back to article Aviva phone hacker jailed for 18 months over revenge attack

A senior techie has been jailed for 18 month after he was convicted of hacking into hundreds of phones at insurance firm Aviva, an act of sabotage designed to extract revenge against a firm that supplied security services to the insurance giant. Richard Neale, 40, pleaded guilty to a hack against Aviva designed to cause …

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Security schmecurity

So Neale saved Aviva £80,000 per year, then? Regardless of al other fctors, that was indeed a very bad show for Esselar/Moblicity.

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

room for subtle revenge?

Perhaps Aviva could have words with fellow members of British insurance industry.

Imagine his surprise upon coming out of prison to find a whole new car insurance category created just for him - don't touch with a bargepole.

Riffing on an idea in one of the Red Dwarf books - in Rimmers better-than -life world someone who crossed him would never be able to buy a certain brand of baked beans ever again.

3. LucreLout

18 months??

Where's the violence? Hacking former employers is easy, unprofessional, and stupid. There's no justification for it. But an 18 month tariff for this is insane compared to what is handed down for far more serious offences.

1. Gordon 10
      FAIL

Re: 18 months??

OH Really? How many people lost their jobs when Esselar lost the contract and presumably others due to the publicity, and how much suffering did that cause?

Too short imo. Random sentence bullshittery aside. Perhaps you'd like to post the AVERAGE sentence for some of these serious offences - rather than the low end of the distribution one you read about in the Daily Fail?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

plus it will actually less than 9 months - time served on remand (if he was held in custody)

2. LucreLout
        FAIL

@Gordon10

I've been the victim of several serious assaults spanning the course of 30 years. Despite convictions in each instance, nobody has ever done a day in jail. Not one single day. I have several plates in my face & skull which will never be removed, and non-trivial levels of nerve damage.

Finding another job is easy. Trivial in fact. Only those without marketable skills need worry, and there's nothing to be done for them anyway. You'll just have to take my word for it that you'd rather be hacked and lose a contract than beaten unconscious, beaten some more, and then have your head stamped on by a gang of thugs.

It is a fact, which you can verify by visiting most mags courts and any crown court, that a first offence of section 20 GBH with an admission of guilt will not result in a custodial tariff. Not even a few nights.

If we've not got the space to jail violent offenders then we have not go the space to jail a moron who cost his employer just £80k. My medical bills alone cost the NHS more than that last time I was mugged, to say nothing of the police and prosecution costs.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/wounding_or_inflicting_grievous_bodily_harm/

Starting point 3 years, 1/3rd off for guilty plea, 1/3rd off for mitigation (remorse, first offence etc), and the remaining 12 months get suspended for 2 years by default. You have your evidence sir.

4. GrumpenKraut
    Pint

> Despite convictions in each instance, nobody has ever done a day in jail.

This truly makes my blood boil, it's similar in my home country.

Europeans tend to ridicule the amount of money assigned to bodily damage in the US, while around here it is in my not so humble opinion ridiculously low. As in your case, the offenders often have to pay zilch.

Beer, just because. =-------------------------->

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like