back to article Post-pub nosh neckfiller: The Ugandan 'rolex'

Our latest expedition into wonderful world of wobbly dining takes us to Uganda, where street vendors punt the popular "rolex", according to one Reg reader who, having tried one in the capital Kampala, reckoned it was a good fit for post-pub dining. The rolex, we should explain, has nothing to do with timekeeping, but gets its …

1. Nick Leaton

Ugandan Rolex. Such a great name.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

As long as you don't pay by African Credit Card (aka. avtomat kalashnikova)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Such a great name.

You can see why many informed commentators think the torch of innovation has been passed to the African continent

2. Blake St. Claire

Over here we'd call that a breakfast burrito

But we'd make it with a tortilla, which come ready made in packages of ten.

Well, not exactly, but close enough for government work.

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: Over here we'd call that a breakfast burrito

Like minds. I saw the preparation and was going to ask: what exactly is the difference between a flour tortilla and chapati? They look pretty much identical. The gentleman of Indian descent in the office next to me wasn't entirely sure.

And you can get these handily prepared by the presumably sober folks at quite a number of fast food establishments in my area (and not just the one with the Bell...), some of which are open 24 hours.

3. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Joke

C'mon

That just has to be a euphemism.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. x 7

you need some Ugandan bacon to go with that

5. Mark 85

Unlimited potential....

for fillings. I guess one's creativity with fillings would depend on the amount of alcohol in one's system.

6. Frumious Bandersnatch

not so keen on your chapatis

They look altogether too thick and doughy.

If you're going down the route of making bread, nothing beats Malaysian roti canai. There's a bit of an art in stretching and folding the dough (like a pizza, but much thinner) but you can cheat with an oiled rolling pin (or clean wine bottle, natch) on an oiled counter. The stretching notwithstanding it lends itself well to some advanced preparation (mixing, kneading and proving and chilling the dough). It's also not too hard to whip up a quick lentil curry/sauce. The combination of the two is simply amazing. It's the perfect comfort food and great soakage after a night on the batter.

I've never made this myself, but after buying an electric griddle/flat-top in Lidl recently, it's high on my list (with okonomiyaki being the main other use I can think of). I reckon that ciabatta flour is a good bet rather than plain flour since it's higher in gluten and should give a better texture and be easier to work with. Lidl happen to sell those bread mixes, too.

The pics in the article reminds me also of Japanese tamagoyaki, which is basically a cross between an omelette and a crepe, but rolled up into a log and sliced. There's also a certain amount of skill involved in making them, but I gave it a shot recently and it actually turned out surprisingly well. It really needs katsuobushi, though (or Japanese dashi) for an authentic flavour.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: not so keen on your chapatis

I have a small rectangular frying pan that's great for tamagoyaki - 100Yen from a 100Yen store. Also very useful for making omelettes to fit into sandwiches.

1. Thecowking

Roti chani is the breakfast of kings.

Bah! I miss Malaysian food so much, it's high time I looked for a telecommuting job here in the UK and moved to Penang.

That way my pension will go to my wife after I die from terminal food overdose after a couple of years.

1. Triggerfish

Oh I so agree on Penang, what an amazing place for food, not only the Malaysian food, but the grub from China town and the Indian curry houses.

2. Mark 172

Mmmm...tamagoyaki, so simple, so delicious, but frustratingly hard to get perfectly alternating crispy/fluffy/gooey layers! My 100 yen egg pan slowly disintegrated, being too far from Nippon to find a Daiso a cheap rectangular bread tin works was substituted and works well enough.

Reminds me it's time to submit a suggestion...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon