back to article Microsoft issues first SharePoint 2016 preview

Microsoft has released the first preview of SharePoint Server 2016 and outlined a buzzword-list of new features. Microsoft says its made “deep investment in HTML5” to give you “capabilities that enable device-specific targeting of content. This helps ensure that users have access to the information they need, regardless of the …

1. hplasm
    Facepalm

Sharepoint 2016

Now you can lose your files- in the Cloud!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sharepoint 2016

Yep. spot on.

I uploaded a PDF filie into our sharepoint system last week.

I carefully copied the URL and put it in an email to some colleagues (I refuse to use that non term 'co-worker')

Several of them accessed the document last week. One was on holiday until yesterday.

He tried to access said document.

Guess what... It has gone.

The document disappeared over the weekend. Even the Sharepoint Admins can't find it.

I even supplied them with a screenshot (which had been included in the emails) to show them that I wasn't telling porkies.

Nope it has gone to that great bitbucket in the sky.

It is little wonder that there are at least 10 different local document stores in use around the company 'just because' sharepoint is so crap. Perhaps if we asked kindly the NSA might give us our document back?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That non term 'co-worker' is of vital importance (to colleagues who can't spell colleagues)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Who you calling cow orker?

I've never orked a cow in my life!

2. greenawayr

Been working with various iterations of SharePoint for the past 6 years, in various organisations of varying quality.

I've seen this many times...there's a common theme with each issue, it tends to be the fleshy, squidgy thing. Never thought I'd see such issues from esteemed El Reg commentards though.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This stain on the conscience of mankind is still being worked on?

Maybe it won't be necessary to buy 3rd party add-ons to make it somewhat acceptable.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

All your team site are belong to us.

4. Mint Sauce
    Childcatcher

Your life, as it has been, is over.

A new “cloud hybrid search” will permit users wielding “SharePoint Server 2013 and Office 365 to retrieve unified search results through a combined search index in Office 365.”

Wow, sounds like they've done the impossible, and made finding stuff that's been borg'd into sharepoint even harder!

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Sharepoint 2016 ?

More like Failpoint.

Can't someone put it out of its misery ?

1. mrbawsaq

Re: Sharepoint 2016 ?

Shitpoint

6. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Giving you “capabilities that enable device-specific targeting of content."

That sounds like a long term maintenance nightmare for anyone foolish enough to use it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have you ever wondered

Why perverse products from the SM stable get whipped into service by the corporate sector?

Sadomasochism, a subset of BDSM, is the giving or receiving of pleasure from acts involving the receipt or infliction of pain or humiliation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadomasochism

UNQUOTE

Perhaps it’s because management simply like to “switch between activity and passivity” with Share Pain.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Lyndon Hills 1

Re: Old Joke gets new life

To paraphrase an old MS Access joke. You have a problem and you use Sharepoint to solve it - now you have two problems.

s/MS Access/regular expression/ the way I heard it.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sharepoint is the new Lotus Domino

Our intranet is built in Sharepoint. We could have bought an intranet-in-a-box that did 10x more for 5% of the money. But it wasn't running on the 'strategic platform'. Oh yeah, we also use Sharepoint to share files with people who don't need them

1. Hollerith 1

Re: Sharepoint is the new Lotus Domino

Don't. Get. Me. Started.

Every time I see an intranet running on SharePoint I knwo that IT has overreached itself, and has given themselves a Big Boys' Toy that fits right in their comfort zone without a care for the the absolutely crappy user front-end. I have turned down juicy consulting jobs when I saw SharePoint in their headlights, or already on premises, because it is impossible to deliver a quality product with it. Yes, youc an spend £4m and get is to 'work', but by do that when you can get something really superb for a comparative song?

When IT colleagues start telling me how they could really add value to the business if only someone listened to them, I ask if they would implement SharePoint for anything other than project management and, if they say yes, I make Note To Self never to ask their input on any business-related thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: add value to the business

I suppose, technically, the business is worth more - there's the resale value of the dozens of servers it will need.

I do despair of that comfort zone - it's that old-school IT-for-its-own-sake ethos where the business benefits are quickly dropped off the spec.

"We have a great Sharepoint setup." "Yeah? What's it for?" "Oh, about a million quid a year"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like