have a very sloppy finance function to fall for this, so we'll just call it an incompetence tax which will probably be worth paying for the lesson.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

At least they have to spear fish now

The earlier version of the scam was just invoicing plausible amounts for plausible things like printer consumables, so it's some kind of progress now they have to fake senior staff behavior. Once the scammers get really good they can apply for the C-suite jobs too if they content themselves with ratifying the till rather than strategizing and nepotism then they may well be an improvement...

5. John Hughes

A criminal gang called Network Solutions does this too.

Claims that you have an "XYZ" domain that will expire if you don't pay 'em money.

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

No Sympathy

Even the tiny company I work for expects PO numbers and a breakdown of the goods payment is requested for. If they don't match we release our (nearly) tame accounts Rottweiler .

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like