back to article VMware quietly sneaks out NSX 6.2 update and/or bug-blast

VMware has quietly let NSX 6.2 out the door, so those of you hoping for a big software-defined networking (SDN) announcement at VMworld next week can probably resign yourself to a dull keynote. The biggest change is that you'll need more memory and CPU cycles to get NSX working. VMware says you'll now need at least 16GB of …

1. Nate Amsden

expect nothing

For me nothing exciting has come out of vmware since vsphere 4.0 (I say that as a loyal vmware customer since 1999)

1. unredeemed

Re: expect nothing

Really? Since 4.0? I think huge things have been refined over the years, perhaps not ground breaking, but they have taken things to the next level, and far exceeded the competitor space.

If vmware were to stop developing anything as of today, it would be 2+yrs before the competition even came close to offering similar enterprise features from scalability, HA, failover, 3rd-party plug-in integration, etc.

While the fundamentals are the same from 4.0 to today, everything is just IMO, better/bigger/faster. Of course it's thrown in a whole slew of complexity and licensing headaches too....

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: expect nothing

scalability, HA, failover, 3rd-party plug-in integration

Every major hypervisor has these. has had these for ages.

The things VMware has that other hypervisors don't (like FT, wan vMotion, etc) are still pretty niche. There are reasons why VMware is still dominant. Basic functionality isn't one of them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please sir, may I have mo' Mammory and Cpu's please....

The massively resource sucking app is running a close second to vCenter in the who-can-eat-more-RAM-and-more-CPU competition for 2015. Now if NSX were just actually used more.....!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Please sir, may I have mo' Mammory and Cpu's please....

And they're still amateurs in the consumption stakes compared to vRealize Operations...

Oh, and 'Mammory and CPUs' is putting odd NSFW images in my head....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This day and age

I can't believe we have a sensational post out of 16-24GB of RAM and 8 cpu cores(not cpu sockets mind you). I guess this is a slow news day.

My new Laptop has 16GB Ram and 8 cpu cores.

If this post was something about how things either worked or not with this product, that would have been much more useful.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like