back to article Facebook profiles? They're not 'personal data' Mr Putin

With less than a week until a new Russian data localisation law comes into effect, Facebook is making a last-ditch effort to avoid compliance. The rules forcing companies to keep Russians’ personal data on Russian soil becomes law on 1 September. It is not yet clear what sanctions, if any, will be handed out for non-compliance …

1. Hans 1
    Coat

Not "personal data" it is Zuck's data

2. Turtle

A Truck. A Big One. A KAMAZ 5490, For Example.

"Facebook said it would not comment on the speculations, adding 'we regularly meet with government officials and have nothing more to share at this time.'”

That's the problem right there - and the solution is so easy! They only need to take a truckload of cash to one of those meetings, and then it would all work out the way they want.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

Didn't the Zuck machine demand people use real names (which annoyed the drag queens amongst others)?

Real names are pretty personal and is data. Ergo....

1. Probie

How is it not personal data

So if the Russian Law states "any information relating directly or indirectly to an identified or identifiable natural person" is in effect "personal data" I would love be to a fly on the wall when FB meet the government. If FB manage to convince the Russians that FB hold no "personal data", they need to quit the tech game and go and sell sand to Saudi Arabia.

I will give them a slight tip of the hat for the brazen bollocks to argue it though.

4. Arthur the cat Silver badge
    Devil

This is one of those occasions when you want both sides to lose.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not necessarily

In this particular case I would like to Zuk to loose, but not just in Russia. Everywhere. Including Eu.

Sod the safe harbor agreement - it is not worth the toilet paper it is printed on.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not necessarily

"In this particular case I would like to Zuk to loose, but not just in Russia. Everywhere. Including Eu."

In the wake of Ashley-Madison, I would be interested to see some real statistics on Facebook's users and how it gets its income. What services really get provided to its customers? How many people is it tracking who do not have Facebook accounts?

When in tinfoil hat mode I wonder a little if Facebook is actually a honeypot of the CIA/NSA that has succeeded beyond their wildest imaginings, and its continued existence owes something to off-the-budget subventions from the TLAs. If the Russians know this, everything becomes clear.

...no, not really, that assumes a level of competence beyond the people who brought you the Bay of Pigs, Iraq, and Snowden.

5. sysconfig

Hmm...

Does that particular law really mean that any personal data of Russian nationals needs to be stored exclusively on servers located in Russia? How about Russians living abroad? How do sites do that where no nationality needs to be entered (or cannot reasonably be verified, which would be true for the vast majority)?

While I welcome any way governments can leverage to piss on Facebook and in particular its attitude to privacy, this law doesn't seem to be thought through.

The result for Facebook -and even more so for smaller sites who can't be bothered or afford to set up Russia-based servers- might be: "Sorry, since you are Russian, we cannot currently offer our service to you."

That's neither feasible nor enforceable. We all know how easy it is to bypass GeoIP based checks when we watch telly channels which are "not available in your country". ;-)

1. Ian Michael Gumby

@Sysconfig ... Re: Hmm...

Since Facebook knows who you are, and where you log in from... anyone who signs up and routinely uses Facebook within Russia would be considered Russian.

Its a pretty straight forward proposition.

So either the Zuck get's the 'zuck' out of Russian or it complies with the law.

2. JohnG

Re: Hmm...

"Does that particular law really mean that any personal data of Russian nationals needs to be stored exclusively on servers located in Russia?"

Russian citizens and residents. There are quite a few exceptions - things like data needed for travel security (PNR) and medical data for treatment in foreign hospitals, etc.

"That's neither feasible nor enforceable."

Sites ignoring the legislation may end up with access blocked for users located in Russia. Technical means can probably be used to get around such blocked access, just as is the cases for sites blocked in the UK e.g. Pirate Bay.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Putin's problem

He's not part of 5-eyes so he can't just ask the US to spy on his population when they use US servers; he has to do it all locally. This is his solution.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Putin's problem

Yes, but it's been tried before in Poland, and they eventually had to give it up (as far as I recall) because it became difficult to use *any* service. Protectionist measures only make sense if you can offer local alternatives, and Russia is not set up for that.

As far as I can see, that law is a bit of an own goal. Probably the only benefit is that they can throw out Facebook :).

1. JohnG

Re: Putin's problem

"Protectionist measures only make sense if you can offer local alternatives, and Russia is not set up for that."

That's not correct - sites like VK and Odnoklassniki are probably more popular in Russia (and some other parts of the former Soviet Union) than the likes of Facebook.

7. disgruntled yank

Odd

Not a week goes by when one or both of the newspapers we take names one or more Russians, generally including Putin. Would Amazon sell me a cubic foot or so of Russian soil that I can park these on until its time to hand them off to the city for recycling?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A bribe is to be paid

Some coin will be exchanged and we'll never hear about this again

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A bit of a pain - as soon as a Russian signs onto your site, you're breaking the law. Ah well.

