back to article Yet another Android app security bug: This time 'everything is affected'

Yet another potentially serious security flaw has been revealed in Android. This time the problem involves the mobile operating system's ability to run more than one app at once – as opposed to its handling of multimedia messages, which was the crux of a cyber* of vulnerabilities last month. The latest security blunder opens …

1. Stella Duvel
    Linux

A flap of flaws?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A fucket of flaws.

2. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

A Corbyn of flaws.

Its heart is in the right place, but ultimately its policies cannot work in the real world and will destroy the very thing it strives to uphold.

2. bluefin333

A scrubbing of flaws?

1. Irony Deficient

flaw vs. floor

bluefin333, it doesn’t work as well for speakers of rhotic dialects.

“A scourge of flaws” was my first thought, but since “scourge” is already used with mosquitoes, I’d go with “a knout of flaws” instead.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: flaw vs. floor

since “scourge” is already used with mosquitoes

You do know this whole collective-noun nonsense is just a Victorian parlor game, right? There's no law that prevents reusing one of these middlebrow witticisms.

2. Daggerchild Silver badge

Nice :) A 'Scrubber' will let theReg slip more double-entendre's in tho ;-)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Many

A giraffe of exploits?

(you'd be sticking your neck out to say there are not more)

4. chivo243 Silver badge

old term?

shed load? a sandbox full of lincoln logs?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: old term?

A "metric f*ckton". As opposed to the old "imperial f*ckton" which is slightly larger, but harder to convert to Blue whales.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

But...but..but...

it's Linux, it has no flaws!

1. Necronomnomnomicon

Re: But...but..but...

Linux running Java, it's a lovely sturdy wooden desk that someone's put their horrible woodworm colony on.

1. P. Lee

Re: But...but..but...

>Linux running Java, it's a lovely sturdy wooden desk that someone's put their horrible woodworm colony on.

... and then placed outside in the park under a tree with low-hanging branches, right next to the street.

6. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Facepalm

In God's name

And people carry out - are encouraged to carry out - financial transactions on their phones.

1. charlie-charlie-tango-alpha

Re: In God's name

+1 to that

But regardless of whether or not there is any remotely exploitable vulnerability, trusting a bloody phone for sensitve transactions is just loopy. The damned things get lost and stolen.

http://www.ibiblio.org/Dave/Dr-Fun/df9604/df960410.jpg

2. chivo243 Silver badge

Sitting here in a tinfoil hat, I never use mobile banking, and am slightly paranoid about even using a personal workstation for financial transactions.

I remember the day back in the 80's I got my first ATM card, wow what a technology. I didn't need to visit the cutie at the teller window. I was told "It's designed to keep banking costs down???" I'm afriad to know how much the mobile technology adds to the monthly fee/per transaction fee the banks continue to charge. and reap profit.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I pay my bills. So if someone wishes to pay mine for me on my phone, then more to them for the effort.

How they could turn that into paying themselves, I leave to the banks to sort out. No doubt they will help with that feature soon enough.

7. Fraggle850

But where's the attack vector?

I assume this would require malicious code to be installed on a device in order to leverage the internal multitasking? Not defending weak security practices in the Android environment, just curious.

By the way thumbs down for 'cyber' as a collective noun, just doesn't feel right.

How about a skynet of flaws? ROTM and all that, might work particularly well in an IOT context? Conveys a sense of impending menace as we surrender bit by silicon-hewn bit to our robot overlords

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But where's the attack vector?

guess the exploit would be via apps that haven't been properly vetted either in official stores or third party stores.

1. Fraggle850

Aye, but it would be nice to have that covered in the article. They've not identified any software exploiting said bug, have they? One would like to think that app stores would be checking for this...

2. P. Lee
        Unhappy

>the exploit would be via apps that haven't been properly vetted

The whole thing is designed to provide a way to download random software from people you don't know, have no relationship with and certainly and aren't (intentionally) paying any money to. What could possibly go wrong?

We measure trust by relationship cues, but IT replaces personal and real relationships with a mediated, crippled proxy for real ones. The trust measures therefore will always be garbled. If I go into a bank branch, I have a building (which I may recognise) and staff (again, whom I may recognise - or if I don't, I have confidence that someone does and would stop interlopers) which implies some investment and permanency. On a computer (of any sort) I have little picture of a logo. If I install stuff on a Windows computer, I'm fairly sure Mr Gates or Mr Cook haven't approved the action and I get little warnings ("admin privileges required"). On a phone, the phone vendor appears to have curated and certified apps which he is now encouraging me to use. There are no warnings about "admin privileges required" or "this may harm your computer." "GET" and "Download Now" is all over the place and the full-screen nature of applications further gives the impression that if you can't see an app, it isn't running.

