back to article Gas giant cores actually built from shedloads of gravel

New research has lent weight to the idea that the cores of gas giants, such as Saturn and Jupiter, were quickly formed from billions of small pebbles, rather than a smaller number of more substantial rocks over an extended period of time. According to Nature, previous wisdom had it that these planets built up from "a stately …

1. AbelSoul
    Trollface

Re: Southwest Research Institute in..

...Pebble Boulder, Colorado.

Bravo!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Southwest Research Institute in..

The Mountain West exists so people in the Southwest have world class skiing (plus you have to put the Mormons somewhere, I keed). Still Boulder was a real funky place during the first dot com. You would see entire suburbs made of people under 30. Those days of early house ownership are long gone today.

2. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Pint

knowledgebase expansion

The rate at which we discover knowledge of the universe (and particularly our little corner of it) is expanding rapidly. (Or perhaps I'm just paying closer attention now but, I don't think it's that.) The scientific gains in the last 50 years seem to be coming faster and faster - whilst simultaneously tending to be more and more profound.

I raise a glass for astroboffins the world over. Thank you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: knowledgebase expansion

Indeed! and a big aspect is how easy it is to peek into all the dens of boffims and find out what they're boffining away on. When I was a nipper there was Sci Am to look forward to every month for the big bricks and New Scientist for smaller and more topical matters: now I stand under a pressure shower of fascinating stuff.

Let alone open source projects! Once I could delude myself that I was the smart guy in the room (it was a pretty small room...), but now on mailing lists like LLVM not even a myopic narcissist like me can maintain such a delusion. We used to read about luminaries in fabled places like MIT, now we can work with them.

Strangest of all is how quickly I've come to take it all for granted!

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: knowledgebase expansion

Agreed. There is top work going on, and it's all eye-opening. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a big pile of gravel to address - to make concrete, rather than a gas giant - but I'l be thinking of Jupiter as I man the cement mixer.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well we do need to hustle as every year more and more of the mass/energy in the universe becomes inaccessible forever going forward.

3. John Mangan

At least some of that has to be down to the increasing number of brains on the planet unencumbered by slavery, disease, local warlords/chieftains, etc. living in (reasonably) free societies. Now if we could just do the same for those souls struggling on less than $10/day imagine the rise on the resulting curve!

Of course there are those who believe we may get to the point where it takes so long for even a very bright human to get to the cutting edge of even a small area of knowledge that rpogress will effectively stop.

Better hope we have truly intelligent machines before we hit that wall.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Wow!

The ultimate multi-core!

4. Disko
    Coat

They're rocking the cradle

of planet formation theory.

5. Magani
    Mushroom

This must come as a surprise...

...to Slartibartfast.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Coat

Re: This must come as a surprise...

I gather he wanted to do Jupiter all in fjords

6. Martin Budden Silver badge

Metric shedloads, or the slightly larger but less convenient Imperial shedloads?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

You know we're purely metric these days.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Pint

{cough}

... and you'll go miles out of your way to prove it.

(mine's a pint)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon