back to article German spies sold out citizens to the NSA in exchange for super-snoop-ware XKeyscore

German weekly Die Zeit has published documents that reveal how the country’s domestic spies did a deal with the NSA to get their mitts on souped-up surveillance software. Under the 2012 agreement between the United States National Security Agency and the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution (BfV), the latter …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Sehr geehrte Frau Bundeskanzlerin

You've got some 'splainin' to do.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sehr geehrte Frau Bundeskanzlerin

Since the spooks were so shy about the arrangement the "what the fuck were you thinking?" explanation can't come from the political govt. What they should be explaining is how they're going to get these sods on a proper short leash henceforth, but that's a conversation that a number of fellow "free world" govts should be beginning - what's notable here isn't that the spooks cheated on the safeguards but that they got caught already.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> What they should be explaining is how they're going to get these sods on a proper short leash henceforth

Well, yes, that.

Plus, wasn't Frau Bundeskanzlerin all up in arms a year or so ago when it was disclosed that her cell phone was being listened on? What was that whole show all about?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Plus, wasn't Frau Bundeskanzlerin all up in arms a year or so ago when it was disclosed that her cell phone was being listened on? What was that whole show all about?

It made her look concerned that the dear allies were spying on Germany and it seems to have worked quite well.

Since then, apart from getting a new phone, she has taken no action whatsoever to prevent further spying. Indeed the dropping of the criminal investigation and the current shenanigans about parliament's right to oversee the spies, are indicative of obstruction.

2. Schlimnitz
        Trollface

That leash

Short, and vertical?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Rights"

I don't think it means what you think it does.

Not anymore...

3. 404

Besides, as my boss says, with all governments everywhere tightening down on everything wherever they can, with their computers and their Public Eyes and ninety-nine other sorts of electronic surveillance, there is a moral obligation on each free person to fight back wherever possible -- keep underground railways open, keep shades drawn, give misinformation to computers. Computers are literal-minded and stupid; electronic records aren't really records . . . so it is good to be alert to opportunities to foul up the system.

--Marjorie Friday Baldwin; Friday, pg 5

Robert A. Heinlein was an intelligent man,

1. asdf

Good author too but the pro militarism was always just below the surface with that one. More of a Phillip K Dick fan.

2. Wommit

Re : 404

Thanks, you reminded me of that book. I'll have to reread it as soon as possible. Never know when I might not be able to get to a keyboard to order it. :)

4. Frumious Bandersnatch

would this be a good time

to ask again when we get an extra 's' in front of www.theregister.co.uk?

(he said, sneakily avoiding automatic keyword scanners)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. TaabuTheCat

Re: would this be a good time

Read the article about Google demanding Apple devs stop using HTTPS. It explains it all. No HTTPS until the ad networks support it.

I'd pay a reasonable subscription fee to the Reg for an ad-free, HTTPS version of the site. Be an interesting exercise to run as I suspect I'm far from the only one who would sign up, but you'll never know until you try.

3. Mark 85

Re: would this be a good time

Not going to happen at this point. I saw post by Drew and it's about advertising, revenue, etc. When the ad providers change, El Reg will change then.

5. alain williams Silver badge

The only safe assumption about the spooks ...

is that they are all at it. It is probably reasonable to take their butter-does-not-melt-in-my-mouth statements that they are within ''rules'' as just more deception to the man in the street: either following rules that few know about or just bare faced lies.

The more interesting question is which of their political masters know the full extent of what they are up to. I doubt that none of the politicians know the full extent - just how many ?

6. Wommit
    Big Brother

Status Quo

No, not the group. Governments, all of them, want to maintain the status quo. With the emphasis of static. Then THEY remain in power rather than any upstart newbie. The UK's two party system nearly had a heart attack before the last election when it appeared that an upstart (UKIP) might enter into mainstream politics.

No, all governments want things to stay as they are. They may swap Tory for Labour, Demorcrats for Republicans, but the established power mongers remain. And the voters voice is made weaker and weaker day by day.I really wonder why our rulers still bother with elections anyway. The outcomes rarely make any difference to the electorate anyway.

So the government will use all of its vast powers and resources to keep an eye on what the enemy (no, not the foreigners, the locals) are doing. And give themselves any additional lawfull powers that they may think necessary.

AC, no. Why bother. If the GCHQ doesn't already have a copy of El Regs membership DB then its only a quick hack, or a meeting in a park, or pub. A USB drive going one way and a brown envelope going the other. You know what I mean. And knock knock on the door.

At five AM.

With a sledge hammer.

Its been nice knowing you all.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So here's the deal BND.....

"... We'll give you the software which you can use to unlawfully spy on your own cirizens and hand over the information to us. But you cannot use the software against us."

It makes me wonder why the US embassy in Berlin had antennas on their roof to listen to Angela's phone calls ?

They could have just told their b!tch to do it for them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like