I get that security is a hard problem, but knowing that, there should have been extra care taken in OS design, not dumping it all on the J/Dalvik/whatever VM which was originally designed to run trusted enterprise applications on protected servers. It feels as though we're back with IE6.

Most depressingly of all, the outsider in the mobile game, who is likely to need to be the most innovative and could use security as a USP to gain a foothold, is MS, and they have decided just to ape the others. They could have re-written Windows for mobile as Apple re-wrote IOS from OSX. MS could have rewritten Windows to build on all the things we have learnt about security, but they haven't. They just want to reuse existing code. Its the very worst of accountancy-driven product development and ignores the users requirements, stated or not. At least Apple try to anticipate users' needs. They may be locked into a mobile model with no incentive to change, but MS is not. As for Google, they've got profits, they should at least be hiring extra bodies for code review.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

thumbs down for 'cyber' as a collective noun

Yes. Could we please, please, please stop abusing the "cyber" prefix? It meant something when Wiener coined the term "cybernetics". Now the idiots have largely ruined it, but that's no justification for participating in this particular barbarism.

8. Adze

A facepalm of security flaws?

9. Chronos

Tip o' the hat to Mr Pratchett

"An embuggerance of flaws."

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Tip o' the hat to Mr Pratchett

In the name of preserving the good Anglo-Saxon tradition of alliteration (Beowulf and all that), I would turn that into

"An embuggerance of exploits"

Doffs hat (the Panama, today) to both Powernumpty and the late great Sir Terry Pratchett

10. PCS

If this was a Microsoft story you would all be tearing them apart.

1. petur
      Mushroom

nah, we're used to hear this stuff from Microsoft, that's why their security issues don't even get on news sites any more, it would get boring...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>If this was a Microsoft story you would all be tearing them apart.

I hope we are ripping Android to shreds. We get fixes for Microsoft products for at least several years. I might as well chuck my practically new Samsung phone in the bin.

And I don't believe the blame should just attach to the tardy phone manufacturers and operators - this is as much a consequence of the design of the Android ecosystem.

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

Re: >If this was a Microsoft story you would all be tearing them apart.

Yup. But unless you're Apple and do an end run around the whole damned game, that is how you have to start.

"Scuse me Samsung, Nokia, Sony, do you mind if I wrap your products in my branded software layer, which I control and will change when I like, without needing to check with you? *SLAM*"

Now we're into the next phase, with the populous demanding that Google take monopoly control over their phones. Just like Apple already has with theirs. Monopolies are cool, apparently.

1. asdf

>Monopolies are cool, apparently.

Not really but regular security updates sure are.

2. Loud Speaker

I get fixes for my two year old, carrier supplied, Samsung phone every few weeks, You must be doing it wrong.

I also get frequent notifications of "Security Policy Updates" - I have no idea what these are supposed to do, nor whether they are malicious - so I have to assume they are. If someone want some to take a security update seriously, they had better tell me what the change is, who they are, and how I can proved that they are not lying. I am really not thrilled at having my "security policy" updated by Goog, let alone hackers.ru or gchq, and if it is Samsung or 3, then they need to come clean about what the changes are. A "Security policy update" that allows my phone to put random charges on my bill without me knowing is not an attractive option.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

A Fright of Flaws?

Just my tuppence

12. Anonymous Custard

A wall of flaws?

Unless you get to a ceiling of them of course...

13. NP-HARD

Frottage

... of flaws

14. Caff

Python

Following on the tradittion of appropriating terms used in python sketches ( spam )

I propose 'lurgy' instead of 'cyber' as used in the Goon Show. To be preceeded by 'Dreaded' when required.

1. Alister

Re: Python

You can't get the wood, you know...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Fractal Defect

A defect which brings to light a certain architectural flaw, exposing entirely new classes of exploits and their variations.

Re: A Fractal Defect

Ooh, yes, a fracture of flaws. Maybe a rending. Could dip into nearby earthquake terminology too.

16. I_am_Chris

An alphabetti spaghetti of flaws...

As per subject

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a felatio of flaws...

Sucks to be android right now...

18. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Coat

A storey of flaws ?

Anyway, all of this seems to underscore what I said nearly two years ago, after messing around on the fringes of Android (because my wife has accessibility issues).

Android is a great toy operating system. But it's not ready for any real work.

Having bought a new phone, with a much later version of Android, I'm still of that opinion.