1. SteveK

But who breaks the law? You, the non-Russian citizen, non-Russian resident for letting a Russian enter their personal information into your non-Russian site? Or the Russian citizen/resident for sending you their personal information?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Technically, I, the site operator, would be breaking the law unless I either

1) Ban russians

2) Rent some server space in Russia to shunt those details to

...neither of which I have any intention of doing. An interesting question is who, exactly will be liable....would it be me the technician who would be doing the actual law-breaking bit or would it be the company that owns the website? Probably the people to go after would be the company, as they're usually the ones with money.

There's no mention in the article of how the Russians intend to enforce this...can't see how they can, really. All they can do is block the site off; but that's easily got round by playing the piratebay whack-a-mole game, if Russian business is that important to a site. They can demand fines; but that's just going to get them laughed at.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Technically, I, the site operator, would be breaking the law"

But are you under Russian jurisdiction? Assuming your business isn't in Russia and you don't have a branch office or subsidiary there then presumably not. So can you break a law that applies outside the jurisdiction you're in? (Other, of course, than USian laws where the default assumption of USian politicians and prosecutors is that they apply everywhere.) Where the parties to a contract may be in more than one country it's normal to specify as one of the terms of the contract whose laws should apply; presumably Fb's contract (T&Cs) specify the US.

Although at first sight it appears that this is the sort of thing we European users want to replace safe harbour it isn't. In the safe harbour situation we have someone giving data to a site in their own country, or at least in a country where broadly similar data protection laws apply and having exported to a country where they don't under an unenforceable undertaking to apply similar standards. In the Russian case we have someone voluntarily giving data to a site in another country under whatever DP laws apply in that country.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"So can you break a law that applies outside the jurisdiction you're in?"

Of course you can. In fact, it's really easy with the internet. The question is, what exactly can the "offended" jurisdiction do about it? And how far will they go to prove a point?

Can't remember the country that has a long prison term for people that say horrible things about the royal family; but the existence of the law proves that they're a bunch of insecure tosspots who probably have tiny penises. Even the girls. There you go. Law broken.

Now with this Russian thing I would be breaking the law in Russia, but I fail to see exactly what they can do about it...this law in particular is phrased to apply to people outside their legal jurisdiction...it's calling on tech companies to store all personal data on Russian citizens in servers on Russian soil. Now that's not going to happen because it's inconvenient, expensive and impractical. Even if Russia offered free server space and were trustable (heh!) it still wouldn't happen because you would still need to detect, separate and redirect Russian users and that would take time and effort. No company is going to go through all that just because Putin is off on yet another power-wank. Assuming that names are “any information relating directly or indirectly to an identified or identifiable natural person”, then the previous sentence will be illegal on 1st September.

Technically, any article mentioning a Russian by name will also fall foul of the law. It might be amusing for the press to take this literally for a while and use nicknames instead. "batshit baldy" is the best I have come up with so far (obviously not referring to a specific person there).

10. Crazy Operations Guy

Embassies in datacenters

I wonder if it'd be possible to pay an ambassador to declare a square meter of space in a datacenter as official property of their country, kind of like an enclave...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Embassies in datacenters

Better yet, just import a metre of Russian soil and stand your server on that.

11. Alistair
    Coat

Zuk's answer

"They agree to make it my data"

Putin's response,

"That would be theft. Its MY data dammit"

And we all know what happens to billionaires who steal from Putin.

(had to be said)

12. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Linux

Arctic Circle server farm

Right in Putin's backyard - might be tempting for him to send some troops to secure the site.

(Penguin icon - for Facebook's linux servers, not the feathered variety from the Antarctic)

13. i1ya

Let me explain how it works in exUSSR (Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Belarus' etc)

1. Create the law that is as stupid and ambiguous as possible, holes intended

2. Make sure that government people can interpret the law in any way they want

3. Use it to slap your political opponents and extort money from businesses

4. Profit

14. Eclectic Man Silver badge

What about Russians overseas?

"The rules forcing companies to keep Russians’ personal data on Russian soil becomes law on 1 September."

A certain Mr Vladimir Putin has been quite vociferous in claiming he may have to defend russian speakers and russians living abroad if hey feel threatened, as in Crimea or eastern Ukraine. But if a russian lives 'abroad', won't his or her data also be held 'abroad'? Does this apply even when the russian in question has sent personal data overseas, such as, for instance booking a holiday, or a flight, or buying something over the 'Internet from a foreign place'.

I am confused, unles, of course this is just a way for Putin to have an excuse to attack anyone he doesn't like whenever he wants to.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like