back to article Win10 PCs still stuck on slow boat from China, warehouses empty

Windows 10 consumer PCs will not show up in big numbers at Brit retailers’ stores until the middle of next month, multiple sources have told us. The reason for the scarcity is that Microsoft didn’t allow the OS to be pre-loaded on to PCs until launch day on 27 July, and lead times including sea shipment were eight weeks from …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Meanwhile, in the Intertropical Convergence Zone

The PC market is back in the doldrums

Logbook, 16:30: A large white whale was spotted by cap'tn Nadella on the horizon, but it escaped unharmed.

The wait under the leaden sun goes on.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

But... according to Microsoft

everything in the MS World is rosy

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/08/26/windows-10-now-on-75-million-devices/

A friend of mine just had to replace his PC (psu blow up took out the CPU). One look at Windows 10 at a reseller led to him demanding Windows 7. Nope they said, We can only ship Windows 10 from now on.

He went to the internet and ordered the same Desktop with Windows 7.

His words to me when describing Windows 10 are unprintable. He's not an IT geek by any measure.

so....

Only the time will tell if the launch momentum keeps going or fizzles out.

But there is one thing we can be sure of and that is that some people will be lying about the W10 adoption. But who?

1. Ragarath

Re: But... according to Microsoft

Well a friend of mine...

No I'll not go there, anecdotal is well, just that.

2. c:\boot.ini

I know of three more, here ... they looked at it and it looked too much like 8...

3. JP19

"He went to the internet and ordered the same Desktop with Windows 7"

At least he still bought Windows. Some friends replacing a dead PC which ran XP ended up with an expensive Mac in preference to buying a much cheaper (and still much better than they had) PC with Win 8.1.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Microsoft refused to comment

I wonder why.

Maybe it's because there's nothing they could say that would be taken seriously unless it were the words : "We goofed. Big time." ?

One thing I wonder, why didn't they push back the launch date when it was becoming obvious that they were not on track to succeed ?

Is it that urgent that Microsoft push out a new OS now ? They could have easily pushed the date back eight weeks to coincide with delivery and I don't think anyone would have actually noticed.

1. JP19

Re: Microsoft refused to comment

"pushed the date back eight weeks to coincide with delivery"

But think of all the App store sales they would have missed out on (snigger).

2. ben_myers

Yes, it's most urgent for Microsoft. Windows 10 is the trojan horse for Bing to beat out Google in the ad race and both the Microsoft and Apple app stores in the app selling biz. Just walk through all the user settings and see how much a Windows 10 user is giving away to the Redmond borg.

3. P. Lee

And we certainly won't fill in the time by making comparisons between the desirability of MS' new OS and the Ashley Madison website, no sir we won't!

4. Frumious Bandersnatch

refused to comment?

That's a bit strong, innit? Did you try "ah gwannn, ah gwann, ... ?"

5. Pirate Peter

windows 10 is an improvement on 8.1

I actually quite like 10, BUT you have to turn off so many settings to stop M$ from snooping more than the NSA it takes a while to set it up

Even runs nicely in my 7" tablet,

But all the cool features like Cortana are not available unless you sign in with a Microsoft account and gift them all your web history, location and soul

Still a lot of niggles in it

Also all you seem to get in windows update are a single rollup package, so if that is the way they are going to play it with the business version I can't see many adopting it and 7 will become the new XP

6. Roland6 Silver badge

"W10 PCs will not show up ...until the middle of next month"

Timing!

Just a few weeks before rumours say MS will release a key/major update - what can go wrong...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like