19. JASR

a clutch of flaws.

As Google scramble to clutch the straws of security

20. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Irongut

Re: It's a Cluster F**K !

I was just about to suggest a clusterfuck of flaws myself.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

I suspect that "Mongolian" or a "Mongolian horde" will pass through censorbots more easily.

2. Daggerchild Silver badge

Maybe a flustered cluck before watershed?

2. Notas Badoff
      Devil

Rather, it's a fucket full of flaws.

(for the non-bit-fiddlers, that's only one picked bit different)

3. xybyrgy

Absof**kinglutely!

21. Cosmo

An Omnishambles of flaws

Kinda sums it up

22. Arthur the cat Silver badge
    Devil

Collective noun

Given the seriousness of the flaws being found, the only possible term is "total clusterfuck", unless El Reg is being prudish.

In the time it took me to write this, betacam beat me to it.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well don't worry - surely these flaws will simply be fixed in an upd...

Oh wait.

1. Warm Braw

which is why a shirking might be a better collective noun...

24. Paul Herber Silver badge

An Alphabet of flaws

An Alphabet of flaws

A is for Android

B is for booboo

C is for crapware

1. asdf

Re: An Alphabet of flaws

No C is for cookie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye8mB6VsUHw

25. ItsNotMe
    Happy

Well...

...how about a 5hitload of flaws?

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A phisting of flaws?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hmm, that still party suggests an upwards movement, and as far as I can see it's all going downhill.

I'd call it a laxative of flaws on account of possible bowel loosening potential if you dare look at the sheer scope of this mess, also because you're up sh*t creek if you bought into this platform.

27. Captain Queeg
    FAIL

how about...

... a Flash of flaws?

or less opaquely

An Abobe of flaws?

1. ma1010
      Thumb Up

Re: how about...

Cap'n Queeg, you beat me to it. Have an upvote.

28. Steve Evans

Collective noun...

Shooorley a lot of flaws would make a tower block... Or high rise.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Autocorrect may help

Clearly it must be a gaoggle of flaws?

30. Anonymous Coward
  31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not call it a Google?

Given that Google has been trying to patch its, er, patchy history on security with running some teams, I think they fully deserve to be associated with this gaggle, no, google of security issues, and they must have set a record now. They've even beaten Microsoft's best efforts, and by some considerable distance.

After all, we also use terms like "doing a Ratners" ..

1. Fraggle850

Re: Why not call it a Google?

I did think along those lines but I think el Reg need a generally applicable term here and many fellow commentards seem to be focusing on the little green robot. It wouldn't work so well when applied to other proprietary systems: 'Microsoft patch Tuesday fixes a Google of edge flaws'?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Something else identified with Google. A beta of flaws, a hipster of flaws?

1. cynic 2

Go back to the roots - how about a Googol of glitches?

2. Captain DaFt

-Something else identified with Google. A beta of flaws, a hipster of flaws?-

Flaws+ of flaws? Naw... <ponders>... <inspiration!> Smedley, drumroll please!

A Corporation of flaws! Neat, and succinct.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

If we're talking about the corporation then how about an alphabet of flaws?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I did think along those lines but I think el Reg need a generally applicable term here

But that's the point - by naming it a Google you convert it into a generic term, and at the same time ensure this string of cockups is never forgotten. That's why I referred to "doing a Ratners" - that's now happened to a few companies, most notably by the BP guy after the Deepwater disaster where he decided to announce to the world that he'd go sailing in a clean bit of water.

The Android mess is now potentially at this level. There is also an aside that this is the *perfect* cover for Google to grab more of your data as you'd blame it on hackers, but that's off topic.

"a Google of" something: something that is fundamentally so screwed up that it resists any attempt at cleaning it up.

1. Fraggle850

I did consider your logic before posting and I do tend to agree with you linguistically and semantically but it seems a tad unfair to Adobe's venerable Flash. Sergey and Larry may be the new hotness but one shouldn't overlook the past masters.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Actually, you're right, that is an alternative along the same line. Maybe we ought to make "an Adobe of" and "a Google of" aliases of each other. The "Adobe of" more for software, and the "a Google of" for firmware and hardware.

I had been thinking about "a Flash of", but that leaves out so much other software that's creaking at the seams. The Adobe Air that BBC's iPlayer is using also sucks badly.

32. Irongut
    Mushroom

Google's holier than thou security researchers, who love to publish unpatched flaws in other's products, should shut their hypocritical dick holes and get to work fixing their own god damn products.

