back to article Take two mobes into the shower? I didn't before, but I do now

A Kickstarter project to produce a dual-SIM iPhone is really a separate phone which the iPhone connects to via Bluetooth. The Kickstarter campaign for the 'PIECE' claims it will “Change The Way You Use Smart Phones”. It goes on: “Carrying two phones isnconvenient! [sic] It is not fashionable or stylish; it costs a lot and is …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Thumb Up

"Which, incidentally, is a great excuse :-)."

Oh yes.

This is one of those notions that (if you squint a bit) looks semi-reasonable.

But is in fact complete b**locks.

OTOH a phone with no screen, that only works through a Bluetooth headset and used voice recognition IE only really good at sound stuff (making phone calls and playing music).....

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

Really?

The idea is that because the gizmo can fit in your wallet, you can ignore the fact that it is there.

Presumably the ability to ignore it's there is also dependant on the good graces of the battery recharge fairies.

1. Steve Aubrey

Re: Really?

If recharge fairies are getting into my wallet, I'd rather have them work on the cash or cards.

3. chris 17 Silver badge

surely in 2015 the second sim should be some sort of voip number? lyca (or any other discount provider) should come out with an APP you sync a sim to and then call via wifi or 3/4G using that account once your main sim is back in. Three have an app called 3 in touch which does that via wifi, just need it to work over 3/4G would be great for roaming.

1. Netscrape

This sort of idea would go far if the mobile networks didn't block VoIP on their 3g networks or have terms that say no VoIP. Even today the blocking is in place on some networks. This means the simple app doesn't work for all users and doesn't fly.

I know people working in this area but they ain't discount providers!

4. Alan Denman

For dopes addicted

Get a 2 Sim Moto G !

Wasted words.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: For dopes addicted

Or a Sony or a Lumia or any number of other devices...

That said, I run around with two devices, I have a company phone and a private phone. I am not allowed to put the company SIM in another phone, so no option.

5. jonnycando
    Devil

Need something for cdma

Like a phone with two cdma radios, or the 4g sim unlocked by default so we can choose either or. Used to be there were dual nam phones in the analog days. Oh for the freedom of choice!

6. Sgt_Oddball

Mmmm no...

Why is this a separate device rather than say.... a smart phone case? Also how does it manage with network lockdown, data and SMS/MMS? Questions, questions....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Much easier option.

Digital sim (via an app?).

Or a super small sim, where you can fit two in the same slot as a nano/micro sim, and fit the electronics that let's the phone switch.

Ok, both those ideas have been done to some extent already. With either multi sim batteries that offer an additional sim slot, or skype style apps.

8. Steve Foster

Useful for tablets?

Could this be used to give a simple tablet phone capabilities? Logically, it should be possible...

1. Simon Rockman

Re: Useful for tablets?

Yes. They cite using an iPod touch as a phone

9. Adrian Harvey
    Thumb Up

Using it for roaming

I could see me using it for roaming - but i would have to use it by putting my "home" SIM into the device for calls and txts, and putting the "roam" SIM into the phone. Having to fiddle with SIMs might be a little painful, but no worse than SIM swapping for travel generally.

10. CraPo

Calling it Piece was a bad idea...

especially when you are going to talk about Ring(ing) it!

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/202/718/b176a514af4f8f4ccea3755c659ec1db_original.jpg?v=1437740834&w=680&fit=max&auto=format&q=92&s=93985de95eff81c2373350e660628d1e

11. Uberseehandel

Triumph of the MNOs

When the GSM standard was first developed, handsets designed to be ISDN devices. The MNOs realised that if this functionality was widely adopted, cunning users would use it to minimise roaming costs, so they formed a cartel and effectively pushed dual-sim phones out of view.

At the time this was all going down, monthly roaming costs in Europe, years ago, for somebody working outside their home country were more that the cost of new premium smartphone with a maxed out spec.

There have been several attempts since to make something like a dual sim phone work, but they were dire. I haven't tried dual SIM phones for years, its simpler just to have several phones

12. Netscrape

Seems like a huge amount of engineering to add a second sim.

The kick starter side shows the demand though for this type of solution.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like