back to article Samsung emits Galaxy S6 Edge+ 'inboxing' video

Unboxing and teardowns used to be something that fanbois did, but marketing savvy Samsung has hijacked the genre with a video of its own. Calling it an “inboxing”, the video shows the phone being assembled, not by a worker on a production line, but by a well-dressed man in the kind of setting you only see in carefully crafted …

1. djstardust
    WTF?

Lost the plot ....

Samsung have clearly lost the plot lately. They are not Apple and need to realise this sooner rather than later.

Instead of all this marketing crap, the thing that will sell the phone is the price which currently is ridiculous.

Oh, and please put the SD slot and removable battery back. thanks!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And all of that without the slightest ESD protection..

not by a worker on a production line, but by a well-dressed man in the kind of setting you only see in carefully crafted videos

:) Brilliant observation. I would, however, prefer that specific phone not to be the one sent to me as it has been assembled without the slightest attention to protection from static electricity. The table didn't strike me as equipped with a grounded surface, and although the guy could have been wearing a shoe strap for conductive tiling, somehow that room doesn't strike me as lab-spec. Heck, it probably has carpet ..

Now, can we ship this guy off to the factory for a year, learning how it's done by the peons?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Re: And all of that without the slightest ESD protection..

Heck, it probably has carpet

But it is probably an anti-static carpet

3. Captain Queeg

I quite enjoyed it

In a gentle, ease myself into Monday kind of way. :-)

Though as has been said, seeing these built in production would be much more interesting.

4. OffBeatMammal

hats?

I only saw one hat.

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: hats?

Maybe they share it, like "headwear as a service"...

5. Teiwaz

The Video, and here's another hat '^'

It kind of struck me a little like the shopping mall from one of Mr Pratchetts books. The forms are there but not the substance. They've seen these types of videos, they know they are popular, but they don't get Why.

6. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

That elevator music sure made the assembly video classy.

7. Bluto Nash

(non) Sticky situation

Hmm. Didn't see the (apparently) liberal application of adhesive during assembly, either. As djstardust points out, Samsung appears have gotten away from that which made it so popular in the first place - lower price point, good performance, replaceable battery and a microSD slot. They really need to reevaluate their line of thought and take a step back to what go them where they are today.

1. GrumpyOldBloke

Re: (non) Sticky situation

That wouldn't work either. A step back is a phone with no compelling story or reason to purchase over the previous model. Android is currently dead in the water while Google focuses on bland power efficient software designs rather than compelling high end features. Samsung are left with gimmicky tricks - like thin phones with small batteries - or genuine innovation just as soon as someone else does it. Part of the problem is (as another recent article about Steve Jobs and market segmentation) pointed out is what does each type of customer want to do with the device. I want an Ubuntu Edge so why not shove Android and ChromeOS into the one device. Others may want a faster more intuitive work space for their common tasks rather than a gesture every which way and blocky icons. Dust and water proofing, improved drop protection, dual screens, tighter whats-app integration, open standards rather than Samsung proprietary everything etc. Who exactly is the customer for these phones, people who are a bit posh but don't like Apple? Are there enough of them to turn a profit?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like