33. Your alien overlord - fear me

A 'WMD' of flaws - it's enomous, everyone knows about it but the powers that be deny it's existance

34. Charlie van Becelaere

Collective Noun

I would suggest a scoff of flaws.

You're welcome.

35. Seanie Ryan

Any Friday?

From the Video, Join our talk at 4pm Friday August 2015

eemmmm....

36. Fraggle850

Re: collective nouns

A former colleague used the term 'an expense of management' when said managers gathered at our office for meetings. Always quite liked that, never heard it since and wonder if he originated it?

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a smashering of flaws

title

38. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Mushroom

A moonshot of flaws...

39. GrumpenKraut
    Boffin

You have been phowned.

"The number you dialed is imaginary. Please hang up, turn you telephone by 90 degrees, and try again."

40. mikhey

Cluster of Flaws But NOT cyber plz

How about a cluster of flaws? Cyber is related to something else entirely to me. Cluster, however, as in Cluster F*ck, a Cluster of Flaws seems to work as it's a CF for both users & developers.

Just my 2 cents.

41. Nameless Dread
    Stop

A lift-shaft of flaws ?

title

42. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about..

A kiss of flaws, A scion of flaws, A nonce of flaws, A fix of flaws, A defect of flaws, A blush of flaws, A doodle of flaws, A aardvark of flaws, A abortion of flaws, A matrix of flaws, A singularity of flaws, A abyss of flaws, A band of flaws, A baptism of flaws, A banzai of flaws, A trench of flaws, A sigh of flaws, A bastard of flaws, A beast of flaws, A fog of flaws, A bilko of flaws, A blancmange of flaws, A botch of flaws, A campus of flaws, A cache of flaws, A cabbage of flaws, A quantum of flaws, A zest of flaws, A feast of flaws, A wrath of flaws, A vogue of flaws, A ulcer of flaws, A crush of flaws, A satchel of flaws, A sabot of flaws, A rodeo of flaws, A punk of flaws, A ounce of flaws, A orgy of flaws, A neglect of flaws, A minion of flaws....er.......A monkey tennis of flaws?

Re: How about..

An elevator of flaws? A tiling? An expo? A 13th?

A cleaner?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

TL;DR :)

43. arrbee

a snafu - situation normal, another flaw uncovered

( in the UK the 1st 2 words could be replaced with: sodding nora )

44. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Killin' Flaws

I should of quit you

A long time ago

I should of quit you Android

A long time ago

But you got me messin' round with you jellybean

You got me cryin' on a killin' flaw, yeah

etc.

Apologies to JH may he rest in peace.

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"A Fistfull Of Flaws"

A windows update of flaws.

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A house

of flaws

47. Bob Vistakin
    Facepalm

A schadenfreude of flaws

Coz Android security is a pile of Schmidt.

48. Eddy Ito

I'm torn. I like the current collective words such as brood of bugs, a bevy of breaches or an array of inadequacies but I'm not against hijacking a word to give it a new meaning like a fluster of flaws or an absurdity of exploits. Perhaps it deserves a new word but it would require someone smarter than I to invent, fortunately that's not exactly a high bar to clear.

49. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A droidgasm of flaws?

Although I do quite like either 'a googol of flaws' or a 'google'of flaws'. Has to point the finger at Google in some way for all time for releasing such an utterly shite OS on the world in the first place, IMO.

50. Eponymous Bastard
    Flame

Bored with this . .

. . because none of the journalists seems to be able to tell us how these exploits can happen. Side-loading? Dodgy wif-fi? What the fuck? Answers anyone?

51. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

an IOTa of flaws

or, to merge two other suggestions: a phistfull of flaws

52. Michael Thibault

And... we have...

many good contenders for the collective noun. Here's my suggestion:

a failanx of flaws

More at: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/phalanx

53. Toastan Buttar

Collective term

A mop of flaws?

54. Mystic Megabyte

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

As a way of remembering a great film and a great actor I propose a Tuco of flaws. OK maybe it does not scan well, how about a Senteza of flaws.

To save you the time:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060196

Hey! Where is the Android lusers icon?

55. Disko
    Thumb Up

A Bucket of Flaws... It's pronounced...

Bouquet !

Striped and irregular? That, they are too... Ditch the handpainted periwinkles though.

56. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely it should be a googol ?

57. Mike Bell

Android 7.0: Fisherman's Friend

So long, lollipops & marshmallows.

1. Chronos
      Trollface

Re: Android 7.0: Fisherman's Friend

Android 7 will be "Nougat." Pronounced "nugget" :-)

...because nut brittle, given this embuggerance of exploits, is too obvious.

