back to article Euro X-ray 'scope snaps Milky Way's 'tumultuous heart'

A new image from the European Space Agency's (ESA) XMM-Newton X-ray 'scope gives a nice view of the wild party at the Milky Way's "tumultuous heart". The XMM-Newton image of the Milky Way's centre The snap spans around one thousand light-years and was compiled from all XMM-Newton probes of the area, "adding up to about one …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Labels ?

I cannot work out which blur is"The bright, fuzzy source to the right of the image centre."

Would adding a label kill you ?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Labels ?

Talk to ESA - I agree thing needs labels.

2. Bunbury

Re: Labels ?

The ESA article in full narrows it down a bit. See all the complicated tricksy lights in the middle? It seems it's the collection of bright bits on the right hand side of that, surrounded by the expanding ring of materials.

2. sandman

Fire up another spliff

Wow man, I last saw lights like that at a Hawkwind gig in 19** - freakin cosmic ;-)

3. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

What is Matt holding

And why is it not a pipe? He's wearing a proper coat for boffinry but the pipe is curiously absent.

EDIT: After a bit of digital zoomery, I conclude it COULD be our intrepid LOHAN pilot, presumably antsy from all this waiting for launch, but difficult to tell. The secondary question, however, stands. It should be a pipe.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like