58. Disko
    Coat

Flawgasm.

I'll get my coat. Mine's the one over by the striped irregular bucket...

59. YARR

A carpet of flaws?

or...

A patch Tuesday of flaws?

or...

A Labour Party manifesto of flaws?

60. fuzzie

A pwnage...or

...a sploit of flaws.

And if it ever gets fixed it can become an ex-sploit.

61. Dr. Ellen
    Flame

Bah, humbug!

Google installed most of those flaws themselves. Every app I get wants access to everything on my tablet. It wants the microphone, it wants the camera, it wants the wi-fi, it wants to be able to modify the contents of the SD card. Google did that so *they* could get at our data. All those other guys are just unintended (but unpatched) consequences. Google wants our data, and they weren't even competent enough to keep it to themselves!

62. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Glass of flaws

A clause of flaws

A cheese of flaws

A fail of flaws

A Paris of flaws

A overflow of flaws

A u-bend of flaws

Re: A Glass of flaws

A raw 4-core of flaws?

An outlaw in-law of flaws?

A Kaplah of flaws [Klingon for success]

A Kapelminferm of flaws [Eric the Cavalier trying to dispel an accidental raincloud while misusing Dungeon Master's powers]

63. Chris G

How about

A hackery or a hackup?

64. Get the puck outa here

Collective noun for security bugs

An Adobe of flaws, or if it is really bad, a whole Flash of flaws.

65. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How's aboot

A Layer Cake of Flaws?

Or, A Cake Of Flaws?

66. Desolate Space

A Panic of Flaws...

...or, reflecting the mainstream media's reaction, An Hyperbole of Flaws (though is doesn't roll off the tongue as well)

67. Daggerchild Silver badge

Location matters.

It's a pocketful of bugs, surely.

68. i steal your leccy

Or..

A GAME OF FLAWS

69. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BeeHive yourselves

A SWARM of flaws.

70. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

or how about

A Chagrin of Flaws

71. Daggerchild Silver badge
    Flame

*Smacks forehead*

A Towering Inferno of flaws!

Re: *Smacks forehead*

Or a collapse of flaws..

72. wolfetone Silver badge

And it's days like today how I wish my Nokia 3310 had a proper email client and a proper internet browser.

73. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh for the days when only diamonds and men had flaws...

A botch of flaws?

A flailing of flaws?

74. Richard Plinston

> We're told the vulnerability can be exploited to show a spoofed user interface, controlled by an attacker, when someone starts an app: the owner will not be aware that they are typing into another program masquerading as a legit application.

So the alleged 'vulnerability' is:

User is running latest version of Android with multi-tasking

User uploads malware app from unknown sources.

User starts malware app

User starts another app

Malware app spoofs app's screen*

User is confused and types into the wrong app

* only if malware app knows how to spoof that particular app.

75. DanceMan

Perhaps in light of the many recent disclosures we could say an android of flaws?

Smug BB 10 user, somewhat dismayed at the rumours of BB introducing an android model.

76. Captain DaFt

Well since they all seem to get used to put in backdoors, how about a Framer of Flaws?

77. gh4662

A Googolplexian of gaffs

78. John Tappin

Surely you can do this with almost all OS platforms

I sure an invisible desktop overlay or convincing copy could be deliverd on Linux/Windows too.

79. Roj Blake Silver badge

USENIX

Why do I always read this as UNISEX?

80. Positive ground
    IT Angle

To cover most OS:

A propensity of flaws

Thank you

81. Green Nigel 42

An Upfuck of flaws?

Doesn't look good for Samsung or for that matter Google's Wallet thingies.

Knox Knox whose there?!

82. Lomirak

Prepare to duck...

The Register of Flaws

Duck....

83. DuckDodgers

So what's new?

You need a new noun for an OS racking up security flaws? Really?

84. oneeye

It's a CYBERGEDDON ! Cyber by itself just sounds incomplete,or lacking. And could be confusing.

But it sure is reassuring that some bimbo at Google has the answers.....NOT !! Only the uninformed would buy that crap! Google needs to pull their collective heads out of their asses, BUTT quick. As do all the rest of the techies across the board.

85. Frank N. Stein

Just when I finally get up the gumption to move back to Android with my next phone, here comes vulnerability after vulnerability. Can't Android be made secure by anyone other than Silent Circle? Silent Circle won't sell to consumers, apparently. Just Enterprise customers deploying 25 or more devices.

86. sarel

General Advice

My advice always give your security Managementto An external company like www.offensive-security.com/. the Damage that can be is huge and you never Informed enough.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like